Shelving

Turjan

Explorer
This looks very similar to the IKEA shelf I use for most of my books. The model I have is the Expedit series. Very reasonably priced and the non-wide shelves help with shelf's strength under load.
That is indeed an Expedit shelf. I think I spent a few dollars over $80 when I bought it. The nice thing is that the dividers act like shelf supports, with the shelf board going through from the left to the right of the whole shelf.

D'karr

Adventurer
I don't know if you have a Borders close to you but they are going out of business and all their furniture (bookshelves) is at closeout sale prices. Their shelves seem to be made out of real wood, not particle board.

Good Luck.

frankthedm

First Post
I've had good results with typical adjustable shelves. I use drywall screws to get a good bite in the wall studs and put a rail on EACH wall stud. Don't skimp, each wall stud gets a rail.

3/4th is the thickness I use for the boards, plywood or real wood if i can afford it. Fence planks work well enough in a pinch. Particle board isn't worth the formaldehyde it's bonded with. :hmm:

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
According to wood working books I reviewed, a book shelf should never exceed 27 inches long. And generally have a center support. Now I have 9 book shelves in my home and none are bowing. The display case which is 34 inches wide which I have used as book shelf is bowing.

Painfully

First Post
The Borders bookshelves in the kids section have slats in them, which are perfect for use as display shelves or for holding store products still in the package.

Be sure to check another store if you don't find what you want.

SnowleopardVK

First Post
I tend to use the bottom shelf for my heaviest books. It bends less because it's pretty much right on the ground, and for some reason the bottom shelf on all my bookcases always seems to be taller, as if to accommodate game books. They all came that way though.

Remove ads