• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should each ability scores get it's own table?

deadwor1d

First Post
One of the best things about 3e was the getting ability score mods in check.

Agree. As an old school player (pre 3.x) I have to say one of the most helpful innovations to the game was the reduction in ability score tables to a single modifier provided (spellcaster foo notwithstanding). I think the first time I saw this was in the Rules Cyclopedia, but my memory can be foggy at times.

One table to rule them all.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Cha - maximum number of henchmen.

This one has always puzzled me. Did people actually let players control half a dozen characters in their games? I've heard enough complaints about 3e animal companions and summoning spells and how much time it takes for their turns, but compared to having half a dozen henchmen to control in each round, one animal companion seems like nothing.

All the while I was playing 2E I secretly longed for the adjustment table from BECMI/RC.

3 -3
4-5 -2
6-8 -1
9-12 +0
13-15 +1
16-17 +2
18 +3

Can't say I'd like that. The math is already too swingy as it is, due to the bonuses players get being so small compared to the d20 roll. That, and, IMO, it's bad enough that odd-numbered ability scores don't do anything. If we follow this chart, only every 3rd point matters.

deadwor1d

First Post
This one has always puzzled me. Did people actually let players control half a dozen characters in their games? I've heard enough complaints about 3e animal companions and summoning spells and how much time it takes for their turns, but compared to having half a dozen henchmen to control in each round, one animal companion seems like nothing.

Yes. Yes we did. :p

Gryph

First Post
You know, I think it would be really interesting if we had a sourcebook for each ability score - Complete Constitution: Character Options for Tough Heroes, or something like that. You could have themes, backgrounds, alternate race and class features, etc.

Makes at least as much sense as Heroes of Snow.

Remove ads