• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadow spawn question

boerngrim

Explorer
Hi. Recently in my campaign a PC was strength drained to death by a shadow and became a shadow. The other pc's killed the new shadow. My question is, when a character becomes a shadow spawn what becomes of their body? Does their physical body become the incorporeal shadow, or is the shadow a "spirit" that emerges from the remains? This came up because I wasn't sure if there was anything left to have raised.
Thannks in advance for any help.

Drowbane

First Post
DM Fiat; what do you think happens when a Shadow spawn becomes?

Personally, I have them rise up from the fallen corpse.

frankthedm

First Post
No mention either way, so DM's call.

I'd say the body is left behind as the shadow is born. Though i do like using an incoporeal monsters corpse as a plot device, so maybe I am biased.

Do note, you can never raise or reincarnate someone who becomes an undead critter. Resurrection is needed to restore life in 3E & 3.5

Drowbane

First Post
frankthedm said:
Do note, you can never raise or reincarnate someone who becomes an undead critter. Resurrection is needed to restore life in 3E & 3.5

Thanks, Frank, thats what I was trying to remember :D

boerngrim

Explorer
Thanks! I was going with the body left behind as a rule of thumb for all incorporeal type undead. Yeah I knew that raise dead doesn't work on the departed who become undead, Brain fart on my part. :) Thanks again.

Remove ads