D&D 5E Shillelagh after 5th Level

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I dunno, I see it as blasting an enemy with a firebolt or throwing a fireball wiping out ranged enemies and then smacking someone close with their sword. It fits the image I have quite well of a spellsword.

Sent from my SM-G925I using EN World mobile app

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Green flame blade wasn't in the original PHB. Or any PHB.

The thing is that a lot of builds don't exist until material comes out to support them. It's why people buy expansion books... To expand their options!

If GFB had been in the PHB, then something else wouldn't have been, and then when the other thing came out in a supplement, some people would ask why it wasn't in the PHB!

The 5e PHB very deliberately hearkened back to earlier editions, though it does have some new material.

Cheers!

But "I hit people with a sword and magic happens" is sort of a basic eldritch knight (and other "gish" type characters) function. Fighter-mages are *way* older than warlocks. Would it have been ok if Hex hadn't been in the PHB?

Green flame blade, like the tressym, is one of those little things that weren't in the core books, but that they gave us as freebies without having to buy the containing volume:

http://dndwizards.tumblr.com/post/130379375936/behold-the-greenflame-blade-donate-at

But yes, some things, like the eldritch knight's War Magic, don't make nearly as much sense without those cantrips.

Thanks for the link, but is that a "legit" source? I didn't know WotC had a tumblr...

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
But "I hit people with a sword and magic happens" is sort of a basic eldritch knight (and other "gish" type characters) function. Fighter-mages are *way* older than warlocks.

Go to AD&D and look at how fighter/magic-users work. It isn't "hit people with a sword and magic happens". Look at the 3E core book - again, hardly a spell to enhance a fighter/mage's weapon attacks.

In fact, the art of blade-dancing is very much a Forgotten Realms-linked ability. Thus, when the SCAG came out, that's the natural place to include greenflame blade.

Cheers!

Remove ads