• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SFX magazine has published a list of the top 10 science-fiction characters of all tim

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Ack, it's a poll. That means the only thing it shows it was the people in the poll thought. It is not representative of anything very much.

But YAY! Dr. Who, nonetheless. There's an enduring sci-fi legend for you.

And Kirk greatest Sci-fi character ever? Whyever...would that be...Mr Spock...?

Villano

First Post
Sixchan said:
Most bookshops I've been in have a "Fantasy & Science Fiction" section. The WHSmith in town has an entire set of shelves devoted to Fantasy and only the side end is Science Fiction.

There are some blurred lines, though. What about a futuristic world with magic? Sci-Fi or Fantasy? Sci-Fa?
Is Giant robot anime Sci-Fi, Anime, or Giant Robot Anime (as its own genre)?
What about Sci-Fi comedy, like Red Dwarf?

And what would Frankenstein be? I've seen it listed in TV Guide as Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Horror.

Alien is another good one. Sci-Fi or Horror?

It gets really complicated when you get into things like The Adventures Of Brisco County, Jr. Western, Fantasy, and Sci-Fi.

I think that genre is really ultimately meaningless now.

Look, it's a murder mystery set in the future in which the villain turns out to be a monster cowboy summoned by magic! :)

With that out of the way, that poll, how should I put it, sucked.

Kirk, Frankenstein (and/or his monster), Flash Gordon (who was the forefather of all the Kirks that followed), Ming (who was the forefather of all the Darth Vaders that followed), Superman, Terminator, Alien, and Lex Luther are all good choices which didn't make it to the list.

BTW, this poll reminded me of a magazine which ran an article a few years ago listing the 100 greatest sci-fi villians. Does anyone know what magazine it was and the issue? I remember not picking it up because it had, I think, a $10 price tag, and I didn't want to spend that much on a magazine.

I remember Ming, Vader, and General Zod from Superman 2 made the list.

garyh

First Post
Villano said:
It gets really complicated when you get into things like The Adventures Of Brisco County, Jr. Western, Fantasy, and Sci-Fi.

I loved that show!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers it. It'd make a neat D20 Modern game, if I remembered all the meta-plot stuff.

Last edited:

Welverin

First Post
garyh said:
I loved that show!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers it. It'd make a neat D20 Modern game, if I remembered all the meta-plot stuff.

Me too! Yet another one of the shows Fox sabotaged on Friday nights.

I still occasionally see it on TNT or another channel. I also caught the movie one day, which I hadn't knwon about before then.

Remove ads