[Shadowrun] Seattle Calling (Chp 1 Completed 1/25/2009)

Zen_Pollo

First Post
Chapter 1: The Ferry

Engines stop running and the wheat is growing thin
The Clash, London Calling

Setting: The upper passenger deck of the 9pm ferry from Downtown Seattle to Renton. The passengers had the pinched look of those accustomed to indoor climate-control being forced to endure what otherwise might be a merely chilly evening.

That night, Carlito, Slone and Alexander found themselves seated on the upper-deck of the ferry waiting for Tommy Toledo to arrive. The trio spoke little to one another until Carlito broke the silence, “We’ve been set-up.”

“You think so?” said Slone shaking his head. Slone fingered the weapons he carried underneath his windbreaker. The note Mr. Jordan had passed him earlier had the number of a bus terminal locker which contained some rather interesting goodies.

“Yes, I do think so – it is quite obvious.” stated the oblivious Carlito. Carlito’s mind was still distracted by the data packet Sadie had sent. Most of the data packet contained schematics for the cybernetic nano-hive Carlito carried in his bowels. Sadie also added a picture of herself holding a camera and smiling. What was that about? thought Carlito.

“Well, I don’t have a job anymore, and they already paid us for this one, so I suggest we listen to what the man has to say,” reasoned Alexander.

Tommy arrived shortly thereafter wearing a full-length trench coat looking like he had had a very long day. The human nodded at the trio and plopped down on the bench next to Carlito. Carlito squirmed a bit and scooted exactly three inches further away from Tommy.

“Howdy, want a drink?” asked Tommy as he pulled out a silver flask from his coat pocket. Slone’s audio-enhancement ear-buds detected the faint whir of a device being turned on and then his audio enhancement went dead. Must be a white-noise generator, thought Slone.

“No? Suit yourself,” grumbled Tommy as he took a long pull.

“Where are the others from the golf outing?” asked Alexander.

“They couldn’t make it. Let’s get to brass tacks gentleman,” started Tommy, “Listen closely, you have all been given severance from your previous employers, but I have a new position for you as independent contractors. However, the time is coming where you have to make a choice – either stay on with me or take your chances on the street. Well?”

Nobody moved except Tommy, who took a pull from the flask.

“Alright, you’ve all been selected for this special assignment by your respective corporations. You’ll be taking orders from me and me alone. You are to have no contact with your former corps, got it?” Each of the trio nodded.

“Now, you’ll be paid on retainer, fifteen thousand Nuyen per month with health coverage under the Docwagon Gold Card.”

“What kind of work are we doing?” asked Slone.

“The kind where you don’t ask any legal questions and you do what you’re told, understand?” replied Tommy. “Got it,” answered Slone.

“Now, there will be a variety of activities taking place. You are expected to be ready at a moment’s notice. However, in between assignments you are free to do whatever pleases you.”

“Are we going to have a lab and a workstation?” asked Carlito.

“What are you talking about, Lontoh? Have you even been listening to me?” replied an exasperated Tommy, “No workstations, no Labs, no offices and no liability for your corps, got it?” Not having much choice in the matter, Carlito nodded woefully.

Tommy took another gulp from the flask, “Are you done with the questions? Good, now here’s your first assignment.” Tommy removed an eight centimeter square case from inside his trench coat and handed it to Carlito. The case automatically requested to subscribe to Carlito’s Personal Area Network(PAN) and Carlito gave approval via his commlink. An ARO popped up indicating the status and performance metrics for the device. Carlito could see that the case was a miniature cold storage unit for carrying biological samples and that two blood samples were stored within its alloyed casing.

“What are we supposed to do with this?” asked Carlito with a sinking feeling.

“I want you to exchange the samples in that unit with some samples at a government bio-med storage facility in Tacoma,” stated Tommy as he sent an ARO to Alexander containing the details of the facility and the sample IDs in question.

“The samples from the storage facility are to be destroyed. The samples in this unit are to be placed in the testing apparatus at the storage facility and you must initiate the exact tests indicated in Alexander’s file.”

“Once the new samples are in place and the testing procedures initiated, you must then destroy all evidence of the previous samples – both physical and information. That means you must go to the data-store in the complex and erase all the records associated with the previous sample IDs. With me so far?” Tommy paused as he took a swallow from the flask.

“Now, this mission must be completed with no notice by the authorities. The new samples must appear as if they were the originals and the new test results must appear authentic.”

“Most importantly, there must be no evidence linking these samples to me.”

Of course not, thought Alexander. As the elf thought about the trail of events leading to his present circumstance, he noticed the sound of a motor boat swiftly approaching the port side of the ferry.

What the frack is that? thought Slone.

That doesn’t look safe at all, thought Carlito as the motorboat came alongside the ferry and a number of gangers started to board the vessel.

Slone jumped up, rushed to the top rail of the upper deck and peered at the motorboat which was situated below him just 10 meters towards the bow of the ferry to his left. Slone noticed the motorboat was teeming with gangers wielding pistols and Molotov cocktails. “Great,” sighed Slone,”Looks like a bunch of Halloweeners!”

“There are more on the other side!” exclaimed Alexander as he heard a second boat pulling up to the starboard of the ferry.

“What the frack!” exclaimed Tommy as he leaped up, dropped his flask and ran to the opposite side of the upper deck.

Slone wasted no time, reaching inside his windbreaker and extracting a high explosive grenade. Popping the top and easily lobbing the grenade into the port-side motorboat from his vantage point on the upper deck, Slone cried out, “Fire in the hole.”

Dumbass! thought Alexander as the gangers in the port-side boat all made a break for the ferry before the grenade went off. Yet Alexander had a plan – the elf extended his perceptions to astral space and pulled down some mojo. The elf shaman started his own version of the Great Ghost Dance and crafted a Control Action spell. Targeting one of the gangers, Alexander directed the poor sod to pilot the boat away from the ferry – hopefully before the grenade went off and the gangers made it onto the vessel.

Meanwhile, Carlito made a dash down the stairs from the upper level to the lower deck. Just as Carlito reached the bottom, two of the gang leaders wielding pistols and Molotovs jumped from the motorboat to the lower desk of the ferry not 6 meters in front of Carlito. Frenzied, Carlito whipped out his pistol and took a shot at the gang leader closest to him. The bullet tore into the ganger leader’s shoulder and blood sprayed onto Carlito’s face. Hot Drek, thought Carlito whom had never shot a man before, Sweet mother protect me!

On the starboard side of the boat, the gangers leaped aboard the ferry and tore into the passengers on the lower deck, slicing them with their hand razors and cyber spurs. A couple of gangers raced up the stairs on the starboard side of the upper deck and accosted Tommy as he ran towards that side of the boat.

“Frag that Corp! Stick a razor in his Arse!” yelled Mad Haridgan, one of the gang leaders pointing to Tommy. Slone turned away from the port side and quickly drew his Ares Alpha. Firing a burst at the first minion whom threatened Tommy, Slone blasted at the ganger until his dead form flipped backwards over the balcony rail and landed on a car parked below on the lower deck – the lit Molotov in the ganger’s hand exploding on impact.

As Slone dispatched the ganger, his grenade finally went off, capturing most of the gangers scrambling over the port-side railing. Carlito watched in horror as the man he had just shot was captured first by the High Explosive grenade blast and then incinerated by his own Molotov which detonated in the secondary explosion. The entire port-side railing went up in flames as one after another, the gangers succumbed to the grenade blast and the flames of their own fiery cocktails. Soon a gasoline-fueled inferno roared in front of Carlito as the gangers writhed in pain and fell flaming into hell.

Mother forgive me, sobbed Carlito as he ran away from the flames to the starboard side of the lower deck.

Alexander was leaning over the rail when the grenade blasted the gangers to smithereens. Unfortunately for the elf, the blast literally rocked the boat and Alexander fell over the rail as he attempted to maintain concentration on the ganger he had directed to drive away in the motorboat. The elf cried out as he made a last ditch effort to grab on the rail and save himself from failing into the growing conflagration unfolding below his feet.

Of the ten gangers on the port-side motorboat, only two survived as they drove off under Alexander’s control. The grenade-damaged motorboat left a pume of smoke as it limped away from the fray.

Seeing the troll dispatch the ganger up-top, but also seeing reinforcements boiling up the stairs from the lower deck, Tommy dashed towards the same port-side stairs Carlito ran down earlier and hid in between the vehicles parked on the lower deck.

Carlito noticed Tommy attempting to hide between cars and thought to himself,Smart Man! However, Carlito turned to the gangers still accosting passengers on the lower starboard deck. Hiding behind a parked vehicle, Carlito fired some shots at the gangers and cursed as his gun jammed.

The three gangers seized the opportunity and fired shots at Carlito; the bullets screeched off the truck of the car Carlito cowered behind.

Up top, Slone starting laying into the gangers scrambling up the stairs to the upper deck near the wheelhouse of the ferry. Using his Ares Alpha submachine gun, Slone mowed down one, then another ganger just as they reached the upper deck. The flames from their dropped Molotov cocktails quickly engulfed the wheelhouse whose occupants started screaming. Watching the troll lay waste to his minions; Mad Hardigan ducked behind another passenger and took aim at the troll with his pistol. The shots bounced off the troll’s armored jacket like so many drops of rain.

Screw this! thought Slone as his synaptic accelerator kicked into gear. The bioware juiced Slone’s system so that the entire scene took on a slow motion quality. Under the effects of his newfound speed, Slone ran width of the boat and leapt off the rail into the air above the motorboat tied to the starboard-side. Falling in slow motion, Slone rotated his body mid-flight and noticed the backs of the gangers shooting at Carlito. Slone squeezed off two bursts from his Alpha into the back of the one the gangers and the Halloweener seemed to drop as slowly as Slone himself. As the ganger slumped slowly into death’s embrace, Slone turned his head towards the motorboat below him. Oh Drek! thought Slone as he crashed into the motorboat deck. The falling 350 kilogram troll crushed the one of the bench seats and cracked the fiberglass passenger deck of the motorboat.

Hearing the crash of the troll and seeing the flames sprout up both underneath him and from the wheel house, Alexander thought to himself, I did not finish law school to die like this! The elf climbed over the rail and quickly cast an invisibility spell on himself. Seeing the troll dive off the starboard railing, Alexander made a dash towards the starboard stairs leading to the lower deck.

Mad Hardigan had other plans. Hardigan saw Alexander climbing over the rail and noticed the elf disappear; the gang leader knew that Alexander must have cast a spell. Mad Hardigan saw the chameleon-like ripples from the invisibility spell as the elf attempted to reach the stairwell. The ganger leader chose his moment and struck out at the fleeing elf as Alexander ran past the ganger leader. But the odds were stacked against the gang leader; Hardigan swung in vain at Alexander and lost his balance, falling down the stairwell after the elf ran down the stairs. Alexander didn’t even notice the ganger swing at him with his cyber spurs as he ran towards the port-side motor boat on the lower deck.

Meanwhile, Carlito fought for his life as one the gangers on the lower level dashed to the scientist and struck at him with hand razors. Carltio barely fended off the melee attack and shouted out to Tommy, “Help!” But no help was forthcoming from the hidden salaryman.

Slone regained his footing and took sight on one of the gangers still on the deck. As Slone took aim at the nearest ganger, his smartgoogles informed him that his Alpha had jammed during the fall. Cursing, Slone draw his Ruger Super Warhawk with smooth augmented reflexes and fired at the gangers. Loud bullets ripped into one, then another, ganger; Slone systematically cleared the deck for Alexander and Carlito to make it to the boat. "Move it, Nancy-Boy, or you're gonna be dancing in the hot-house with those gangers!" exclaimed Slone.

Alexander wasted no time leaping over the ferry’s rail and running to the wheel of the motorboat. Seeing his companions about to depart, Carlito threw back the attacks of the ganger and made a mad run to the starboard rail of the ferry. The ganger in the scientist’s wake slashed uselessly at Carlito’s back and then switched targets to an easier prey.

Once Carlito cleared the rail and made it into the motor boat, Alexander gunned the engine. The motorboat leaped ahead of the ferry as the larger boat became engulfed in the fires of the explosions.

“Where’s Tommy?” asked Alexander over his shoulder.

“He ran downstairs, I lost him,” responded Slone as he cleared his Alpha of the earlier jam.

“He was still on the boat when I jumped over the rail,” gasped Carlito before he puked up his dinner over the rail. Slumping down afterwards, Carlito thought to himself, Hot Drek in the Morning, that was intense! The last time Carlito had been in a fight was in sixth grade – after that beating at the hands of schoolyard bullies, Carlito’s mother had insisted on corporate security walking him home from school.

Alexander navigated the motorboat away from the flaming ferry and he spied the port-side motorboat making its escape. Alexander also saw the flashing lights of the harbor patrol in the distance behind them. “Guys, we’ve got company!” Alexender warned his companions as he turned the motorboat to pursue the fleeing gangers.

Slone quickly appraised the situation and swung his newly cleared Alpha at the head of the ganger driving the escaping boat. One bullet later, the ganger slumped over the wheel and the ganger’s boat started making slow turns.

Navigating past the boat, Alexander noticed the last surviving ganger abandoned ship and started swimming to shore. That’s gonna be a cold swim! thought the jubilant elf.

Just then, Alexander’s commlink buzzed and an ARO popped up showing Jimmy Get-My-Coffee’s face on a vid-link. “Hey,’Lex, we just got a news flash off the police band – there’s a ferry fire in Lake Washington. The cops say that shots were fired!”

“Yeah, okay, look I’m kidda busy right now”, replied Alexander, “Besides, Jimmy, I don’t work for the corp anymore.”

~~~~~~~~~~

Mad Hardigan stood up from the recumbent form of Tommy Toledo. Hardigan saw the approaching lights of the harbor patrol and stooped to pick up his prize. Swinging the unconscious salaryman onto his shoulder, Hardigan ran to the port-side railing and leapt into the frigid water.

Hardigan started swimming the backstroke with one arm around the chest of Tommy Toledo. Fortunately for Mad Hardigan, the harbor patrol was busy clearing the last few gangers from decks of the ferry and rescuing the remaining passengers from the inferno.

As the gang leader swam to shore he thought, “I hope this slitch survives, Wiessman won’t pay me the full rate for a stiff.”

The ice age is coming, the sun is zooming in
A nuclear error, but I have no fear
London is drowning-and I live by the river

Last edited:

Voyeur

First Post
Zen Pollo,
Great stuff! You've marvelously captured the Shadowrun atmosphere with each of these characters - though I'm particularly enjoying Slone's here-we-go-again, taking-it-in-all-stride-ness. There's something very nice about the experienced-brawn carrying the inexperienced brains.... I haven't played Shadownrun since 2nd Edition and there are obvious developments since then, but this is very recognizable and nicely written. Enjoy the game and keep it coming.

Zen_Pollo

First Post
Chapter 1: Legwork

Setting: Olga’s Tea Room, Tacoma. The first floor of this Russian-style tea room featured a sitting area with semi-circular booths lining the walls and set along a row in the middle of the room. The garish red upholstery clashed with the green wall paint and gilt edging on the architectural moldings. The room gave off the impression the interior designer watched the Nutcracker Suite on Synth-Acid and vomited up borscht and double-distilled vodka onto the dancing bears.

A rumpled Alexander, Slone and Carlito slid into a sticky booth in the middle of the room – the corner booths were all taken by couples – middle-aged salaryman with women far too pretty and too interested in them to be the men’s wives.

Alexander pulled up the menu-ARO and submitted a request for three cups of the (not-so) special-blend.

“Good thing I know this place,” remarked Alexander, “I used to come here when I was doing background investigations on stories.”

“Yeah, it’s real…nice,” replied the troll, dubiously, “You gonna’ be alright, Carlito?”

“Yeah, Yeah, just fine, just fine,” responded Carlito as he quickly stood up, took out a packet of atomo-wipes from his coat and scrubbed down the table. Then, Carlito sat back down and arranged and rearranged the place setting at his seat exactly three times before knocking on the tabletop twice and signaling for the waitress. “That was just a close one, that’s all, just a close one,” Carlito said as he drummed his fingernails on the table top in the same sequence repeatedly. Carlito’s mind still dwelled on the ganger he had shot just an hour before during the ferry attack.

“Sure, good thing we were able to ditch the boat nearby – I hate walking,” stated Slone.

A few minutes later, a waitress approached carrying their order. The brunette’s features had the perfection only surgery or genetic alteration could provide; getting tax ride-offs for cosmetic enhancements was a nice benefit of working in the entertainment industry. “Do you take soy-cream in your tea, gentlemen?” asked the waitress as she approached the trio.

Alexander replied before Carlito could speak, “Of course you can, Double-M!”

Maggie Malone exclaimed, “Alexander McQueen! I hardly recognized you. It’s been awhile.”

“It sure has Maggie. Is Olga around?”

“Oh, you’re looking for THAT; well, why don’t you just head on up like normal, sugar?” Maggie coyly replied.

“What’s ‘THAT’, exactly, and why do you have to go upstairs to get it?” queried the scientist. Slone simply looked around the couples in the dark corners and chuckled to himself.

“Well…” Maggie coughed delicately and leaned close to the scientist so he could take a good look down her blouse to her augmented cleavage.

“OHMYGOODNESS!” exclaimed the scientist. Slone and Alexander guffawed at the up-tight Carlito, but Carlito wasn’t paying attention. Carlito jumped up and broke out the entire pack of atomo-wipes from his jacket pocket and began to scrub furiously everywhere he had been in contact with the furniture.

While the egghead had an anxiety attack, Alexander explained to Maggie what the trio sought.

“Look, we’re interested in some paydata. We’re working on a lead and we’d like to know about the Shiawase-Tacoma Transmission Components Corporation down the road,” Alexander explained.

“You mean, the STTC?” replied Maggie, “Sure, I might know a regular customer that works there – let me go find out.”

“You’re the best, Mags,” cooed Alexander.

Meanwhile, Carlito finally calmed down enough to pay attention to his circumstances. “This is madness, what are we doing in a…a….?” Carlito was at a loss for words.

“A Russian tea room?” supplied Slone. Carlito shuddered.

“Listen, Carlito, Maggie knows people in Tacoma,” related Alexander, “All the riff-raff of a certain caliber make their way through this joint. If Maggie has paydirt on anyone that works in that complex; that’s our in…”

Carlito relaxed and placed his hands on his knees under the table. The back of Carlito’s hand brushed against a sticky, viscous substance lodged under the table. The scientist’s eyes bulged for moment and then he ran screaming to the bathroom.

Slone leaned under the table to examine what had made Carlito react in such a fashion. “What is it?” Alexander asked.

“Gum.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later, Maggie returned with the paydata Alexander sought.

“There’s a guy named Keith Summers who comes in from time to time. A regular corporate type. He works down at the facility, ‘cause I read his profile one time when he forgot to switch it off after work.”

“Do you have his access code or his physical address,” asked the elf.

“I might,” Maggie coyly replied.

Alexander slipped her 500 Nuyen via his commlink and Maggie transmitted an ARO with the payment records of Keith’s services as well as his profile’s information, including access code and physical address. “Thanks, sweetie,” said Maggie as she left to serve another customer.

Alexander articulated the plan, “Alright, here’s the score. We’re going to show up at this guy’s house first thing in the morning and blackmail him into getting us into the compound. Now, Carlito, you’re going to go to the medical building over here.” Alexander pointed to a shared ARO depicting the layout of the complex in 3-D. The schematic had been part of the file the Tommy had provided them prior to the ferry incident. “Once we get in the medical building, you go take care of the testing while Slone and I head to the admin building and bust-up the data-center. According to the file Tommy gave us, we have until tomorrow morning to get this job done.”

“Should be simple enough,” sighed Carlito – he had had a long night.

“It’s never that simple,” argued Slone.

The Troll needed to relax, “Now, if you’ll excuse me, it looks like we have some time to kill.” Slone stood and walked up the stairs which groaned under his massive 350kg weight load. Alexander smiled and moved to follow Slone. “You coming, Carlito?”

Carlito shook his head no. Alexander shrugged and followed the troll up to the bordello.

After the duo had left, Carlito grew bored; he took out the alloyed storage unit Tommy had given him and reviewed its readings on his commlink – all normal. Carlito thought about Slone’s earlier comment that things were never as simple as they appear.

Carlito called up Dr. Samratha’s email address and sent him a video message, “Dr S., I know it’s late and that some bad things happened yesterday, but I have a favor to ask. I’m going to send you some blood samples for you to test…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning, Slone and Alexander made their way to the address Maggie had provided. The building was a 10-story middleclass apartment complex that catered to the young hipster crowd whom worked for corps, but hadn’t hit the big-time money yet.

It’s the state-college crowd, thought Alexander as he watched yuppies leaving from the building for work.

Slone and Alexander waited at a street hawker’s food cart across the street. As the duo stood sipping their nova-cafe and waiting for their mark to show-up, Slone asked the elf, “I wonder if Carlito bailed on us? Last night must’ve been a shock for him.”

“We’ll see.” Carlito had said he was following up on a lead and that he’d meet them before the run. “Besides, if he doesn’t show up, where’s he gonna go?” Alexander mused.

As the troll and the elf watched the building entrance a couple left together. The man fit the picture of Keith Summers that Maggie had provided – but the woman was unknown. The woman had a pinched and wane demeanor. The blonde was tall and willowy like a super model and had the hungry/pissed-off look of one to boot.

High Maintenance, thought Slone.

Alexander quickly scanned the public persona of the women’s commlink. Most commlink users had a public persona which actively connected to the Augmented Reality world surrounding them – the persona program (along with the commlink, RFID tags and wireless networking) was at the heart of the technology which allowed people to experience the Matrix overlaid on top of the real world. Most public persona contained trivial information about their users which helped marketers tailor the individual’s experience of the real world into something better; Augmented Reality streaming straight into the senses.

Alexander reviewed the details of the women’s persona – Eileen Summers, a Virgo, Likes to Hike and Dance to trip-hip music, Status:Married.

It’s the philandering that gets them everytime, thought Alexander. “Let me do the talking,” the elf told Slone.

The couple kissed briefly and then went their separate ways.

Alexander and Slone followed the gentleman for a few blocks and then the elf made his move. The duo approached Keith from behind and Alexander tapped him on the shoulder, “Excused me sir, can I have a word?”

“No, frag off,” replied the salaryman without even looking at the elf.

Slone stepped in front of Summers and said, “No really, we just want a word.”

“Hey, look, I don’t want any trouble,” replied the salaryman backing up from the huge troll.

The elf assured the young man, “Neither do we, why don’t you step over here so we can chat?” Without waiting for a response, the elf led Keith off the sidewalk into an adjacent alley a few feet, but not so far as to scare the young man off.

“What’s all this about? I have to get to work.” stated the angry human.

“Well, Mr. Summers, this is about your bad habit,” Alexander coyly initiated.

“What are you talking about?”

“I am referring to your visitations to a certain establishment of ill-repute,” Alexander stated.

“I don’t know what you mean,” the human replied evasively.

“Of course you don’t, that’s why I brought evidence,” Alexander said as he sent an ARO to Keith containing the payment history from Olga’s. “You know, infidelity is grounds for no-fault divorce – it can be very costly – very costly indeed,” mused the elf.

“What the frag do you want?” sighed the human as he scanned the receipts.

“We want you to assist us in a matter – we want to gain admittance to your place of work,” stated the elf matter-of-factly.

“No way – forget it.” The human turned away back to the street.

Corp before Family, He must make his boss proud, thought Slone as he grabbed Keith by the shoulder and leaned a bit.

“Owww, stop it,” cried the over-powered human.

Screw this, thought Alexander. The elf performed a minor shamanic dance and the mojo filled him with astral power. Alexander crafted a Mind Probe spell and investigated the human’s deepest conscious thoughts. He’s hiding something, discovered the elf., but what? Probing further, Alexander discovered Keith’s true secret.

“Your wife’s turning into a ghoul,” the elf stated out loud. Slone dropped his hand from Keith’s shoulder like it was on fire. The human’s shoulders slumped.

“It would be a shame for your corporate masters to know that your wife is infected with HMHVV; I hear that Ghouls aren’t covered under most health plans,” smirked the elf.

Rubbing his face, the human replied, “Okay, what do you want?”

Zen_Pollo

First Post
Chapter 1: The Showdown at STTC

Setting: The front gate of the Shiawase-Tacoma Transmission Components Corp compound. The compound sat in an industrial area of Tacoma. Gray dust and soot covered the streets and sidewalks. Even the AROs popping up had a somber tone – Marketers already had figured out the demographic in this neighborhood didn’t have the sort of disposable income to merit more flashy advertising. The only folks traversing this part of town commuted to work or had no money to spend.

Carlito met with Slone and Alexander at the front gate the just before noon. The gate was the main entrance to a 5 meter tall electrified fence surrounding the compound. Alexander looked at the giant hazard signs posted along the fence’s exterior with animated public AROs depicting stylized current flowing in endless loops along the links. The AROs were complemented by old-fashioned signs reading, “Notification of Lethal Countermeasures Beyond this Point. ExtraNational Territory Act 2001 Applies. Trespassers are not protected by UCAS law.”

Awesome, thought Alexander whom knew very well what the notice implied – the corporation wrote the law inside that compound which meant it was free to do whatever it choose to trespassers.

“So ya get what you needed?” Slone asked Carlito.

“Yep, had to run an errand,” replied the scientist. Carlito clutched the case containing the blood samples under his coat and a smaller case containing some hypodermic syringes and single-use aerosol dispensers. Carlito had siphoned off a small portion of each blood sample and had them sent to Dr. Samratha for testing earlier this morning.

Waiting with the trio was the head of the security detail, an orc with a tag that read “Captain”. Slone eyed the orc’s Ares Predator IV holstered at the hip; the orc had scratched the word “Betty” into the grip. Looks like we’ve got ourselves a cowboy, here, thought Slone. The other two members of the security detail were dwarves whom must have been identical twins – they even had the same brand of wire-framed smartglasses.

Eventually, the metahuman-sized door next to the main vehicle gate opened and Keith Summers walked out to greet the trio.

“Howdy, Folks,” greeted the human salaryman, “Glad you could make it for the interviews today on such short notice.” Keith licked his lips as he glanced at the security guard. “Have they got their security tags?” Keith asked the Captain.

The orc crossed his arms. “So you say that you didn’t have any notice for these interviews?” the Captain asked the human. The guards had already searched the group for weapons and contraband. Fortunately, Carlito’s cases and Slone’s monofilament whip had evaded detection.

Alexander didn’t need weapons.

“Ummm…it was my fault; I forgot to submit the badge request for the interview. Can you cut me some slack this one time?” pleaded the human.

The orc acquiesced, “Okay, boss, but you owe me.” The Captain waved to his minions and the dwarves moved forward and gave the trio RFID enable security badges.

Wonderful, now they can track us, thought Alexander. The elf had extreme misgivings regarding the legality of this operation and the likelihood of failure. In fact, the only factor keeping the elf going was he knew that someone in his corp had set this cluster-frag up and he had placed his trust in the corp his entire life. They wouldn’t completely slag me over, would they? mused Alexander as he followed the human. Sadly, Alexander knew the answer to that question but chose to go forward with the plan anyways.

Keith led the trio through the man-sized gate and into the compound proper. The STTC was actually several facilities rolled into one. The compound was arranged into quadrants. The first quadrant was an industrial stock yard where giant crane-drones labored to move huge transformers, ocean containers and other bulky machinery into systematic piles. The second quadrant housed a warehouse with railway access openings in the middle. Attached to the front of the warehouse was a two-story administration building. The trio could see the warehouse loading dock on the front of the structure adjacent to the admin building. The third quadrant contained the medical storage and laboratory building. The lab building was separated from the warehouse complex by a paved cement roadway 15 meters across. Finally, the fourth quadrant had the security station, the power plant and the employee parking lot.

Keith led the trio into the admin building first – the building was made out of brick on the first floor with Plexiglas lining the walls of the second. Keith walked the trio to a ground level entryway and swiped his security badge through the card reader attached to the secured entrance. When the team had entered the building, Keith gave his standard tour spiel. “This floor contains the general administration area, HR and accounting,” articulated the human. Keith pointed to the stairway on his left, “Upstairs houses the data center, the command post for the industrial drones and warehousing ops.” The human led the trio along a central path between the beige cubicles of the first floor and out through a door on the far side of the building which led directly into the warehouse. Slone noticed more crane-drones and saw that on the opposite side of the warehouse there was an opening for the railcars to leave the facility.I’ll have to remember that, thought the troll.

Turning to the left from the doorway, Keith continued to a southward facing exit from the warehouse that opened up to a paved roadway. Across the road was the gleaming medical center. While the admin building was made of brick and Plexiglas and the warehouse was made of heavy metal siding, the medical center was constructed of industrial grade mirrored Plexiglas. Keith led the group to the sealed entrance of the medical building and paused to swipe his badge so they could gain access.

As the group entered the building one-by-one, Carlito hung back and took out one of the single-use aerosol sprays from his equipment casing. While the others had been busy sating their baser needs last night, Carlito had used the downtime to secrete various nanomachines from the nanohive lodged in his abdomen. The nanohive felt like a cold turd in Carlito’s gut. Carlito told people who bothered to ask that having the nanohive implanted in his abdomen was like feeling constipated all the time. In any case, the nanohive had been busy last night – Carlito had downloaded the nano-schematics Sadie had sent him and had programmed his hive to create nanomachines he could put to good use. Just before meeting up with the rest of the team, Carlito had attached the syringes and aerosol canisters to small nipples grafted to his belly. Without his shirt, Carlito looked like a six-teated-bitchdog.

Passing the threshold of the doorway, Carlito discretely sprayed the contents of his aerosol on the door itself. The colorless aerosol adhered to the surface of the door; even an observant individual searching the door would only notice a faint-sheen of moisture on the paint. However, Carlito’s commlink popped up an ARO with the nano-spies’ video feed. Carlito had the odd experience of watching his own back departing from the entrance displayed on the vid-link in front of him. Fortunately, the ARO was private-use so no one saw the nano-spies’ video. But I’ll be able to see if anyone follows us into the building, thought the human.

While Carlito deployed his nano-spray, Alexander grew more nervous. This was as far as the team had planned. In fact, Alexander was completely at a loss for what the next step might be. The cool-headed elf hated taking a risk without a plan to mitigate the outcome.

Keith was also showing signs of strain. Without clear guidance from the group, the human led them aimlessly around the lab. First, Keith passed by the secured entrance to the bio-hazard area and then led the trio through the administrative section of the building. Keith saw Dr. Smith, the head of the lab facility, and thought to himself, This is it, I’m so getting fired!

Dr. Smith was a no-nonsense human dressed in a white lab frock; he walked directly to Keith and asked the callow man, “What’s going on here? Who are these people?”

“Ummm…these are new hires, I was giving them the tour of the facility,” replied Keith.

“I didn’t authorize any new hires. I’m going to call Bob Vance,” stated the irate Doctor.

As Smith raised his hands to manipulate the virtual controls of his commlink, Alexander had had enough. The shaman reached into the astral plane and pulled down the mojo. A Control Actions spell later and the team were in business. The elf directed the captive Dr. Smith to lead the group into the storage area for the samples. The Doctor walked stiffly like a marionette towards the containment zone.

This is going to be bad, thought Carlito, as the team reached the airlock leading to the secure bio-hazards area. Alexander made the Doctor don one of the level 4 containment suits hanging from the racks, and Carlito and the elf followed suite. Slone stood by with Keith and watched the human squirm uncomfortably while the others cycled through the airlocks.

Once in the secure zone, Carlito attached his suit to the airflow umbilical cord and the others copied his movements. The spare room painted a sterile turquoise color had few employees – the majority of the work was performed by drones remotely controlled by scientists outside the secured zone. Carlito looked wide-eyed at automated testing and material handling equipment. The real sample must be a severe bio-hazard – they don’t even let people handle the test bed equipment, thought the scientist.

The Doctor led them to a glass-sealed cabinet and interfaced his commlink with the controls. Alexander instructed the Doctor to pull the sample ID the group needed and Smith stiffly complied. The elf noticed the tightened glare of the Doctor’s eyes through the Plexiglas visor of Smith’s helmet. Alexander sent a private ARO to Carlito – Dammit, I’m controlling his actions, but he is going to remember this – what are we going to do?

As the team strategized, the auto-storage unit had retrieved the sample and lowered a tray containing several sealed test-tubes with blood samples into a small exchange chamber. The Doctor cycled out the exchange chamber and withdrew the samples to the outside of the storage enclosure. Carlito took the samples from the doctor and discretely placed them into his alloyed storage unit. Carlito then withdrew the replacement blood samples from the case and gave them to the Doctor to load into the storage cabinet. Once the fake samples were loaded into the secure cabinet, Carlito subscribed to the unit via his commlink and initiated the testing protocols required based on the test profile Tommy had provided. We’re going to have to destroy the security data – the machine probably logged my access and testing instructions, thought the scientist.

Well, now what? Alexander AROed Carlito.

In a flash of insight, Carlito took out one of his syringes and jabbed Dr Smith in the back -- puncturing through the plasticized exterior of the containment suit. Carlito depressed the plunger and injected a stream of nanomachines directly into the doctor’s blood stream. “Let’s go, now!” Carlito exclaimed quietly to Alexander.

Alexander directed Dr Smith to start walking towards the rear of the zone and the duo hastily retreated to the airlock. As the airlock door closed behind them, Carlito initiated a command via his commlink to the nanites injected into Dr Smith’s blood stream. The cutters were nanomachines designed for one purpose – to destroy all the cellular material they detected. The nanites worked wonders when you absolutely had to destroy dangerous biological materials. In this case, Carlito saw the Doctor fall to the ground as the violent seizures overtook him. The scientist knew that the hard nanite cutters absolutely would not stop shearing away at the internal organs of the host until they ran out of power. When the Doctor was vivisected for autopsy, there would be nothing but a puddle of viscous goop where his organs once stood.Sweet Mother protect me, I have committed murder once again, thought Carlito as he watched Dr. Smith convulse on the floor through the airlock window.

As the duo left the outside airlock, all hell broke loose. One of the techs had hit the bio-hazard alarm. The entire building immediately entered lockdown mode. While Carlito and Alexander shed their containment suits, Slone looked at the security monitors outside the airlock showing hapless technicians beating futilely at the inner airlock doors.Poor Bastards, thought the troll as the screens showed the technicians being hosed down with industrial solvents.

Carlito’s nanospies’ showed other workers inside the medical building running to the door – but the entrance was already sealed. The salarymen beat helplessly against the door to no avail. “We are going to have to find another way out – they locked down the entire building,” explained the scientist.

“Drek it All!,” Keith exclaimed, “What are we going to do?”

“I’ve got an idea,” replied the scientist. Carlito led the group to a corner conference room he had noticed during their earlier tour. The conference room seemed to be vulnerable to breakouts due to the large floor to ceiling windows lining the exterior facing walls; however, Carlito knew that material science had come a long way – while the glass might seem easy to break, the windows were as hard as the concrete and steel comprising the rest of the building.

Nevertheless, Carlito had a plan; he took another aerosol spray from his case and quickly sprayed the surface of the Plexiglas. While the Destructor nanites ate through the material at the molecular level, it appeared to the team that the window simply dissolved in the air in front of them. Shortly, a one-meter hole had appeared in the window leading to the team’s freedom.

The team wasted no time leaping through the aperture and racing towards the front of the admin building. As the team ran, Alexander yelled, “We’ve got to get to the datacenter and smash those records!”

Unfortunately for the team, the SecSpecs had other ideas. The Captain and his two sidekicks were running towards the team from the main gate across the complex. Yet the team was lucky that the guards’ submachineguns were not accurate over the long distance. Therefore, the team and the guards ran towards each other with opposite goals in mind. Keith had had enough and chose this moment to split off from the team. The callow human was already thinking about what he was going to tell his superiors regarding the heist.

About thirty meters out from the team, the guards stopped and ordered the team to stop, but no one listened. Slone raced further ahead than his allies due to his gangly troll legs. As the SecSpecs opened fire at the troll, a few bullets found their mark, but the troll’s armor jacket, dermal plating, titanium bone lacing and platelet factory absorbed most of the impact. Still, Slone felt a slight bruise welling on his breastbone and it angered him.

“Who brings a popgun to a Fraggin’ firefight?” groused the angry troll as he drew his monofilament whip from its hidden holster. Slone kicked on his synaptic accelerator and the scene took on the slow motion quality that turned the ordinarily tough troll into a hyperkinetic cyborg killer. Lashing out at the Captain, the troll found his mark with the monofilament whip and the orc’s gun hand was instantly severed at the wrist – blood gushed into the faces of the orc’s allies.

Meanwhile Alexander pulled down the mojo magic and launched a Stun Bolt at the dwarf on the right. The dwarf had some willpower, so the blast only staggered him. I need to invest in some better offensive spells, thought the elf. Of course, Alexander’s spell selection featured low Mana Drain – pulling down the mojo had its price after all. Besides, constantly experiencing massive migraines would hamper the elf’s style.

Carlito chose his final aerosol canister and sprayed the face of the dwarf on the left – it contained a dose of hard nanites specifically designed to foul up commlinks and smart displays. The nano-scale machines were programmed to seek out commlinks and inject false signals into the commlink’s wireless data stream. The end result was that the dwarf’s smartglass display suddenly exploded with Bad AROs momentarily blinding and disorienting him.

Not feeling particularly magnanimous, Slone cut down the orc whom crouched helplessly at the troll’s feet cradling the stump of his severed limb. Slone hacked at the Captain’s skull and cleft the orc’s head in twain.

Moving faster than mere human limits, Slone swung a savage backhand strike towards the dwarf on the left whom was still dazed by Carlito’s interference. Slone’s wicked barb split the dwarf from crown to codpiece. The poor sod’s organs spilled out onto pavement. Too bad we won’t be able to sell those to an organlegger, thought the troll.

Alexander dodged the poorly aimed shots from the remaining dwarf – it’s hard to shoot when you are suffering from the effects of a massive concussion. The elf struck the dwarf with another Stun Bolt and laid the SecSpec low.

Seizing the opportunity, Carlito jumped on the bodies and looted their commlinks, smartglasses and weapons. “These will help us get into the datacenter, let’s go!” yelled the human as his passed out the goodies to his teammates.

From the warehouse exit the trio had used a few minutes earlier, a human guard came running towards them. The team ran for the corner of the admin just 10 meters ahead of them. As the party turned the corner, Slone crouched behind the wall and waited for the guard to run closer into the weapon’s effective range.

Carlito moved to the front entrance to the admin building, but the door was sealed due to the alarm. The scientist used the access code from the Captain’s commlink to wirelessly subscribe to the door’s datanode and used the security override to force the door open.

Alexander waited impatiently behind Carlito while he scientist attempted to hack to door. Looking over his shoulder, the elf saw a sight that filled him with dread – 4 GM-Nissan Doberman security drones were scuttling towards them from the security center. Each drone carried a Kalashnikov assault rifle mounted on a 360 degree turret on its back. The elf did not have any spells which could affect the metallic drones. Alexander yelled at Slone, “We’ve got company!”

The troll cursed under his breath and fell back to his companions. As the troll retreated to the doorway, he caught a glimpse of the security drones. Dammit, those drones have too much armor for these submachineguns, I need a real weapon, thought the troll.

Just then, Carlito finished hacking into the door and the team burst through the entryway. As the troll covered the doorway for the team, Slone saw a second human security guard approaching from the stockyard. Once the team was through, the troll closed and locked the doorway and then shot the electronic panel hoping to buy the team some time. “We’ve got major problems,” yelled the troll.

No Kidding, thought the elf as he wryly observed the scared salarymen jump up from their cubicles as the troll opened fire at the door. The elf told Carlito, “We’ll hold them off here, you go crash the datacenter!”

Carlito wasted no time dashing up the stairs to the second floor. The scientist saw the secured door leading to the datacenter. Racing over to the access console, the scientist deftly removed the outer casing from the device and began hotwiring the maglock.

While Carlito finished cracking the doorway and raced into the datacenter, the team downstairs watched as the security guards and drones started breaking down the exterior security door. The troll and the elf hid behind the thin beige wall of the first line of cubicles near the doorway. Crouching behind the partitions on opposite sides of the central walkway, Slone looked at Alexander and they shared a silent moment of desperation. When the first drone burst through the door, its auto-pilot program paused for a moment to assess the situation.

Slone looked at Alexander and said, “Frag it if they can’t take a joke!”

The troll leaped out at the drone and quickly closed the distance before it could react. Slone let loose a massive overhand swing at the drone scuttling in front of him. Sparks flew as the monofilament whip cut through the hardened outer shell of the drone and exposed its electronic guts.

Alexander noticed one of the guards poked his head around the broken-down door hoping to take aim at the troll. The elf Stun-Bolted the guard and was rewarded as the human crumbled to the ground with blood oozing out of his ears and nose.

Meanwhile, Carlito was rewiring the datacenter like his life depended on it.

It did.

When Carlito had first entered the temperature-controlled datacenter, he had had no idea how to even find to correct server to disable amongst rows of identical black server closets. However, Carlito had noticed an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) humming along nearby and a crazy idea sprung to life. If Carlito could bypass the UPS and route the building’s power directly to the server room’s electrical infrastructure, he might be able to fry all the servers at once. Yet Carlito knew that he would need a monster power surge for that to happen – but what if he disabled the safety features of the UPS and used the stored up charge as a giant capacitor to initiate a massive discharge? And that is when his encephalon kicked into gear. The cyberware implant was made for such logic problems. It appeared to Carlito that the servers disappeared and only electrical conduits lined the false floor and walls of the datacenter. The encephalon helped his mind complete the circuit diagrams almost instantaneously. The wires and circuit modifications fell into place in his mind as fast as Carlito’s hands could move.

Unfortunately for the scientist, he knew exactly how long it would take to re-wire the room – five minutes minimum for an expert electrician.

Downstairs, the fight was not going well for the team. The first drone, badly damaged by Slone’s first slash, opened fire point-blank at the troll with its Kalashnikov. Unlike the small caliber rounds of the submachinegun, the assault rifle badly injured the troll. Slone’s Kevlar and ceramic lined-jacket prevented the rounds from piecing his flesh, but jacket and all his cyberware could not mute the raw kinetic force of the rounds. Each burst from the drone created subdermal bruising and staggered the troll to his knees.

Gritting his teeth, the wounded troll lunged at the drone, aiming for the slash in the drone’s armor created by the first swipe. The hit connected and Slone roared with triumph as the whip made havoc with the fragile electronic systems secured behind the hard shell of the drone’s exterior. The drone fell crashing to the floor.

Unfortunately for the troll, three more drones awaited him and the second drone wasted no time scuttling through the doorway to engage Slone. The troll hacked at the second drone and brought it down in one massive swipe.

Alexander could do nothing to aid the troll – his spells did not affect inanimate objects. Moreover, the last guard chose to let the drones dispatch the angry troll and so he remained hidden outside. Fragging coward, thought the elf as he cast Improved Invisibility on himself and hid in the cubicles.

Carlito had already shut down the power to the datacenter and he was busy re-routing the main powerline to bypass the UPS. Not enough time! Carlito panicked to himself.

Downstairs, the remaining two drones laid down the rain on Slone. The troll buckled under the combined assault of the two remaining drones. The two drones fired burst after burst at the troll and Slone was forced to fall back to the cover of the cubicles; where he noticed the elf was gone. “Frag it all to Hell, you dandelion-eatin’ slitch!” yelled the gravely injured troll. Screw this, I’m not being paid enough to die, thought the troll as he fled full speed towards the door to the warehouse Keith had led them through earlier that day.

The final guard finally worked up to courage to peek around the corner and saw the troll running flat-out towards the rear door of the office. Knowing better than to open fire in the occupied office space, the guard gave chase to the troll on foot – but his human-sized legs were no match for the troll’s long stride.

Slone ran as fast as he had ever run to the rear door. The troll was half-delirious with pain – his long body was covered in impact bruises and Slone knew that tomorrow he would feel worse. If I make through today, reasoned the troll.

The drones followed the troll but held their fire since their programming precluded the drones from endangering friendly civilians.

Alexander watched silently from the safety of his invisibility spell as the drones and the guard ran past him. Once the SecSpec ran past, the elf stood up and walked out the front of the building. Forget it, I’m not being paid to die like some criminal, thought the elf as he walked away from his companion’s plight.

Carlito blithely carried on with his hack, not knowing his teammates had abandoned him. The scientist had successful re-routed the power to circumvent the UPS and was now manually disabling the safety circuits in the UPS which prevented a massive discharge of current. Carlito’s encephalon laid out circuit after circuit in a seemingly endless parade of diagrams. How much time do I have left? the scientist thought briefly.

Slone burst through the rear door and rushed into the warehouse. The troll’s plan was to hide amongst the tall warehouse racks and pallets and make his way towards the rear of the building to the railcar exit opening.

Alexander nonchalantly walked towards the front gate safe in his invisible cocoon.

The drone and the guard cautiously followed Slone into the warehouse. Fortunately for the troll, the racking and the pallets provided all the cover he needed to lose his pursuit. Slone booked it to the railway entrance cutting a diagonally path through the warehouse – first running up one aisle of racking and then cutting across to the next through breaks in the racking of each row.

Carlito was so close to being done – the geek had successful circumvented the safety measures on the power supply and only had a few circuits left to turn the UPS into a giant discharge capacitor. Where are the rest of the guys? wondered the scientist as his hands worked feverishly.

The guard made it to the central area of the warehouse but could not see where the troll had went, the drones’ sensors also lost the troll. Wait a minute, thought the guard, the Captain had given them RFID tags – I can use the warehouse RFID tag readers to locate him!

Slone ran out the railway access door at the rear of the warehouse and encountered a problem – the railway access had a gate – an electrified gate. Oh frag it! thought the battered troll as he glanced behind him for the pursuit drones.

Meanwhile, Alexander made it to the front gate the trio had entered at the beginning. Seeing the side entrance was locked, Alexander used one of the stolen commlinks to access the door’s data node. With the guard’s access code and permissions, it was simple to open the gate. All too easy, thought the elf as he made his escape.

Carlito madly completed the final circuit. Racing to the fuse box, Carlito whispered a short prayer,Please Merciful Father, Let this work!

The scientist pulled the switch.

Sparks flew from the servers like fireworks! Carlito looked in wonder as, one after another, the servers exploded and sparks flew from their fried circuits. In fact, the explosions seemed to follow the same timing as the cannon fire from Tchaikovsky’s famous 1812 Overture. Carlito looked down at his watch – the impossible hack only took him 30 seconds from start to finish.

The guard cackled triumphantly as he brought up the RFID locator program on an ARO from his commlink. Just as the program finished its sweep of all the RFID security badges in the complex, the link to the datacenter went dead. Suddenly, a loud explosion rocked the complex as the transformers in the power substation all short-circuited. The halogen lights in the warehouse exploded throwing sparks everywhere.

Slone flinched back as charges flared from the electrified fence and then died out. Taking it as his cue, Slone took his trusty monofilament whip and cut a hole in the chain links so he could escape. The troll ran deep into the alleyway across the street and hid amongst the area’s tenements. After he had found a safe spot, Slone sent Alexander a nasty-gram via his commlink, You and I are going to have some serious words about this, Nancy-Boy!1!1!!

Alexander, however, was long gone. The elf barely looked back as the transformers exploded behind him. Just act cool, McQueen. Act cool, the elf keep telling himself as he walked away.

Carlito’s pure joy at his amazing hack was short lived at the lights went out and the emergency lighting kicked in. Time to go! thought the jubilant scientist. Carlito ran back outside the datacenter and joined the throng of people running down the stairs to get outside. The corporate wage-slaves normally ignored fire-drills, but when automatic weapons were fired and the power went out, it lent much more motivation in compliance from the average worker-bee. Once in the parking lot with the rest of the workers, the scientist simply walked to the front gate. As Carlito stepped through the gate to freedom, he glanced back at the growing throng of people in the parking lot and saw the last confused security guard standing around looking for the intruders.

Shortly after Carlito left the compound, the parking lot guard was joined by the guard whom had followed Slone into the warehouse. Running up to his partner, the warehouse guard asked the parking lot guard, “Where’d he go?”

“Where’d who go?”

Last edited:

Zen_Pollo

First Post
Seattle Calling Chapter 1: Epilogue

Setting: A tri-vid cast of the popular Horizon Hardcopy news program. The anchorwoman stands floating in 3D space as the news events, videos, and customized news graphics swirl around her. The woman’s red and white nanotech hair implants changes color by the story. During the opening credits an Orcan voice says in a deep voice:

What’s on the Horizon? News! Sports! Infotainment! It must be time for HORIZON HARDCOPY…oohh Yeah!

Good evening Washingtonians, this is Horizon Hardcopy and I’m the Lollipop.

Tonight’s Top Story:

A massive power outage in Tacoma caused over 50,000 residents in the community to go without power for 5 hours this afternoon as Shiawase Tacoma Transmission Corporation workers struggled to restore services after a power substation exploded in what they claim was an industrial accident.

Shiawase Spokeswoman, Twila Sinclair, stated that no one was injured in the mishap.

However, in an Horizon Hardcopy exclusive, we have received footage taken from inside the compound recorded by a worker whom uploaded the following footage to our Hardcopy Hidden Camera DataHaven:

A grainy video, taken from what appears to be an image-link from a pair of smartglasses, shows an individual peering over the top of an office cubicle while several bright flashes originate near a doorway. A huge troll staggers backward and then turns and runs swiftly towards the cubicle. The view shifts as the worker turns and hides under her desk. Then a clash jars the perspective and the glasses fall to the ground outside the cubicle. Landing upside down the image-link shows the back of the troll as he runs swiftly down the walkway towards the rear door. Shortly, a pair of drones follows the retreating troll. Then, the image-link cuts out.

Horizon Publishes the Hardcopy, You Decide the Truth!

In other news,

Investigators are examining the wreckage of last night’s Lake Washington ferry fire. The Coast Guard believes the fire was caused when a local gang attempted to hijack the boat and take the passengers hostage.

However, some authorities suspect involvement by the International Longshoreman’s Union. Officials believe the strike was motivated by malcontented fringe-elements of the union whom were seeking to intimidate the ferry workers who crossed the picket line to keep the ferry running.

The dockworker’s strike is in its 7 day as food is becoming increasingly scarce in the Metroplex. Governor Peter Posniak had the following comments:

A video clip shows a rotund, yet well-appointed, middle-aged human speaking in a gruff voice

“We will not stand by and allow fringe-elements to intimidate the Metroplex. I have authorized a full alert of the Metroplex Guard in the event the dockworker strike continues to escalate.”

Political news

Proposition 1812 is on the ballot next month. The proposition would create a new free trade zone in Seattle and allow goods to flow into the Metroplex under the aegis of megacorporations’ extraterritoriality protection.

Johnny Johns, Chairman of the United Corporate Council had this to say:

A video clip shows a politician with great looking white hair and a power-suit speaking to a reporter

“The free trade zone will supercharge the economy in Seattle. By allowing overseas markets entry into the Metroplex without suffering UCAS import tariffs, we will be able to keep prices lower on important commodities such as food and other essential products for the citizens of this great city”

Opponents, such as the dockworkers and their terrorist allies, feel that Proposition 1812 will impugn on their starting wages of 80 thousand nuyen per year and reduce their right to organize in secretive closed ballot proceedings.

Last edited:

Remove ads