• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadowrun 5th Houngan Build Advice

SuperSam888

Explorer
Hello all. I have a concept for a Shadowrun character that I really want to create but cannot decide how to go about doing it. I want my character to be a Houngan, or Vodou priest, that is grim, charming, and quirky all at the same time. I want him to be a Magic user, but cannot figure out what kind would be best.

I use 5th edition Shadowrun, and have the core rulebook and shadow spells, but can get
the core magic book (I forget what it is called) if I need to.

I was thinking using magic involving death, illusions, and spirits.

Any ideas? I would appreciate any help I can get.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, I think you're looking at using a Shaman for this - bases off Will and Charisma for magical effects.

I'm working off just the core rulebook, but "death" is not a spell type the core rules recognize. There's Combat, Health, Manipulation, Detection, and Illusion. Not that there aren't spells that fit the theme in those areas, but they aren't bundled in one bunch that has mechanical implications. Decrease Attribute in the Health sphere for example, and Death Touch in the Combat type.

If you wan to work with spirits, take a high Conjuring. Most voudoun stuff thematically translates into Spirits of Beasts (for, say, snakes) and Spirits of Man.

Some of the Artificing might be themed to be appropriate for potions and dusts - ask your GM about that.

If you want a Mentor Spirit, the "Seducer" would be appropriate for some lwa, like Baron Samedi.

SuperSam888

Explorer
Well, I think you're looking at using a Shaman for this - bases off Will and Charisma for magical effects.

I'm working off just the core rulebook, but "death" is not a spell type the core rules recognize. There's Combat, Health, Manipulation, Detection, and Illusion. Not that there aren't spells that fit the theme in those areas, but they aren't bundled in one bunch that has mechanical implications. Decrease Attribute in the Health sphere for example, and Death Touch in the Combat type.

If you wan to work with spirits, take a high Conjuring. Most voudoun stuff thematically translates into Spirits of Beasts (for, say, snakes) and Spirits of Man.

Some of the Artificing might be themed to be appropriate for potions and dusts - ask your GM about that.

If you want a Mentor Spirit, the "Seducer" would be appropriate for some lwa, like Baron Samedi.

Thanks, this helps a lot. I know death isn't a spell type, I meant thematically. In shadow spells, there are spells like Ghoulish Strength, Inflict Disease, and Rot, which are death-ish spells to me. I will definitely use these suggestions.

dmfubar

First Post
You definitely want to pick up Street Grimoire. There is an actual Vodoun Tradition (Charisma based) and goes into detail about being a Possession School, where the summoned spirits, or Loa, can possess you or others/objects. I haven't played with it personally, but it looks interesting. the book also gives a selection of spells/adept powers that are appropriate for the tradition.

Remove ads