• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shackled City: Week Ten

JoeGKushner

First Post
KenM said:
I picked up the hardcover for it because I did not have all the Dungeon mags with them. I like it but the only thing I wish it came with was a pull out booklet for the NPC/ monster stats, organized by chapter. All the monster/ NPC's stats are in the back of the book, in alphabetcal order, makes for alot of flipping back and forth during an encounter.

It'd be nice to have this available as like a password protected download or something because you are 110% correct.

Numion

First Post
KenM said:
I picked up the hardcover for it because I did not have all the Dungeon mags with them. I like it but the only thing I wish it came with was a pull out booklet for the NPC/ monster stats, organized by chapter. All the monster/ NPC's stats are in the back of the book, in alphabetcal order, makes for alot of flipping back and forth during an encounter.

That is a bummer. I remember dealing with the same in RttToEE, and then I had even photocopied the section. But I'm a naturally bad organizer :\

Otherwise it's a great book, and I'm starting it next month. It complicates gaming a bit when my players' number of children has gone from 0 to 4 since we completed RttToEE.

Can't wait to start.

alan

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
It'd be nice to have this available as like a password protected download or something because you are 110% correct.

Agreed. I'm starting our Shackled City campaign tonight, and have been trying to get as much information into a wiki on my laptop to limit the need of page flipping, etc. I understand why they put the stat blocks in the back, but it really is a pain.

If they released a pdf of that appendix, it would be amazingly helpful. However, I don't know how they'd restrict access to only those who've bought the books.

Alan

KenM

Banned
Banned
I downloaded the player handouts as a PDF from the pazio site. It was not password protected or anything. Anyone could get it.

Davelozzi

Explorer
KenM said:
I downloaded the player handouts as a PDF from the pazio site. It was not password protected or anything. Anyone could get it.

What folks are talking about here is not the player handouts, it's the appendix with all of the stats for NPCs and stuff.

scourger

Explorer
I'm trying to get the nerve to restart my Shackled City "funky D&D" game. We did the 1st 2 modules in the mags. It took 7 mos. I've got to speed it up. Maybe the hardcover would help, but I think it's the rules & requisites of D&D (esp. magic) that are slowing it down.

Anyhow, the encounters are pretty tough. Don't be afraid to either downgrade the baddies or upgrade your PCs. There are plenty of posts here about the former. The latter is what I tried for my group, but there was still plenty of hot death to go around (even with lightsabers & lawgivers in the mix).

Good luck.

Ry

Explorer
Thanks to the sconce, I got the first module done in 1 session. Praise to the sconce!

(Basically, there's a torch sconce that is mentioned in the first stairway down to the first dungeon, and it is a secret lever to an elevator down to the second level. THe way it's worded in the module, it's really hard to miss. My PCs immediately started asking about the positioning of the sconce and played with it until it triggered the trap, and stuck with it till they opened the secret door).

alan

First Post
Thanks for the tip - when my players get there, I'll be sure to try and make it as normal looking as possible.. ;>

Our first session went well last night, with lots of good roleplaying. Unfortunately, we didn't get as far as I would have liked. However, the characters have a good feel for the setting, several clues, and a quest. What more could I ask for?

Remove ads