• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shield cantrip

Satyrn

First Post
I'd also careful about that. Compare to the 1st-level shield of faith spell (bonus action, +2 AC, concentration).

It also potentially boosts the AC up to 21 just with Proficiency and Dex, which is better than any armor, and is well ahead of the AC calculation that dragon sorcerers get. I wouldn't be doing this, either.

@Yunru, why are you looking to make a shield cantrip, anyway?

BacchusNL

Explorer
No better than proficiency with shields. Worse, in fact, since shields give you +2 AC without costing your reaction.

Sorry dude, but that argument makes 0 sense. Not only are you pulling shield profficiencies out of thin air for some reason (something a lot of casters dont even have). I never even mentioned shield profficiencies, they are a whole different thing. Also the shield spell and shield profficiency stack, so there never really has to be a choice either.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Sorry dude, but that argument makes 0 sense. Not only are you pulling shield profficiencies out of thin air for some reason (something a lot of casters dont even have). I never even mentioned shield profficiencies, they are a whole different thing. Also the shield spell and shield profficiency stack, so there never really has to be a choice either.

You said, “Being able to shield up when you are surrounded by enemies, even at a lower value, as a cantrip seems way to good to me.” So, would giving a Wizard shield proficiency also seem way too good to you? If so, why? If not, I don’t understand what it is about a cantrip that gives +2 AC until the start of your next turn that you see as being too good.

aco175

Legend
I'm not sure that I like having the mage be able to boost his AC every round by being able to cast another spell. It does give the class a more magical feel, like Dr. Strange with his circle hands with runes on them to block bullets and such. Is there other things the mage can use his reaction for each round or is this about it? What does it take away from other classes?

I remember a bard that made people re-roll a few attacks per rest. The cleric has something too I remember. Making you have a higher AC or giving advantage or disadvantage to attack are all facets of the same. Heck, the thief has the half damage to only one attack each round at 5th level.

BacchusNL

Explorer
You said, “Being able to shield up when you are surrounded by enemies, even at a lower value, as a cantrip seems way to good to me.” So, would giving a Wizard shield proficiency also seem way too good to you? If so, why? If not, I don’t understand what it is about a cantrip that gives +2 AC until the start of your next turn that you see as being too good.

Ofcoarse I think giving all wizards shield profficiency is way too good. My original post was a suggestion to reduce the power of the suggested shield-cantrip down to what I would consider fair for a defensive reaction cantrip., I would think that would have given my position on that pretty obvious. I'm not even sure where to begin on all the reasons why not all wizards should have shield proff tbh...I'm quite the unapolegetic munchkin myself, and enjoy a crit much more then 5 minutes of RP, but if my DM gave my Wizard a free shield profficincy out of the blue I would go "Uhm tnx, but why...and how?"

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Ofcoarse I think giving all wizards shield profficiency is way too good. My original post was a suggestion to reduce the power of the suggested shield-cantrip down to what I would consider fair for a defensive reaction cantrip., I would think that would have given my position on that pretty obvious. I'm not even sure where to begin on all the reasons why not all wizards should have shield proff tbh...I'm quite the unapolegetic munchkin myself, and enjoy a crit much more then 5 minutes of RP, but if my DM gave my Wizard a free shield profficincy out of the blue I would go "Uhm tnx, but why...and how?"

I never said to give all wizards shield proficiency. Do you think shield proficiency is inherently too powerful for wizards to ever be able to access? If not, under what circumstances would you think it would be fair to give a wizard access to shield proficiency?

BacchusNL

Explorer
I never said to give all wizards shield proficiency. Do you think shield proficiency is inherently too powerful for wizards to ever be able to access? If not, under what circumstances would you think it would be fair to give a wizard access to shield proficiency?

There are plenty of ways for a wizard to get shield proffeciency with RAW, and I'm fine with all of them. I'm also fine with house-ruling, if you feel like it. But I still really don't understand what any of that has to do with a cantrip that either shields the caster to increase ac, or as I suggested; blinds an enemy to reduce his attack value

I don’t understand what it is about a cantrip that gives +2 AC until the start of your next turn that you see as being too good.

First of all I don't see any reason for that cantrip when Shield already exists. It's already a super good spell that fills it role. When thinking up new stuff for house-ruling I prefer to either think of something new that is lacking in the current game, or something that needs to be improved upon. Doubeling up on the same idea is just unnecesary bloat, so I'd rather see a different interpatation for a defensive spell then shield. Second, though I agree there could be more choices when it comes to cantrips that use reactions or bonus actions I also think they should be relativly limited in their power, so there is still a choice that has to be made and not push other options out the window. They are also going to be pretty much free at lower levels, as far as action-economy is concerned, so you can almost always expect a wizard to pop this cantrip every round below lvl 5. That's just to much, I think, unless you are also going to think up a a whole bunch of special martial techniques that give the poor fighters\ monks and barbs some more options.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
You could start it at +2 and have it scale +1 at the same rate as damage cantrips gaining a +5 bonus at level 16/17 (I forget which). That's just a couple levels off when a wizard could get an at-will version of shield anyway.

If I was to limit it, I'd make it apply to either a single attack, or all attacks that turn, effectively defending against a single opponent.

Remove ads