• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should undead be allowed to speak?

Should Undead be allowed to speak?

• Yes.

Votes: 65 55.1%
  • No.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • Only if they want to.

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%

lukelightning

First Post
Awaken undead has a duration of "permanent" so watch out for dispel magic! (I think it should be instantaneous, like awaken).

I would definitely allow an intelligent undead to speak, regardless of physiology; well I guess an intelligent zombie or skeleton with no jaw wouldn't be able to, but that would be a flavor thing. As other folks have pointed out, lots of other things with no speech organs can speak in D&D.

P.s. Have you heard about the dyslexic zombies? They try to eat your brians.

Cabral

First Post
Present the arguments others have suggested (omit the duffus bit), but be prepared for some potential resentment for going to these boards for arguments, advice, suggestions, etc about how he should run his game.

It is his game. His world. His rules. He does not have to follow the Player's Handbook, DMG, or Monster Manual by the letter. I sure don't. That said, he hopefully is not unbending in his decisions, and will entertain the above arguments.

If he does not, fret not! Ask your DM if you can change the Minion's Command Word to Command Thought on the basis that you were unaware of his ruling about your minion and speech when you created, bought, assigned, etc the equipment for your minion. Thereafter, you'll have to keep the minion's limitations in mind

Good luck and I hopefully you and your DM can reach a mutually enjoyable solution. :D

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Joker said:
I have a evil Rat-Bastard DM.

I answered maybe. If your DM says yes, then yes. If no, then no.

Calling your DM names doesn't win points in the argument.

Andargor

Dakhran the Dark

First Post
Scion said:
Only when spoken to. Otherwise they are likely to get all uppity and expecting rights. You cant let the undead have rights!

;)
Scene from an undead uprising:

Leader: What do we want?

Zombies: BRAAAAINS!

Leader: When do we want it?

Zombies: BRAAAAINS!

[EDIT] What makes this even more funny is, this has actually happened... :lol:

Last edited:

Bad Paper

First Post
I would allow an awakened skeleton to speak sign language, and require its creator to buy a rank in Speak Language to learn to sign. No vocalizations for skeletons.

lukelightning

First Post
But liches can speak, right?

Bad Paper said:
I would allow an awakened skeleton to speak sign language, and require its creator to buy a rank in Speak Language to learn to sign. No vocalizations for skeletons.

Kid Socrates

First Post
Count another vote for "Braaaaaaaaaaaaaains."

In all seriousness, what would stop it? It's already a dead creature walking around sentient, a bane to life and all it stands for. I can't figure out how it wouldn't be allowed to shout curses to the living as it damns them for eternity. Or until they die. Whichever. No biggie.

Remove ads