Seriously? Spellcasters will not be able to have many spell choices?

JLXC

First Post
So from what I'm gathering based on posting here, spellcasters will all be Sorcerors now? They'll all have a limited number of spells, and multiple uses of only those spells, and will not be able to choose from the hundreds or even thousands of spells from pervious editions?

So wizards will not be able to change their spells memorized? Clerics wont have access to the list? Every spellcaster will be like the Sorceror from 3.x????

Belphanior

First Post
JLXC said:
So from what I'm gathering based on posting here, spellcasters will all be Sorcerors now? They'll all have a limited number of spells, and multiple uses of only those spells, and will not be able to choose from the hundreds or even thousands of spells from pervious editions?

So wizards will not be able to change their spells memorized? Clerics wont have access to the list? Every spellcaster will be like the Sorceror from 3.x????

No class will be like the 3.x sorceror... not even the 4e sorceror.

All classes, it seems, are built around a at-will/per-encounter/per-day model. Whether or not wizards still know more spells than they can cast is unknown I think. It's entirely possible a wizard can know five at-will 1st level spells but can only pick two for his "at-will" slot for that particular day.

And we don't know the minutiae for the other classes either.

PS: When speaking of 3.x we talk about preparation, not memorization. ;)

JLXC

First Post
Belphanior said:
No class will be like the 3.x sorceror... not even the 4e sorceror.

All classes, it seems, are built around a at-will/per-encounter/per-day model. Whether or not wizards still know more spells than they can cast is unknown I think. It's entirely possible a wizard can know five at-will 1st level spells but can only pick two for his "at-will" slot for that particular day.

Heh, that describes the 3.x sorceror completely. Wow. I got blind sided by this one. Talk about extreme change?

withak

First Post
Don't overlook rituals. We don't know a whole lot about them, either, but IIRC new rituals can be discovered, bought, stolen, etc.

FourthBear

First Post
JLXC said:

Hmmm, I suspect that there are a couple of possible misunderstandings:

1) Wizards will definitely have some per day spells that *may* involve preparation. I believe the per encounter and at will spells will be chosen at leveling.
2) Of course, they will be able to *choose* from many spells at the time of leveling. Just as with every other class in every other editions, once they make that choice it is unlikely that they'll be able to add fifty other choices at a given spell level if they find the right spellbook or pay the right allied wizard.
3) No, clerics and druids probably won't have access to every spell designed for every member of their class in every core book and supplement. Thank the gods.

Also, there will be a class of powers known as rituals. The details on these are unclear, but apparently they allow characters and monsters to access a wide variety of magical effects if they meet the requirements. There are some that are apparently class restricted (i.e. one of the requirements for the ritual is that you be a member of a specific class). There is some speculation that they will also include rituals for non-spellcasters that function like incantations from the latter end of 3.5e (I hope, I hope).

So a wizard might not have to choose Planar Binding to put in his spellbook. But he may find and learn a Planar Binding ritual that doesn't fit into the same category as his typical per day, per encounter, at will spells.

JLXC

First Post
Ah, so rituals might take the place of some of the more "non-combat" spells. Well it might not be as severe then. Thanks for that, now to read up on Rituals.

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
JLXC said:

I suspect, given rituals, that every character can be like the 3.X wizard.

Derren

Hero
Wizards will be very much like sorcerers. They have a set of per day, per encounter (power words) and at will abilities that they can select. (How long this list is and if they can change this selection on a day by day basis or only when leveling up I don't know).

Also it seems to me that all of those powers will revolve around direct combat (damage dealing, buffing, debuffing. All other powers will be made into rituals and except from the name there is nothing known about them, not if monsters will have acces to dhem, not what they are exactly able to do, not if they are limited or even who is able to cast them and how often.

Remove ads