Shelving

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1) For my game books, I use bookshelves that are from furniture stores OR are built into walls- the wood is a bit thicker & sturdier and does not bow...that much.

And to clarify, when I say "not...that much" I mean you have to look at the shelves from the side to notice the curvature.

Turjan

Explorer
I have some 20 year old shelves full of my main RPG books, and they look fine. As this won't help you, here is an image of one of my IKEA shelves, which are sturdy and easily available:

Shelf_2.jpg

Really I'd say you need to look for bookcases that do not have wide shelves but narrow ones. Sort of simple physics, less weight over a shorter span puts less pressure on the wood to bend. The tricky part is that so many bookshelves I've found simply don't have the HEIGHT between shelves to accomodate gaming materials - they're designed for 9.5" tall hardcover novels not 11" tall gaming rpg books, magazines and materials.

I have a set of shelves from Ikea I keep my Dragon magazine collection and a set of old encyclopedias on. They're 3.5 feet wide and have done remarkably well but still DO bow visibly when you LOOK for that. I'd say you really need shelves with no more than 3' between vertical supports to prevent heavy amounts of gaming books from bowing them. And, of course, having HARDWOOD shelves would help which you're just not going to find without spending a lot of money for antiques or custom cabinetry.

Having some custom made is probably the way to go anyway though given the height requirements. And in the long run it'll be cheaper than throwing out another set of pressboard or soft wood shelves every few years.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Good point on shelf height!

The Metro/InterMetro shelves can be assembled with spacing every inch, as I recall, and the bookcases I got from Haverty's have adjustable shelves. This means both can be set up for holding all kinds of stuff.

AeroDm

First Post
Good point on shelf height!

The Metro/InterMetro shelves can be assembled with spacing every inch, as I recall, and the bookcases I got from Haverty's have adjustable shelves. This means both can be set up for holding all kinds of stuff.
Not height but width. Like Turjan pointed out, even cheap Ikea shelves can do the trick. I have an Ikea bookshelf that is 5' by 5' with 4 x 4 shelves at 13" each. The entire unit was about $160 and has withstood a decade of use and shifting without any scrapes. This thing would hold about 300 books and hasn't sagged a bit. As long as you take care of it, it looks great and will take care of you.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Not height but width. Like Turjan pointed out, even cheap Ikea shelves can do the trick. I have an Ikea bookshelf that is 5' by 5' with 4 x 4 shelves at 13" each. The entire unit was about $160 and has withstood a decade of use and shifting without any scrapes. This thing would hold about 300 books and hasn't sagged a bit. As long as you take care of it, it looks great and will take care of you.
I wasn't referring to the shelf-sagging thing- I've covered that before- but he was entirely correct about the shorter shelves & physics.

What I was referring to was this:

The tricky part is that so many bookshelves I've found simply don't have the HEIGHT between shelves to accomodate gaming materials - they're designed for 9.5" tall hardcover novels not 11" tall gaming rpg books, magazines and materials.

IronWolf

blank
I have some 20 year old shelves full of my main RPG books, and they look fine. As this won't help you, here is an image of one of my IKEA shelves, which are sturdy and easily available:

This looks very similar to the IKEA shelf I use for most of my books. The model I have is the Expedit series. Very reasonably priced and the non-wide shelves help with shelf's strength under load.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I make my own. I'm finishing up about 150 feet of shelves right now. :heh: For the nicer ones that will have a heavy load, I used 3/4" plywood with a 1" strip of poplar running down the back edgewise for support. Then some are 3/4" MDF with 1/2" wooden dowels into studs as extra back support.

For cheap "assemble yourself" wood book cases, I've had a lot of luck with Sauder units. These are always premade precisely, so that they assemble easily. And if you stick with the 30" or less widths, the adjustable shelves are perfectly capable of holding a row of game books with no noticable bending over a decade. (Any bend is so slight that the flip the shelf over trick will easily counter any bend you do get.)

For metal, back in my poorer days I've been known to convert metal grated shelves (that I already had) to books by buying 1/4" plywood which was cut and sanded to fit. It's ugly, but for a basement it works.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Having short length shelves are the key for you. Even your hardwoods will warp/bow over time if they don't have center support.

O and the shelves at Lowes/Home Depot that are steel framed and particle board will hold just fine as well.
I use them in my garage and can vouch for their durability. I even have vise mounted on one of them. I use one set as a dual workbench setup. 100's of lbs of tools sitting on them the last four years and they are still going strong.

Remove ads