• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shackled City Epic: "Vengeance" (story concluded)

Who is your favorite character in "The Shackled City"?

• Zenna

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Mole

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • Arun

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • Dannel

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • Other (note in a post)

Votes: 6 6.6%

Lazybones

Adventurer
Just a heads-up for my regular readers, who may not visit the old thread: the PDF format of Travels through the Wild West is now available on my website, http://lazybones18.tripod.com. Zipped, the file comes to 3.11 MB. A million thanks to reader/ENWorld member Padril, who formatted the document for me.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 15

Arun barreled down the confines of the narrow tunnel like a boulder rolling down a steep slope, heedless of trap or ambush. His arm stung where a skulk’s rapier had briefly penetrated his defenses, but he ignored the hurt as a trifling thing, certainly nothing in the face of the evil that required immediate smiting.

The others might be behind him, or might not; the thought did not distract him from his purpose. He was used to fighting alone, outnumbered but standing fast against the forces of evil. His new companions were competent enough, he supposed—even that bumbling boy-cleric. The gnome girl had surprised him again, forcing him to yet again rethink his assumptions about the inhabitants of the world outside the Rift. A world that was in many ways till new to him, a world into which he’d been thrust eight months ago.

He’d been engaged with a pair of the skulks, and had already taken one hit to the arm when she’d rushed boldly into the melee, apparently fearless, stabbing one of the skulks in the back with her shortsword. The creature had turned to face her, opening itself to a crushing blow from Arun’s hammer that had dropped it flailing to the ground.

He’d gotten a glancing hit on the other before it had disengaged and fled into this tunnel, but Arun was far too canny to assume that it was no longer a threat.

The tunnel ended up ahead, slanting up steeply to a small opening in the ceiling a good seven feet above the floor. This wasn’t going to be easy. Arun barely hesitated before shrugging out of his shield, and sliding his warhammer into the straps across his back. With his strong hands and feet working in unison he propelled himself up the steep slope, latching onto the edges of the opening and pulling himself through.

He’d expected the attack, so it was no surprise as he sensed the movement behind him. The attack was rushed, though, desperate, and instead of running him through the rapier just glanced off of his shoulder-plate, narrowly missing his neck. Arun heaved himself clear of the opening and rolled forward, one of his light hammers coming into his hand as he regained his feet and spun to face his adversary.

The skulk was fleeing, darting toward the far side of the room where one of the round gear-doors could be seen. It didn’t make for that closed portal, however, instead reaching for an empty torch-sconce set into the wall.

Its hand closed around it at the same moment that Arun’s hammer slammed hard into its back.

The skulk crashed into the wall and spun away, its legs thrashing as it let out a terrible moan of pain. Arun stepped forward to stand over it, his second hammer ready to hurl in his hand.

“No keel,” the creature said, huddling against the wall, covering its head with its arms. It spoke in Undercommon, a tongue in which the dwarf was fluent, a language commonly understood within the deep ways under the Great Rift. “Warf no keel, me helps, no hurts, no keel.”

Arun regarded it coldly, tapping the butt of his hammer against his open palm.

Mole, Zenna, and Ruphos found him there just a few minutes later, Ruphos’s mace glowing with the bright glow of a light spell. Zenna briefly reported the outcome of the failed ambush from behind, but their attention was fixed on their captive, who shrank from their scrutiny. The dwarf indicated the sconce that the creature had been trying to reach, and Mole quickly discovered that the wall contained a secret door, operated by turning the bracket to the side. They left that, for the moment.

The room was relatively compact, with one corner dominated by the hole leading down to the tunnel below. A foul stench filled the place, the source immediately obvious as the carcass of a slain creature. The thing was some sort of giant worm-like insect, its body culminating in a gaping maw ringed with almost a dozen long tentacles. Arun identified it as a “carrion crawler,” and all of them gave it a wide berth. There was also a small heap that turned out to be a collection of chain shirts and bucklers, obvious designed by and for gnomes. Mole examined those, and admired the workmanship. After a moment’s consideration, she took one of the chain shirts and shrugged into it, replacing her breastplate of boiled leather.

“Well, if we’re going to be getting into all these battles,” she said, at Zenna’s querying glance. Tucking her hair back over the rear of the shirt, she spun and asked, “How do I look?”

The others did not reply, their attention focused instead on the captive skulk, whom Arun was interrogating in a harsh, guttural language. Zenna walked over to them, noticing that the skulk cringed at her arrival.

“What have you found out?” she asked him.

“Well, they’ve been working with the gnome—the locksmith—all right,” Arun said. “Though he blames the kidnapping of the children on the ‘creepers.’ I imagine that they’re the ‘short ones’ that Ghelve spoke of.”

“Where are the children now?” Ruphos said. He looked at the wounded skulk with a mixture of pity and revulsion, but made no move to help it.

“It says that they’re somewhere below, in ‘Dar Drumbos Malachot’... ‘the Malachite Fortress’.”

“Why do I not like the sound of that?” Zenna asked.

“Oh, and he says he knows where the gnome’s rat is, if you care,” Arun said.

“Well, if we run across it, let’s take it,” Zenna said. “It can keep him company in prison.”

While Arun, Zenna, and Ruphos confronted the skulk, Mole had walked over to where they carcass of the carrion crawler lay. Her nose wrinkled as she studied it, but then she saw something that caught her eye. Walking around to the side of the creature, she prodded it with her sword.

“Hey, guys, I think I found something here...”

They turned as she lifted a heavy flap of rotting flesh that had been cut in the creature’s side. The smell redoubled as she revealed the creature’s insides, but she also revealed a pair of small wooden coffers that had been jammed into the crawler’s guts.

“Ah, sneaky little buggers,” Mole said. She grimaced as she reached in, her boot making a sickening plop as it stepped in the crawler’s decaying organs. After a few more exclamations, “Oh, that’s just gross! Oh gods, I’m going to be smelling that for a week!” Mole had both coffers out where they could all see them.

“We don’t have time to be playing around with dead bodies and treasure chests,” Ruphos said. “Remember the divine message... we may have already lost our chance to find the children!”

“Oh, there’s always time to play around with treasure chests,” Mole said cheerfully as she scraped the crawler’s guts from her boots with her sword and tried to get most of the gunk off of the coffers. Then she knelt before them, examining them carefully. “You guys have to finish questioning that skulk anyway—hey, shine that light over here, will you?”

Zenna caught Ruphos’s gaze and smiled, shrugging while she and Arun turned back to the skulk. The dwarf continued with his interrogation, while Zenna suggested a question or two for him to pose. The skulk seemed utterly broken, occasionally breaking into a screech or a wail of pain, his cries only growing worse when the dwarf threatened him. It became clear after a few minutes, however, that it knew little more than what it had already told him.

“It’s stalling for time,” Zenna finally said. “It knows that an alarm has probably been issued, and it expects others to come looking for us.”

“I suspect you’re right,” the dwarf said.

“Hoo, boy!” Mole exclaimed. She’d gotten the first of the coffers open, and was exclaiming over a hefty pile of copper, silver, and gold coins inside. Ruphos stood over her shoulder, holding aloft his lighted mace, impatience written clear on his face. “So what do we do with him?” he asked, gesturing at the skulk.

The answer came swiftly, as Arun suddenly brought his fist down, crushing the skulk’s head with a single solid blow from his hammer. Ruphos jumped, then turned on the dwarf with an angry look on his features.

“He’d surrendered!” he protested. “You... you killed him in cold blood!”

“Aye,” the dwarf said, meeting the cleric’s gaze squarely. “And what do you think he’d do, if our places were reversed? How do you think those children felt, when him and his pals crept into their rooms at night, and tore them away from the safety of their beds?”

Ruphos did not answer, but his feelings were clear in his face. Biting off a curse, the dwarf turned away. “Get your stuff,” Arun told them. “We’re getting out of here.”

Mole let out a small sound, hurriedly pouring the contents of the second coffer into a small sack. She tried to fit the sack, already bulging with the coins from the first coffer, into her backpack, but had some difficulty getting it to fit.

“Oh, here,” Ruphos said, taking the sack from her and lifting it. “Hey, this is heavy!” Still, he managed to fasten it to his belt, tying it fast with a simple knot.

Mole smiled. “Oh, yeah.”

The dwarf crossed to the torch sconce, turning it so that the secret door in the wall popped open. All of them, with the exception of Mole, who was trying to estimate how heavy the sack carried by Ruphos actually was, had grim looks on their faces as they moved back into the halls of Jzadirune.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 16

The secret door opened onto a corridor that ran ahead and to their left. To their left a set of stairs led down to the main hall where they’d fought the skulks, so they went straight, where the corridor forked again after a short distance, a side-branch heading off to their right. Reaching that intersection, they saw that to the right the corridor continued a short distance before ending in one of the gear-doors, while ahead it opened onto a room.

“What about these doors?” Zenna asked. “The skulks don’t appear to use them, and if they’re setting an ambush for us somewhere ahead, maybe we should try another route.”

“The skulk said they’re all trapped,” Arun reported. “That’s why they don’t use them.”

Beware the doors with teeth,” Zenna said. “That’s was in Jenya’s divination.”

“Gnome traps can be tricky things,” Mole confirmed. So they pressed on ahead, toward the chamber.

Ruphos’s light pushed back the shadows, revealing a oval-shaped room with a vaulted ceiling a good fifteen feet above. Another passage identical to the one they entered through exited on the far side of the room, and another gear-door was visible in the wall to their right. But their attention was drawn to the center of the room, where a stone-rimmed bath easily twenty feet long took up much of the floor space in the room. A grinning stone mouth poured water into the bath from above, which in turn swirled into a drain on the far side. But that wasn’t what had caught their eye; rather, it was the network of cobwebs that cluttered the ceiling, and the man-sized husk that dangled from them just above the center of the pool.

“Ugh, spiders,” Mole said.

“I think I know the drill here,” Zenna said. “We go for the body, expecting to find some nice treasure, and then the spider—probably hiding somewhere above—goes for us. No thank you.”

“Maybe we should go back, through the main hall,” Ruphos suggested. “There were several other exits without doors that we didn’t try.”

“Bah, it’s just a bug,” Arun said, stepping into the room. They noticed that he remained near the wall, however, giving the pool a wide berth as he headed for the far exit. The others followed, all eyes on the webs above.

“Too bad,” Mole said, glancing at her soiled boots. “I could’ve used a bath, too.”

They were halfway around the room when the spider leapt out of the pool—apparently not inconvenienced in the least by all the water—and sprang at the gnome.

The thing was the size of a pony, but several times as fast, darting forward with its eight hairy legs clacking slightly on the stone floor as it moved. Its fangs were the size of daggers, and it stabbed them as Mole as the gnome shrieked and tried to get out of the way. Her crossbow went off, but in her panic the shot went wide, glancing harmlessly off of the far wall of the room.

Ruphos, just a few steps behind her, surged in, grabbing the gnome even as the spider lunged. Its fangs snapped on empty air as the cleric spun and dragged Mole out of its reach, tossing her behind him. The spider did not relent, immediately turning on the human and directing its terrible bite at this larger, juicier prey. Ruphos screamed as the vermin bit him in the leg, injecting its poison into the wound.

The cleric’s companions rushed to his aid. Zenna fired her crossbow at its fat abdomen, but the bolt merely glanced off of its leathery hide. Arun was there a moment later, charging with his heavy warhammer at the ready. His blow caught the spider solidly into the center of its torso, and there was an audible crack as the beast sagged under the force of the blow. It turned toward the dwarf—slower, this time, clearly crippled—but before it could mount a new attack, Mole darted in behind it and thrust the length of her small blade into its body. With a terrible screech, the spider crumpled, its legs twitching violently before it finally fell still.

“Ruphos, are you all right?” Mole asked, as the cleric leaned against the wall, his face a rictus of pain. He was clutching the wound with both hands, and soon they could see the glow of healing spread from his fingers into the wound.

“It... the poison... I’ll be all right, just a little weak,” he said.

Zenna, who was reloading her crossbow, glanced up and saw two more spiders descending from the webs, one crawling along the slanted wall toward them while a second dropped on a slender strand of webbing directly toward Arun. These were smaller, perhaps the size of small hounds, but still imposing as they dropped to attack. “More of them!” she shouted, quickly fumbling a bolt into place.

“Blasted bugs!” Arun shouted, as the spider dropped onto his shoulder. It tried to bite him, but its sharp fangs only glanced off of the metal plates of his armor. Arun snapped his hammer up into its face, knocking it roughly off of him to the floor a few paces away, where it skittered, dazed.

The second spider looked to be heading toward Ruphos, but Zenna’s bolt transfixed it, holding it against the wall for a moment before it fell heavily to the floor. Ruphos drew quickly back out of its way.

Mole, meanwhile, drew a bead on the spider Arun had wounded. She drew a long knife out of her boot and hurled it at the vermin, scoring a hit to the head that finished the creature.

The four companions scanned the webs, looking for more attackers, but it seems that if there were more spiders, they were content to let the adventurers be for now. “Let’s get out of here,” Zenna said, her crossbow covering the webs as she backed away.

No one disagreed, so they left via the other passage, Ruphos still limping slightly as he followed behind.

wolff96

First Post
Funny note about this room: When my party arrived, the lizardman was splattered with skulk innards from a "questioning session".

So the first thing he said when I described the room was "I go over to the water and dunk my head, then start washing off the gore.

The spider's first attack was a rather nasty shock for him. And I couldn't have ASKED for a better setup.

-------------------------

I'm really enjoying this one, LB. I love the new crew and your writing is spectacular as always. But this one has the added fun of dredging up all of my old memories of my own party.

Game on!

Lazybones

Adventurer
wolff: You DID mention the webs, right? That's just too funny.

Thanks for the kudos, I'm enjoying writing again as well (though I often have to go back and make minor corrections after I go home and look at the mod each night, I can't bring the magazine into work, obviously ;) ).

On the other hand, I'm getting to know the module VERY well through writing this story...

Kaodi

Hero
PCs

I might be just really confuse, it wouldn't be the first time, but I digress... Do you actually have PCs, or is this all made up by yourself? If so, do you actually play through the module with the characters you made up, or just write the story?

Lazybones

Adventurer
Re: PCs

Kaodi said:
I might be just really confuse, it wouldn't be the first time, but I digress... Do you actually have PCs, or is this all made up by yourself? If so, do you actually play through the module with the characters you made up, or just write the story?
It's all fiction, based on the modules in the series. No players. I write most of this at work, so I don't actually roll dice, but I otherwise write according to the 3.5 ruleset (i.e. if you read my action scenes, you should be able to see the mechanics behind the descriptive text). And I try to remain faithful to the rules; for example Arun will score crits about once in every 20 or so swings (actually a little less, since not every threat is confirmed). If you see any glaring errors, feel free to post them, and I'll try to avoid making the same mistake in the future.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Black Bard

First Post
Great writing as always, Lazy!!!

Made me curious about the Adventure Path...

As you put in the Rogue's Gallery, it seems to me that Ruphos isn't a "PC", right? Maybe we are to meet one more "PC", huh??;)

Lazybones

Adventurer
Black Bard said:
As you put in the Rogue's Gallery, it seems to me that Ruphos isn't a "PC", right? Maybe we are to meet one more "PC", huh??;)
Well, technically he's an "NPC," since he was provided in the module. But all of my regular readers know that I treat my NPCs with the same care and respect that I show my regular "player" characters. :rolleyes:

P.S. I made note of your request earlier in the thread, and it's quite possible that one of the "fair folk" of Faerun might be making an appearance later in the story...

Black Bard

First Post
Well, technically he's an "NPC," since he was provided in the module. But all of my regular readers know that I treat my NPCs with the same care and respect that I show my regular "player" characters.
I'm quite sure you treat!!! I was just wandering if Ruphos was going to stick with the party in the future... a mere speculation...:D

P.S. I made note of your request earlier in the thread, and it's quite possible that one of the "fair folk" of Faerun might be making an appearance later in the story...
Thanks, Lazy!!! You know how to treat a reader with care and respect...;)

Last edited:

Remove ads