D&D 5E shilelagh, great club and GWM - does this work?

auburn2

Adventurer
Does this combo work for a Ranger with the Drudic Warrior fighting style?

While I am at it, I think the Ranger class is the only way to get Drudic warrior fighting style. I do not think you can get this style through a feat, is that correct?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Depends on how strictly you're going to follow RAW.
As written, shillelagh applies to clubs and quarterstaves, not greatclubs. If you convince your DM that greatclubs should be included in the spell's legal effects, then you've got to convince them that a greatclub is heavy since it lacks that qualifier (though it really should have it since it's quite a bit heavier than several other weapons designated as heavy).

Though, really, the first provision of GWM applies to any melee weapon, so a club or quarterstaff enhanced by shillelagh would be affected by it in any event as far as I can tell.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
You are correct that you can only get "Druidic Warrior" as a ranger fighting style, but any character can get "Magic Initiate - Druid" as a feat, which is the same thing but better (2 druid cantrips plus a level 1 druid spell).

Incidentally, I think the Paladin and Ranger fighting styles that give you cantrips are head and shoulders better than any other available fighting styles. I'm running a paladin and getting a TON of use out of Guidance and Toll the Dead.

Does this combo work for a Ranger with the Drudic Warrior fighting style?

While I am at it, I think the Ranger class is the only way to get Drudic warrior fighting style. I do not think you can get this style through a feat, is that correct?
It's not RAW, but I would allow it.

Remove ads