• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadow Conjuration/Evocation and Material Components

interwyrm

First Post
In the SRD at least, I see nothing in the Shadow X spells about requiring the material component for the spell that they mimic.

Does this mean that Shades could be used to, for example, cast Trap the Soul on a gem made of shadowstuff?

Jack Simth

First Post
Theoretically.

But that kind of thing gives the DM headaches.

In the case of a Shades (Wall of Iron), the lack of a material component doesn't hurt anything (but the fact that the instantaneous and thus *non-magical* wall you just created permits a will save to disbelieve and Spell Resistance to ignore, gives headaches).

When you get to spells with "active" components (that is, components actively described as being used for something; (the doll for Contingency (accessible by way of Greater Shadow Evocation) is listed as being required on the caster's person for the contingency to take effect, the gem for Instant Summons must be crushed to complete the spell and call the item, the gem for Trap the Soul actually contains the creature, and so on) the DM has a call to make: RAW, there's no need for the foucs/component. So what happens? Spell can fail, spell can fake up the component, whatever - but it's the DM you need to ask.

interwyrm

First Post
Just a quick note... Shadow spells create a semi-real thing made out of a shadowstuff. The wall of iron you mention is in fact 80% real. If you try to walk through it by disbelieving it, I imagine you'd 'run into' some problems.

Jack Simth

First Post
interwyrm said:
Just a quick note... Shadow spells create a semi-real thing made out of a shadowstuff. The wall of iron you mention is in fact 80% real. If you try to walk through it by disbelieving it, I imagine you'd 'run into' some problems.
That depends on DM interpretation. It is 80% real. But the Shadow Conjuration line of spells defines what it means by 80% real. Summoned critters (that are disbelieved) have 80% damage, and they always have 80% HP. For a "special effect other than damage", it is 80% likely to work on the disbelieving critter.

Now, while 80% hardness/HP ruling is probably the most sane, as written, if you disbelieve that wall, you've got a 20% chance of walking right through it unhindered... provided that getting in your way is a "special effect other than damage". Or, to put it another way, does the save for Greater Shadow Evocation matter when duplicating a Wall of Force?

Did I mention this spell can give DM's headaches?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads