• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shield master on twitter

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
If you dont like the format of my posts, you have a button for that. It will likely be more productive than tossing around questions about others being lazy.

Three people now have asked you to cut it out. You know what would be more productive than everyone ignoring you over a silly issue like this? Just cut it out. Don't accuse people of trying to change the subject because of some tactic or something - it's a legit issue that you're dismissing. It's just a rudeness issue that you can easily address...so why not address it?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
@Oofta

You said: "Ignoring simple request like that seems to be irritating for no reason. That's all."
I say: Will you please stop harping over how someone decides they want to attribute your words to you?

It's a simple request afterall...
No reason to ignore it and seem to be irritating for no reason...

FrogReaver

@Mistwell

You said: "Don't accuse people of trying to change the subject because of some tactic or something - it's a legit issue that you're dismissing. It's just a rudeness issue that you can easily address...so why not address it?"

I say: As long as your words are attributed correctly then what does it actually matter how that is actually accomplished? This is much ado about nothing IMO. In fact it's more rude and even more of an issue that we are even having to take time to address how you are being quoted (because you somehow declare it to be rude). Goodness Gracious...

FrogReaver

Getting back to the heart of the thread.

I'm glad Jeremy Crawford came to his senses. The whole ruling that if/then statements were somehow void of any sequential (aka timing) mechanism has always been beyond me. That whole notion never made any sense sense. The only thing I hate is that this corrected ruling has came years later than the initial one. In fact, I hate the lateness of it so much that I wish the ruling had never been corrected. I would rather have a bad crazy ruling that I think is wrong and would never truly understand how it was arrived at than going back and trying to fix something after so long that didn't appear to be negatively impacting anyone's game.

My only suspicion (and totally unfounded) is that shield master was becoming to good with crit fishing and possibly was hindering their ability to create new class abilities or items to help enable those kinds of characters.

5ekyu

Hero
You've been asked multiple times, politely, to use the quote function. Ignoring simple request like that seems to be irritating for no reason. That's all.
Again, the redefination of trolling into ignoring others requests is highly illuminating.

People who do not comply are not trolls because of it.

5ekyu

Hero
Three people now have asked you to cut it out. You know what would be more productive than everyone ignoring you over a silly issue like this? Just cut it out. Don't accuse people of trying to change the subject because of some tactic or something - it's a legit issue that you're dismissing. It's just a rudeness issue that you can easily address...so why not address it?
Wow... Now its trolling and rudr to not do what others want you to do.

Adds new dimension to the phrase entitlement.

FrogReaver

[MENTION=2525]Mistwell[/MENTION] [MENTION=6801845]Oofta[/MENTION]

I just realized 5ekyu has me blocked so I take it all back. Give him heck for whatever the heck you desire!!! Thanks for doing the needful. :)

5ekyu

Hero
Has "do what others want or be dermed trolling, lazy, rude been added to the ToS when i wasnt looking?

Seems like either on hell of a sideways ad hominen or distraction or just very confusing and off topic... For so many to pile on.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Has "do what others want or be dermed trolling, lazy, rude been added to the ToS when i wasnt looking?

Seems like either on hell of a sideways ad hominen or distraction or just very confusing and off topic... For so many to pile on.

I think it is just a little weird for some when there is a reply with quote button that could have been used. It also doesn't let the original poster know that they have been quoted which means they might miss out on responding. Ultimately though, even though I might think "Why doesn't he use the reply with quote button?", I'm not really all that bothered by it and I certainly wouldn't consider it trolling.

FrogReaver

I think it is just a little weird for some when there is a reply with quote button that could have been used. It also doesn't let the original poster know that they have been quoted which means they might miss out on responding. Ultimately though, even though I might think "Why doesn't he use the reply with quote button?", I'm not really all that bothered by it and I certainly wouldn't consider it trolling.

Not sure his motivations but it's often much easier on a mobile phone to type out the line or 2 from a post you want to respond to put quotes around it and @whoever to notify them of it and then type your response below. On PC it's very easy to use the quote feature.

There are other reasons to not use the traditional quote feature as well. Using actual quotations as opposed to the site quote feature means the conversation can more easily be traced back further than just the immediately preceeding post which can help keep the conversation in focus. For example If I posted the following

You said: xyz

I say: blah blah blah

And you quoted that then it would look like the above. When I am reading your comment I can easily recall what prompted my comment the next day without trying to search for a needle in a haystack (since clicking the button that is supposed to take you to the post someone quoted using the site feautre doesn't work very often...)

It can also be helpful in pointing out inconsistent or flipflopping comments from another poster.

Anyways, the point is that there are a lot of legitimate reasons someone may choose to quote someone that way.

Last edited:

Remove ads