Should the Greatsword be d12?

Should the Greatsword be d12?

• Yes

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • No

Votes: 63 55.8%

Anthony Jackson

First Post
Going back to the OP's question and addressing some aspects of it. I'd have to say it needs something. The greatsword is underpowered.
Correction: either the greatsword is underpowered, or the bastard sword is overpowered. It's not like the bastard sword is actually necessary to the game -- the longsword is in fact a hand and a half sword already (that's why it has Versatile).

keterys

First Post
Aside: And now there is an improved two-handed weapon, in the Adventurer's Vault. Just like Greataxe, but "brutal 2" which means you can't roll a 1 or 2... which really just turns it into 1d10+2 per W, but more annoying.

FireLance

Legend
Of course since it's a fast flowing fun game why don't we just pull out the bastard sword and add the following feat:

Anime Sword Weilder
Prerequisites: none
Effect: You can weild a greatsword as a one handed weapon. Additionally your so awesome that you get a +1 bonus to damage when weilding a greatsword in two hands.

Now we don't even need that extra sword type taking up possible treasure. Sounds a bit rediculous, but mechanically, is it any different from weapon proficiency bastard sword?
A bit late, but yes:

1. When you use reaping strike, you deal half Strength modifier damage on a miss with a bastard sword, and full Strength modifier damage on a miss with a greatsword.

2. When you use Power Attack, you deal an extra 2 points of damage per tier with a bastard sword, and an extra 3 points of damage per tier with a greatsword.

As written, the feat is thus slightly better than Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword).

FireLance

Legend
Aside: And now there is an improved two-handed weapon, in the Adventurer's Vault. Just like Greataxe, but "brutal 2" which means you can't roll a 1 or 2... which really just turns it into 1d10+2 per W, but more annoying.
I'm guessing it will be a superior weapon, though. Brutal 2 just increases its average damage to 1 more than a basic greataxe, without increasing its maximum damage.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
FireLance, your powers of thread resurrection are truly devastating. If only your "reply to" email button was as powerful...

Anyway, I thought we resolved this by giving all weapons that can be wielded 2H a +1 to damage when wielded 2H?

keterys

First Post
Yeah, my fault - I wanted to see if my prediction of superior weapons in Adventurer's Vault, now confirmed, shakes this up at all... after all, even more damage for two-handed via superior weapons addresses the bastard sword complaint to a certain extent.

Though I still suspect just not having superior weapons is a solid option - except maybe shuriken and rapiers.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Though I still suspect just not having superior weapons is a solid option - except maybe shuriken and rapiers.

I don't feel it's a solid option at all. If there is an expectation in the system that one handed weapons can deal out a maximum of d10 damage, then taking out the bastard sword gimps all the melee classes that rely on it.

Suddenly all those 2-3 W attacks my fighter has become much less effective.

Besides, I've wanted a bastard sword fighter that was effective for years and now I finally have it, so nyah.

Personally I think the +1 damage to all weapons that can be wielded two-handed, when wielded two-handed, is a perfect fix. What about it don't you like?

Anthony Jackson

First Post
I don't feel it's a solid option at all. If there is an expectation in the system that one handed weapons can deal out a maximum of d10 damage, then taking out the bastard sword gimps all the melee classes that rely on it.
Have you ever heard of a battle axe or warhammer?
Kzach said:
Personally I think the +1 damage to all weapons that can be wielded two-handed, when wielded two-handed, is a perfect fix. What about it don't you like?
The bastard sword creates problems beyond how it competes with 2H weapons; it also creates balance problems for 1H weapons, because all of the other feats that give a bonus to a specific class of weapon are paragon tier. As such, removing the bastard sword is the smallest change that fixes the problem.

Introducing 'superior' weapons in all weapon categories would also solve the problem, but requires more net changes.

Starfox

Hero
My call here is to introduce a superior version of the greatsword: A Zweihander (for lack of better name) that does 1d12. Same relation to the greatsword as the bastard sword has to the longsword.

But maybe this makes the heavy blade category too good?

Remove ads