Shooting for LA+1...

sirwmholder

First Post
Without boring you with flavor text here are some of the things I'm considering for +1 LA races...

-----------------------

Cat Race

Medium
+2 Dexterity
Superior Low-light vision (x3)
+1 Dodge Bonus
+2 to Move Silently, Hide and Jump
PHB2 - Leap of the Heavens
Base speed 40ft
Favored Class: Ranger

------------------------

Wolf race

Medium
+2 Wisdom
Low-light vision (x2)
+2 to Handle Animal, Knowledge (Nature), Survival, Wild Empathy
Pack Hunters: Additional +2 when Flanking an opponent
Limited Scent: A wolf can detect opponents within 5 feet by sense of smell. If the opponent is upwind, the range increases to 10 feet; if downwind, it drops to 0 feet. Otherwise this scent ability is exactly like that which is presented in the DMG. Tracking by scent ignores the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility.
Favored Class: Druid

-------------------------

Dwarf

Small
+2 Constitution
Darkvision (60 ft.)
Powerful Build
Stabilization: +4 to Bull Rush & Trip
Armor Specialization: No movement penalty while in Medium or Heavy Armor. Armor check penalty still applies to skills and ability checks.
+2 Craft (Architecture and Engineering)
Favored Class: Fighter

--------------------------

Last edited:

Flynn

First Post
sirwmholder said:
-------------------------

Dwarf

Small
+2 Constitution
Darkvision (60 ft.)
Powerful Build
Stabilization: +4 to Bull Rush & Trip
Heavy Armor Specialization: No movement penalty while in Heavy Armor. Armor check penalty still applies to skills and ability checks.
+2 Craft (Architecture and Engineering)
Favored Class: Fighter

--------------------------

What about medium armor? I thought there was a movement penalty there, as well?

Very concise, but interesting.

I'll try to give this more thought and give you better feedback later,
Flynn

Spatzimaus

First Post
sirwmholder said:
Without boring you with flavor text here are some of the things I'm considering for +1 LA races...

Most of these are just weak for +1 LA, IMO. You've removed the usual -2 stat penalties, and given some nice little bonuses, but not enough to really justify a full LA increase (although they're clearly too good for LA+0). They do compare well with the Aasimar and Tiefling, but I've always felt those races were underpowered for LA+1 as well.

The Dwarf you use is a separate discussion. The Powerful Build ability, and the Bull Rush/Trip bonuses, only serve to counteract the loss when you dropped from Medium to Small size. So really, it's more like saying "the PHB Dwarf, but with +1 AC and +1 attack from size".

Also, as a nitpick, low-light vision is expressed as a multiplier (x2, x3, x4), not a set distance.

sirwmholder

First Post
Thanks for taking the time.
Flynn said:
What about medium armor? I thought there was a movement penalty there, as well?...
You are correct... thanks for catching that... I'll revise it to include Medium Armor as well.

Spatzimaus said:
Most of these are just weak for +1 LA, IMO. You've removed the usual -2 stat penalties, and given some nice little bonuses, but not enough to really justify a full LA increase (although they're clearly too good for LA+0). They do compare well with the Aasimar and Tiefling, but I've always felt those races were underpowered for LA+1 as well.
Low side of LA +1 isn't as much a problem... my primary goal is to balance these against each other.... if they are all LA +1 then my goal should be complete.

Spatzimaus said:
The Dwarf you use is a separate discussion. The Powerful Build ability, and the Bull Rush/Trip bonuses, only serve to counteract the loss when you dropped from Medium to Small size. So really, it's more like saying "the PHB Dwarf, but with +1 AC and +1 attack from size".
True. I dropped the racial bonuses to goblins, orcs and giants in favor of a general size bonus. Still they rate up there as a weak LA +1.

Spatzimaus said:
Also, as a nitpick, low-light vision is expressed as a multiplier (x2, x3, x4), not a set distance.
You know I always forget Darkvision and Low-light vision are handled a little differently. Thanks for bringing this up I'll be sure to correct it.

Thanks for the feedback, please keep it coming,
William Holder

sirwmholder

First Post
Any other comments would be greatly appreciated... Are these three more or less balanced against each other?

Thank you for your time,
William Holder

Remove ads