Settings...

thzero

First Post
Not sure if this is best place to post, but since there options are limited for 3.5... :)

I'm looking for a setting to be used in a setting. I know that sounds odd, but I've tired of the group's current setting (FR) but they also don't really want to stray too far from that "world". So was looking for a setting that I could kinda just slide into the existing world.

I'm looking for more of a gritty fantasy city feel thats more of a throwback to say Greyhawk style where magic is around certainly, but its not like everywhere you look there is a magic shop, etc. I've got the Thieves World and Freeport stuff from GR. And I do have Pathfinder CS, as a general setting, but is there any other decent city settings folks may know that may roughly fit the bill?

Thanks.

slwoyach

First Post
You could always just drop a city like Lankhmar in. I don't know how effective that would be though, the high magic world of Faerun wouldn't allow a place to remain low magic long.

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
You could always just drop a city like Lankhmar in. I don't know how effective that would be though, the high magic world of Faerun wouldn't allow a place to remain low magic long.

You could put the city in some sort of impeded- or wild-magic zone; shady folks would congregate there to avoid being scryed on and captured, high-level casters would avoid it because their powers would be diminished, and thus a gritty low-magic-ish situation would naturally develop.

thzero

First Post
To clarify my original post, I was looking for settings sources for 3.X, not just an idea.

Yes, thats what I had in mind especially since there are such things in the realms anyways.

You could put the city in some sort of impeded- or wild-magic zone; shady folks would congregate there to avoid being scryed on and captured, high-level casters would avoid it because their powers would be diminished, and thus a gritty low-magic-ish situation would naturally develop.

slwoyach

First Post
There are very few settings you can just drop into Faeurun. What exactly are you looking for? Lankhmar is a setting. Anything major like Greyhawk, Cerilia, Midnight, etc. would require major redrawing of the map. All you can drop in are cities such as Lankhmar or Freeport without upsetting too much.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
I met a guy once that stuck the L5R setting, Rokugan, into the Realms by putting it across the ocean, east of the Sword Coast. It did some fun things to his campaign.

If you're looking for a city, pick a 3.x city setting that you like, pick one of the dead zones in Faerun (there are many) and drop it squarely in the middle of said zone.

It's my experience that players who don't want to leave the Realms enjoy the lore, geography, and cosmology of the setting. What you're looking to do interferes with one or more of those, so it could get ugly. If it were me, I'd talk to one of my players (one of the hard-core Realms ones) and see how he felt about that idea, probably under the guise of asking him if there was such a city already (seedy city in a dead- or wild-magic zone, used by criminals to avoid scrying).

Good luck.

Remove ads