Shealis as Solo - comments? (spoilers)

Skyscraper

Explorer
My idea is that Shealis appears presently very hard to hit but otherwise not very strong.

I wanted for her to pack some extra punch, still be hard to hit but yet hittable, and keep to the original design flavor . I also wanted to add some options for her in case she's swarmed by melee opponents, so I've added the wizard spell expeditious retreat and also thunderwave as an at-will which might help her in that respect. The flame aura (that pulses to a burst every once in a while) also helps her against melee opponents.

Any thoughts?

Sky

Shealisv1.jpg

Last edited:

How do you see this fight going down? Do the PCs all gang up on her in the dueling ring? I don't have the 4e version of the adventure available, but if I were to run a fight with several PCs (and Diogenes) vs. one mage, I'd make her fragile, but with a lot of control effects.

You want to use the new 4e solo guidelines. 280 hit points is crazy, especially when the party will be, what, 2nd or 3rd level? You could get away with making her a level 3 solo if you give her enough tricks, and make the battlefield interesting.

Like, it's a dueling ring. When I wrote up a narrative version of this scene, the ring was split into four quadrants - air, fire, earth, and water. If you're standing in one of those quadrants, you can draw some magical power from it.

Maybe try something like:

10 square diameter ring/diamond. Four quadrants colored white, red, brown, and blue. Each quadrant provides a benefit to certain attacks, or a penalty to certain saves.

White quadrant (air). +2 to lightning and thunder attacks that originate in the quadrant. Creatures in the quadrant take a -2 penalty to saves against effects that include the dazed and stunned conditions.

Red quadrant (fire). +2 to fire attacks that originate in the quadrant. Creatures in the quadrant take a -2 to saves to end ongoing damage.

Brown quadrant (earth). +2 to attacks from summoned creatures whose controller are in the quadrant. Creatures in the quadrant take a -2 penalty to saves to end effects that include the immobilized, restrained, or slowed conditions.

Blue quadrant (water). ??? Not sure yet.

Then give Shealis a variety of attacks. Thunderwave at will as a minor action 1/round, some sort of fiery area burst as a standard, maybe a 'recharges when bloodied,' sustain minor summon. And something for water. Maybe illusions that immobilize or something.

Skyscraper

Explorer
Thanks for the comments.

I designed her according to the 4E solo rules, I used the DDI monster generator though I boosted her defenses a bit. A level 6 solo for a party of 5 or 6 level two PCs is very strong, but theoretically winnable. That's the impression I got from the 4E module: if the PCs opt to fight her, it's likely they'll all die, unless the fight goes well for them. However, the 4E design in the module was that she will likely win because the PCs can't hit her mostly because of very high defenses, not as much because of her powers. She's a level 10 Elite according to the 4E module and has about 200 hit points.

Sky

Talysian

Explorer
You may want to scale her down to a level 4 solo, using the new damage expressions wotc just put out. (not in the monster builder yet)

Skyscraper

Explorer
The two posters that replied appear to suggest that Shealis be put at a level that would make her beatable by a level 2 party. The 4E module suggests that it would be a bad idea to take on Shealis (who just had a party to underline her paragon status, according to the module, IIRC).

Of course all answers are acceptable, but did most DMs aim to provide a combat-adequate Shealis?

Bercilak

Explorer
I played her as written, but the group didn't fight her anyway. They convinced her it was a good idea to work with them and not against them.

Daern

Explorer
I liked her at paragon level. The players figured out that she was far out of their league and that was good for negotiations (they didn't fight her either).

Talysian

Explorer
I liked her at paragon level. The players figured out that she was far out of their league and that was good for negotiations (they didn't fight her either).

My guys are diplomancers so I wasn't worried about it.

I more suggested it because After seeing the new damage expressions in a fight, I'm not sure they could take a level +2 Solo with them. Especially one with as much control as her.

Here is the thing, if you are creating dead ends in how your players deal with stuff... You may not have to prep for long. I don't mind character death, but a tpk caused by stubborness on either sides to me is just silly. Not sure how 4e fluent your folks are, but my thoughts are this, if you stat it they will try and kill it... if you don't they usually don't, at least that's been my experience.

Daern

Explorer
Talysian: At low levels you are certainly right. My thinking was that Shealis would be merciful given the diplomatic situation. The whole waking up in a cell scenario that the module suggests a few times. Interestingly, as the campaign has closed in on Paragon level I have begun to throw higher and higher level opponents at them and that has worked well for us. Level +4-6...
also, "Diplomancers" I like that. My players often try to "Diplomatize" npcs.

Remove ads