• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ship combat quickplay (mild spoilers for ZEITGEIST)

I'm working on rules for ZEITGEIST's naval combat encounters in adventure 2, and I needed something fast and efficient. Please let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Naval Quickplay.doc
    59 KB · Views: 79

Spatula

Explorer
I would get rid of the OA-provoking stuff. Actions that are not movement or ranged/area attacks rarely provoke in 4e.

The rules look good. I would add some guidelines for ramming; maybe the damage would be by size or a fraction of the ship's HP.

I guess the concern is having the game screech to a halt while everyone gets up to speed on the vehicle rules.

I would get rid of the OA-provoking stuff. Actions that are not movement or ranged/area attacks rarely provoke in 4e.

Good point. It's already enough of a choice of whether to spend your action controlling the ship or fighting. No need to penalize PCs further.

The rules look good. I would add some guidelines for ramming; maybe the damage would be by size or a fraction of the ship's HP.

I have ramming rules, but I don't think they're needed for the adventure, since neither ship will be able to deal enough damage to the other for sinking to really be an option.

I guess the concern is having the game screech to a halt while everyone gets up to speed on the vehicle rules.

The PCs will have plenty of lead time to know that there's going to be a ship encounter. I hoped this would be simple enough that you could hand a single sheet of rules to the players, and it would cover all the stuff they need to worry about. Whoever's captain might want to read a bit more.

Remove ads