Setting up a no-frills VTT (for home games) for the non tech-savvy

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
I don't need / want linked rules, tokens, adventures, monster stats, etc.

All I want to do is stop using dry erase markers on a flip mat and having everything look terrible! Would use minis, pawns etc as normal on nicer looking map.

Old school idea is to have overhead projector pointed at table surface ;)!

What options do I have? What do I need, aside from laptop & display? Any tips appreciated.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Sorry this got no replies til now. I use a projector myself and Maptools. Just hook the digital projector up to the computer as though it were a monitor and cast the screen onto the table. I use Maptools because I can make it as simple or as complex as I want. Just want to make a map on your table and use your own minis? Works fine. Want to use the digital tokens, fog of war, vision blocking and line of sight functions? Can do that too. Free and versatile.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Old school idea is to have overhead projector pointed at table surface ;)!

What options do I have? What do I need, aside from laptop & display? Any tips appreciated.

Old school idea is to describe the scene to the players, and play it by ear.

But if that's too old-school, just use your laptop to log into Roll20, where it's super-easy to create maps, minis, and what-have-you. Just flip your screen real low where everyone can see it.

ProphetSword

Explorer
You could take an old TV and throw it on a table and use MapTools. My friend built a special table for us utilizing this idea, but you don’t need a special table to pull it off. Looks better than a projector...

2md5t1z.jpg

Remove ads