• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should off-topic polls be allowed in the Off-Topic Forum?

Should off-topic polls be allowed in the off-topic forum?

• Yes, allow off-topic polls.

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • No, don't allow off-topic polls.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Neither of your options is adequate for me, fool!

Votes: 17 27.4%

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricNoah

Adventurer
We've had a longstanding ban against off-topic polls in the past because people just went crazy with them. But now that we have an out of the way place for off-topic posting, should off-topic polls be allowed on a trial basis?

I dunno...it would probably allow too many completely random and ultimatly pointless things. At least some discussions in this forum aren't THAT pointless. :)

Silver Moon

Adventurer
EricNoah said:
We've had a longstanding ban against off-topic polls in the past because people just went crazy with them. But now that we have an out of the way place for off-topic posting, should off-topic polls be allowed on a trial basis?
I don't know. Maybe. Why don't you start a poll with that question to see what everyone thinks? :D

Macbeth

First Post
Well, I don't have strong feelings either way, but I had to vote when I saw the "fool" option.

On a more serious note: can the server handle the strain? I thought the ban on OT polls was in part resource related.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Macbeth said:
Well, I don't have strong feelings either way, but I had to vote when I saw the "fool" option.

On a more serious note: can the server handle the strain? I thought the ban on OT polls was in part resource related.

No, it wasn't resource related as far as I remember -- it was that people just loved posting silly pointless polls even more than regular off-topic banter, and it was getting so you couldn't go anywhere without tripping over them. We got lots of complaints. So we banned them as a way to keep some of the off-topic clutter out of General.

Macbeth

First Post
EricNoah said:
No, it wasn't resource related as far as I remember -- it was that people just loved posting silly pointless polls even more than regular off-topic banter, and it was getting so you couldn't go anywhere without tripping over them. We got lots of complaints. So we banned them as a way to keep some of the off-topic clutter out of General.
In that case I don't see any problem with it, but I'm not particularly for it either. Do as you will, oh mighty mods.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
I'd advocate taking a wait-and-see attitude. I didn't have high hopes for this forum, but it's going well. The place hasn't turned into spam heaven or anything. There is a possibility that allowing off topic polls would change that balance. Since this is still an experiment, I don't think it's a good idea to add another variable right now. If this forum ends up staying, then maybe in a few months it would be a good idea to see what happens if OT polls are also allowed.

orbitalfreak

First Post
I wouldn't mind, as long as people kept them from being non-sensical. Who's going to win the [sport] playoffs? Which is your favourite musical genre? I think those would be fine. "Have you hugged your couch today? Y/N" would probably not be.

alsih2o

First Post
i wouldn't

Attachments

• worms.JPG
    worms.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 134

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads