Shadow Demon, Qullan, Stunjelly

Quasqueton

First Post
Plane Sailing, if I remember correctly, you designed the Shadow Demon that appeared in the original AD&D Fiend Folio. If so, you are credited with the Qullan and Stunjelly, too. Circa 1979?

I was rereading the first page of the FF last night, and it got me wondering: How does the published creatures you created compare to what you originally created? Is the text yours, or heavily edited? How did you come up with those creatures? Did you playtest them with your personal group? How did they react to them?

In general, what's the story behind the creatures and their publication in the FF?

Quasqueton

Last edited:

Quasqueton said:
Plane Sailing, if I remember correctly, you designed the Shadow Demon that appeared in the original AD&D Fiend Folio. If so, you are credited with the Qullan and Stunjelly, too. Circa 1979?

I didn't know that. Cool! I've a soft spot in my heart for the Qullan: loved the creature back when I was a wee lad. :)

joe b.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
jgbrowning said:
I didn't know that. Cool! I've a soft spot in my heart for the Qullan: loved the creature back when I was a wee lad. :)

joe b.

They are prominently featured and feared in an area of my setting.

As anyone who has been on these boards for any length of time knows, the 1E Fiend Folio is my all-time favorite source for monsters and Alex/Plane-Sailing is one my personal heroes. . . ;)

Garnfellow

Explorer
The shadow demon first appeared in "The Fiend Factory" column of White Dwarf 13, and was revised for inclusion in the Fiend Folio.

All of the monsters that were submitted for WD had to have had at least some editing before being included in the Fiend Folio -- the original WD monster format was a stripped down version of the AD&D MM format, and would have needed expansion (adding a "% in Lair," and "Frequency" lines, for example). In general, a little more text was added, usually to clarify special abilities and expand some environmental/social information.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Quasqueton said:
"Alex" is not the name given credit for these creatures in the FF.

Quasqueton

Boy, is my face gonna be red if I got Plane's name wrong - seeing as I have met him in the flesh and all. .

Remove ads