Several Combat Questions: tracers, suppressive fire, multi-attack damage, melee

raspberryfh

First Post
My players and I have dived pretty heavily into the combat at this point, which means we've come up with a lot of questions:

1) For tracers or beam weapons, what is the rationale behind making them take 2 actions to use? (one reason I've seen would be the possibility to turn your first attack into Aim with the chance for damage; the second attack is made at +1d6 either way but with tracers you get another attack in)

2) Do tracers from multiple people targeting the same person stack bonuses?

3) For strafe, whirlwind attack, and other multi-target abilities that cap damage at 1d6, is this blocked by SOAK or does it bypass SOAK? (in nearly every case, this 1d6 would likely end up completely soaked, so you'd potentially be spending an exploit for the option of wasting a round in combat). Additionally, can you apply other damage related feats (e.g. deadly strike) or other attack-related effects (e.g. tracers) to the attacks?

4) In the situation that someone is in melee range but using a ranged weapon (e.g. a shotgun) vs. a target using a melee weapon (e.g. a sword), is the shotgunner's attack vs. the target's ranged defense or their melee defense (since it's within 5', presumably the sword could be used to knock aside the barrel of the weapon as a functional application of melee defense)? Additionally, can the target use melee defensive feats like brush aside for ranged attacks made in melee range?

5) Shields do not provide their defensive bonus while in cover. Does this apply to someone benefiting from suppressive fire?

6) If Shooter A gives suppressive fire to Shooter B and then Shooter B uses tracers, does this reduce the cover bonus like it would if he was behind conventional cover instead? (my player argued that it should not, and ultimately I agreed with him)

7) In the supplemental material, the Stop Right There! feat doesn't specify that you have to make a melee attack. Does it allow a free action to attack (e.g. with a pistol) to make the target stop moving? Or would it have to be a pistol whip action rather than a shot?

8) Given the changes to how suppressive fire now works, is it just a blanket 2d6 cover bonus for the target? Does it still apply when the target is out of LOS of the suppressor? Does it apply to enemies attacking the target from out of LOS of the suppressor (i.e. people who can't possibly be targeted by his suppressive fire)? What about is LOS is replaced by range in the above 2 questions?

9) Scenario A: Red-Pistoleer and Red-Swordsman are in combat vs. Blue Shotgunner. The shotgunner has been house-ruled to not have a -1d6 penalty for firing at melee range. Does she get a -2d6 penalty for firing into melee? (I would think not since she's in the melee and has no allies to avoid hitting). Scenario B: Blue-Pistoleer is now in the mix as well. Since Blue-Shotgunner now has an ally in this melee but is also in the melee, does she fire at -2d6 to avoid hitting the Pistoleer or is she assumed to be able to direct her aim away from him?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
1. Because its far too easy with one action.

2. Nope.

3. SOAKed (so only of use against weak targets). You can add other effects as long as the exploit does say you can't.

4. Technically, no, but I do know of some groups who play it that way and it seems fine.

5. Suppressive fire is cover, so no.

6. I would rule yes.

7. The wording in Action Careers which is in front of me says "a free action attack". It is intended to be a melee attack, yes.

8. Yes, no, yes (you could rule otherwise, but I find the simpler version quicker to run in combat), I don't understand.

9. Firing into melee isn't the same as firing while in melee. You not need to avoid accidentally shooting yourself. If somebody else joins in, then sure, that complication has no appeared.

raspberryfh

First Post
So for #1, it's mostly a balancing issue?

8. Yes, no, yes (you could rule otherwise, but I find the simpler version quicker to run in combat), I don't understand.

To expand on my question of range: Shooter A is giving suppressive fire for Shooter B. Shooter B runs outside of the range increment for Shooter A's weapon; does he still have a cover bonus?

Similarly setup with Shooter A and B. Enemy 1 is firing at B from outside of Shooter A's range increment; does his attack suffer a -2d6 penalty?

9. Firing into melee isn't the same as firing while in melee. You not need to avoid accidentally shooting yourself. If somebody else joins in, then sure, that complication has no appeared.

So you would rule that a pistoleer involved in a melee would suffer -2d6 to their attack if an ally is also in the melee? Assuming they don't have precise shot.

The specific situation is that the pistoleer in question hides behind a large sword-and-board person with Protector. He engages someone and then she is the damage-dealer, all the while hiding behind the swordman and his large shield. If someone is directly in front of the duo, and the swordman is whacking at the enemy, would you make the pistoleer take the 'firing into melee' penalty?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You can't cove somebody out of range of your weapon, no. Though most weapons can fire out to five range increments, so it'll rarely be in issue.

The enemy's distance is irrelevant; suppressive fire depends only on the two allies.

I would say the gunwielder is firing into melee in that situation,yes.

Remove ads