Starfinder Should I pick up Starfinder if I hate Pathfinder

76512390ag12

First Post
Starfinder is only slightly less crunchy than Pathfinder, and they add in all the chase and starship rules on top, so you really don't get out of rules overload.

However, it's my favorite system right now, mainly because it IS fairly compatible with PF and other d20 systems.

If you want a chunky, yet rules light Sci-Fi game (and one that is similar to D&D), check out Stars Without Number: Revised. So much winning!
SWN is a white box type retroclone. It does have great world/system/faction generation rules but I would hesitate to say it is an alien packed sci-fantasy

daddystabz

Explorer
Starfinder is basically Pathfinder in space, so if you don't like the 3.5 rules system, you'll hate this.

I have heard multiple people state that it is not fair to call it Pathfinder in space. Regardless, I picked up the core rulebook, GM screen, Combat Pad, and Condition Cards the other night because I have been a bit intrigued. If I end up hating it I will sell it off or something.

I hope I do not regret this.

Would you say it is crunchier than D&D 5e? D&D 5e is fine for me in terms of crunch.

Robyo

Explorer
It's definitely more crunchy than 5e, slightly less than PF.

If running the game, the OP will definitely want the Alien Archive too. All the books are great however.
I would rate the books in importance: 1)Core, 2)Alien Archive, 3)Armory, 4)Alien Archive 2, 5)Pact Worlds.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
If it was a question of not liking the way PF interacts with a fantasy environment, then maybe. But if you hate PF mechanics, Starfinder is probably not for you.

Shawn Stroud

Villager
No. You shouldn't. If you hate the ruleset, then another very similar ruleset will not make you happy.

I would strongly suggest hitting your local Barnes & Noble to see if they're carrying a copy and peruse it. Then, if you like what you see, you can pick up the rules.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
No. You shouldn't. If you hate the ruleset, then another very similar ruleset will not make you happy.

I would strongly suggest hitting your local Barnes & Noble to see if they're carrying a copy and peruse it. Then, if you like what you see, you can pick up the rules.

Or if you’re willing to risk $10, you can always pick up the core rules PDF.

5ekyu

Hero
Go to drive thru rpg and take a look at Esper Genesis rpg - 5e derived scifi free basic rules available there. Not at all pathfinders crunch and very familiar mechanically to 5e.

Ran it for about an 18 month campaign. Great stuff.

I have heard multiple people state that it is not fair to call it Pathfinder in space.

But that's basically what it is. It is the standard Pathfinder rule set, but set in a Guardians of the Galaxy-esque fantasy/scifi setting. The only real difference seems to be the rules for spaceships, which are okay-ish. But it is mostly the exact same complexity of rules.

Would you say it is crunchier than D&D 5e? D&D 5e is fine for me in terms of crunch.

Way crunchier. It is basically D&D 3rd edition (or more accurately, 3.5, for people who care to make that distinction).
So if you dislike 3rd edition, that is what this is. It's 3rd edition wearing a fake mustach and a spacesuit.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases