D&D 5E Should Cure and Inflict Wounds should be touch spells?

Bow_Seat

First Post
I am running a game this weekend and a player who is new to D&D, but not to pnprpgs, was making a druid. He asked me what specialty he should take, since he wasn't interested in the complexity of making one for himself. I saw that he had chosen the spell focussed version of the druid to play and I told him that grabbing the metamagician would probably be good enough (or at least not bad). So for his lvl1 feat he picked up distant spell. I thought to myself "well that's good, he can heal at range now because cure wounds is a touch spell." I was so surprised to see that cure wounds, in fact, had a 25' range. Ironically enough, distant spell doesn't make any ranged spells go farther, but instead allows you to make a touch spell become ranged.
I have since struggled to find many spells that would benefit from the distant spell feat. My first instinct was to say "well wotc should probably make more of these spells touch range," but then it occurred to me that doing so would just make choosing distant spell feel like a feat tax. I'm kind of stumped as to whether more spells should be touch range or whether distant spells should just be relegated to the 'not that robust' feat pile.

Remove ads