D&D 5E Shield Mastery Feat

5ekyu

Hero
You're in a thread about the Shield Mastery feat where the guy you are quoting as the definitive authority on RAW changed his mind 3 years later to do a complete 180 turn on what is RAW. You see the irony of you claiming he's the definitive authority on RAW in this very thread, right?
An authority changing its rules or rulings does not in any way diminish its authority or invalidate it - or we would have given up on courts long long ago.

G

Guest 6801328

It's so annoying that I have to log out in order to read posts from people who have blocked me. And, yes, I'm interested in what they have to say.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
An authority changing its rules or rulings does not in any way diminish its authority or invalidate it - or we would have given up on courts long long ago.

Oh it absolutely does diminish the reliability of that authority, which is why the Courts give so much power to precedent. Stare decisis is a top doctrine for the Courts, and cannot be violated without specific good reason (and we didn't get any of those specific good reasons in this change by the way) - it's the very reason why the USSC is binding on lower courts. When is the last time the US Supreme Court did a 180 on a holding within a 3 year period of time? As a 25 year attorney I can't recall it happening in modern times, and I certainly cannot recall it happening with the same exact justices simply changing their minds 3 years later. That would indeed send ripples throughout the legal system if a Justices recent prior ruling would be flipped a few years later by that same justice.

Naw, part of being an authority is the reliability of the rulings as precedent. Without that element a large part of the authority is diminished.

Last edited:

Remove ads