• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Seriously contemplating an attempt at a retro AD&D

Voadam

Legend
Huh, add that to the pile of AD&D rules I've completely missed and will continue to ignore...
The big addition of the Unearthed Arcana revision to that list, the 2 shots per round short bow.

1716005920596.png

Finished the PHB. It’s definitely anemic compared to later versions. Also, people were not kidding about the organization issues.

Started the DMG the other day. Now I’m wondering just what the heck is going on, and how the heck anyone could learn all these scattered rules, much less utilize them in a game that didn’t take hours for a single combat. I may need to reflect a bit on what I’ve already read, and let it soak in.

Voadam

Legend
Wow, that is something else. Hats off to those that actually use AC Adjustments in their games.

Now to go through all my AD&D OSR games and see how each one does things differently...
Official Basic D&D did not use rate of fire or AC adjustments, and a lot of OSR is based off of B/X.

OSRIC and Astonishing Swordwmen & Sorcerers of Hyperboria are standout 1e variants.

I tried to use the AC adjustments in practice for a while but the conceptual incoherence of doing that for straight armor AC when most AC numbers could represent both a specific armor or a different armor with a shield in AD&D ruined the purpose of it for me and I soon dropped it as extra fiddliness that would not execute its intended purpose.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Finished the PHB. It’s definitely anemic compared to later versions. Also, people were not kidding about the organization issues.

Started the DMG the other day. Now I’m wondering just what the heck is going on, and how the heck anyone could learn all these scattered rules, much less utilize them in a game that didn’t take hours for a single combat. I may need to reflect a bit on what I’ve already read, and let it soak in.
Yeah. No one actually played using all those rules. Not even Gygax. Most looked to some version of Basic to fill in the blanks or make sense of AD&D. The list of ignored rules is longer than the list of used rules.

Last edited:

Yeah. No one actually played using all those rules. Not even Gygax. Most looked to some version of Basic to fill in the blanks of make sense of AD&D. The list of ignored rules is longer than the list of used rules.
Makes me wonder if it’s less a total-package game, and more of a toolset for making your own game. I mean, he *was * a hobbyist gamer.

Remove ads