• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Session Accessories

AU0030~LED-Tea-Light-Candles_P2.jpg

I started using LED Tea Lights for players to use with Concentration spells (light = ON when a concentration spell is in use). This way the player can be reminded when they have a concentration spell up and not cast another one, or remind the DM to have a PC roll a Concentration check when injured. These two issues are very frequently overlooked in play and I've found a cheap little light like this has helped player situational awareness.

Nevvur

Explorer
That looks like a really cool system. Are the tiles all pre-written on, or can you do that as needed so you could have matching tiles on the Init line and on a battle map? That is, goblins are Green"A" for Init, but tiles A1 --> A4 on the map, a Bugbear commander is Red "B" and B1, etc.

Where are the tiles from?

I got the tiles at Amazon.com, tub of 400 for $18. Should be the first hit on a search for "colored plastic tiles" at the site.

They're blank. I painted the A, B,C 1-10 on the red, blue and yellow tiles. I use green tiles for player initiatives, and since characters change, I use a dry erase marker on them, usually just the first two or three letters of the character name. Helps me remember PC names, and I think it keeps the players a little more immersed when their turn comes up and I refer to them as their character.

As for associating initiative tiles with monster tokens (which are just Go beads), I typically match red to the numbered tokens, blue to the lettered tokens, and yellow to "other." If I were to redo all these pieces, I would tweak the system a bit, coordinate the matching a little better, i.e. use red paint to mark 1-10 on the white go beads for one set, use blue paint to mark 1-10 for another set, and so on.

Also, the black beads replace white beads when the monster dies, so everyone knows its a corpse.

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
I got the tiles at Amazon.com, tub of 400 for $18. Should be the first hit on a search for "colored plastic tiles" at the site.

They're blank. I painted the A, B,C 1-10 on the red, blue and yellow tiles. I use green tiles for player initiatives, and since characters change, I use a dry erase marker on them, usually just the first two or three letters of the character name. Helps me remember PC names, and I think it keeps the players a little more immersed when their turn comes up and I refer to them as their character.

As for associating initiative tiles with monster tokens (which are just Go beads), I typically match red to the numbered tokens, blue to the lettered tokens, and yellow to "other." If I were to redo all these pieces, I would tweak the system a bit, coordinate the matching a little better, i.e. use red paint to mark 1-10 on the white go beads for one set, use blue paint to mark 1-10 for another set, and so on.

Also, the black beads replace white beads when the monster dies, so everyone knows its a corpse.
That's a great system - very useful, yet cost effective. Real minis or pathfinder Pawns look cool, but man do they add up quick. I might steal some of these ideas for use on the DM side of things. If players want a more representative mini for themselves they can bring their own. Thanks for sharing this!

I should add that I have a nice big chessex mat (3x4ish) that's got to be 25 years old now and still like new. Super heavy duty - much more so than the new mats are. i also have a newer small mat (2x3ish). Great with wet-erase markers, but harder to clean up. Most recently I've taken to using a Noteboard that I got a few years ago at GenCon. Dry-erase, and easy to throw in my bag. 15x35" is usually big enough.

Last edited:

StinkyEttin

First Post
AU0030~LED-Tea-Light-Candles_P2.jpg

I started using LED Tea Lights for players to use with Concentration spells (light = ON when a concentration spell is in use). This way the player can be reminded when they have a concentration spell up and not cast another one, or remind the DM to have a PC roll a Concentration check when injured. These two issues are very frequently overlooked in play and I've found a cheap little light like this has helped player situational awareness.
Brilliant!

Remove ads