D&D General Should D&D Be "Hard"

Personally I don't see the problem with a "wall"-like monster encounter - by which I mean a monster the PCs might encounter, for which the viable course of action is "turn back" - as long as there isn't something the PCs immediately need behind the "wall". E.g. it would be an error for some mission-critical information, item, or NPC to be on the wrong side of the "wall" in a linear adventure path.

A "wall" encounter can, to my mind, easily gate:
  1. Something one or more PCs want but can do without;
  2. Something that amounts to a bonus that the PCs would benefit from finding;
without any problems (from an adventure/campaign design perspective) until such time as the PCs have reached a power level where typical courses of action - negotiate, sneak, fight (etc.?) are also viable - although I'd be inclined to suggest such "walls" be left to sandbox-style play more often than not.

Personally I don't see the problem with a "wall"-like monster encounter - by which I mean a monster the PCs might encounter, for which the viable course of action is "turn back" - as long as there isn't something the PCs immediately need behind the "wall". E.g. it would be an error for some mission-critical information, item, or NPC to be on the wrong side of the "wall" in a linear adventure path.

A "wall" encounter can, to my mind, easily gate:
  1. Something one or more PCs want but can do without;
  2. Something that amounts to a bonus that the PCs would benefit from finding;
without any problems (from an adventure/campaign design perspective) until such time as the PCs have reached a power level where typical courses of action - negotiate, sneak, fight (etc.?) are also viable - although I'd be inclined to suggest such "walls" be left to sandbox-style play more often than not.
While this wouldn't be my preference on either side of the screen I can agree it isn't inevitably crap scenario design. There's also the possibility that the mistake/s that led to such an impossible-for-the-PCs encounter happened on the players' side.

Remove ads