Ships?

Feeroper

Explorer
Hey everyone,

For the campaign I am currently running, it appears the PCs are going to be attempting to aquire a sea based vessel for travel to an island. I was wondering if there is any place where rules for ship travel and possible ship battle exist for 4e? The PCs won't be there for a while but I want to be prepared ahead of time.

Doesn't need to be official, jus need help getting a system in place for travel and battle via ship that is not just a skill challenge. Thanks!

Feeroper

Explorer
That seems exactly tailor made to what I was looking for. Thanks for the heads up Morrus!

PS I realized shorty after reading your reply that this was announced on the front news page a little while ago. I must have just looked right past it. Thanks!

Feeroper

Explorer
Well, my players are fastly approaching the naval segment that I have been anticipating. Since Admiral 'o the high seas won't be available to me in time, I wondered if anyone has some kind of homebrew rules setup for naval warfare and travel?

Some of it can just be role played of course, and I'm sure skill challenges may be able to take care of some
situations. However, I would like to have some kind of flexible or standard system to tie it together. Any suggestions?

Let's brainstorm some ideas, even if they seem too crazy to pull off (if you are up to it).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, my players are fastly approaching the naval segment that I have been anticipating. Since Admiral 'o the high seas won't be available to me in time, I wondered if anyone has some kind of homebrew rules setup for naval warfare and travel?

Some of it can just be role played of course, and I'm sure skill challenges may be able to take care of some
situations. However, I would like to have some kind of flexible or standard system to tie it together. Any suggestions?

Let's brainstorm some ideas, even if they seem too crazy to pull off (if you are up to it).

Drop me an email and I'll send you the quick play rules in the ZEITGEIST adventure path (the ones which Admiral o' the High Seas is inspired by). It's just a few pages, but it's useable.

Chairman7w

First Post
My advice: Do NOT get into running ship-to-ship sea battles. Just do a Narrative as DM ("The ships trade fire as they close and the splinters fly as the ships crash together!! Initiative!") until the ships meet, then run standard combat.

I ran a long pirate campaign in 3.5 that was an absolute blast, EXCEPT for the ship-to-ship sea battles. EVERY single time it absolutely ground the session to a halt, NOBODY had any fun and I would refuse to ever do that again.

There's still plenty of fun to be had climbing riggings, swinging from masts, jumping from ship-to-ship, etc.

Just one guy's opinion.

Remove ads