D&D General Should D&D feature fearsome critters and other Americana?

TravDoc42

Getting a hang of this!
the beast of gluttony and craving, where the hell did the antlers come from even I know they are not from the stories and I am a ocean away.

every continent has a hairy ape-man they seem to be an inevitability of the human mind.

those sound exactly the same as half of European myths so I doubt they are proof of anything.
The antlers thing weird me out too, I'm not sure who decided to add them on. Antlered beasts are cool, but why here?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
If you want a realistic answer, a shaman with a dear skull strapped to their head.

But sometimes the realistic answers are not the best answers.
but that has never had anything to do with the stories, it would be like associating pyromaniacs with the dress of firefighters, the local animist is the person trying to keep the damn thing way not become one.

but that has never had anything to do with the stories, it would be like associating pyromaniacs with the dress of firefighters.
The person who is telling the stories wears the dear skull. Have you ever seen a oral-tradition storyteller in action?

Have you never walked through a forest and been briefly startled by a bleached white animal skull for that matter?

Last edited:

Clint_L

Hero
I like using Americana in my Call of Cthulhu, Fiasco, and Dread games. It doesn't work super well in my D&D; I think it would be distracting. Though that said, Cthulhu-inspired creatures and plots work their way into my campaigns quite often, but they don't feel specifically American.

I like using Americana in my Call of Cthulhu, Fiasco, and Dread games. It doesn't work super well in my D&D; I think it would be distracting. Though that said, Cthulhu-inspired creatures and plots work their way into my campaigns quite often, but they don't feel specifically American.
You could write an English Literature paper on the topic of "Only the United States could have produced H P Lovecraft: Discuss".

Remove ads