• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Should there always be a chance of failure in D&D Next?

Should there always be a chance of failure in D&D Next?

• Yes

Votes: 33 45.2%
  • No

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • Other

Votes: 10 13.7%

Hussar

Legend
The point I am trying to make is the fact that a PC is not in 100% control when it comes to skills and I think the system needs to reflect this with a mechanic that will always allow a failure to represent that outside influence.

It's not a complicated math equation. It's rather simple actually.

I'd point out though that "not in 100% control" is absolutely true, but is subsumed into the DC calculation. Using the "crossing the stream" example, if there are loose rocks, then the DC for crossing the stream should be higher. If the DC is set high enough that there is actually a chance of failure, then sure, roll the dice. Otherwise, why bother?

Now, if you are claiming that the check itself should in some way change the situation, then you are adding considerable complication to skill checks. D&D skill checks are simple pass/fail with no degrees of success. Whether I beat (or fail) by 1 or 100 doesn't matter, the result will always be the same.

So, why should there be a difference when I roll a one? And I certainly do not think that there should be a 5% chance of success on any check either. There are things that people just cannot do. There is absolutely no way I could scale a flat wall. I just can't. I know that. There should never be an "auto success" any more than "auto fail".

Note, however, crossing the streams is bad. :D

Stormonu

Legend
If there's going to be a roll involved, yes, there should be a chance of failure.

But there are times there shouldn't be a roll in the first place. I don't want my players rolling to see if they fall out of their bed or slip in bathtub and kill themselves. If I have them roll a Drive check to get to work safely it's because there's some sort of encounter I've devised that will test their driving skill or because I rolled a 6 on the "possible vehicle accident" random encounter chart in the first place.

Routine activities do not need die rolls. When the DM wants to interject tension - the chance that things do not go as planned, that's when we should be rolling.

Remove ads