D&D 5E Show me how to build a defender....

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
I suspect I would like a lot of your houserules

First of all, thank you! I've been considering for a while making a post of all the houserules we use, just to share with everyone.

A solution I seen still kept the reaction cost but allowed it to be done after the subject was hit... and forced a re-roll (it could combine with other sources of disadvantage) But the damage reduction idea how exactly did that work?

As a Reaction when the defender, or an adjacent ally would be hit (so after a hit is declared), the defender can use his shield to reduce the incoming damage by (1d4 for small shields, 1d6 for medium) plus the target's strength bonus. Considerably weaker than monk's deflect arrows, but as a fighting style we thought this lesser version was appropriate for defenders.

With one reaction per round limitation, giving up a potential 1d8+7 (with duelist style instead) on an opportunity attack, 1d6+5 DR felt fair.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
First of all, thank you! I've been considering for a while making a post of all the houserules we use, just to share with everyone.

Sounds interesting.
As a Reaction when the defender, or an adjacent ally would be hit (so after a hit is declared), the defender can use his shield to reduce the incoming damage by (1d4 for small shields, 1d6 for medium) plus the target's strength bonus. Considerably weaker than monk's deflect arrows, but as a fighting style we thought this lesser version was appropriate for defenders.

With one reaction per round limitation, giving up a potential 1d8+7 (with duelist style instead) on an opportunity attack, 1d6+5 DR felt fair.

Nods I think I agree... it is at least ballpark.

It uses your one and only reaction... no opportunity attacks no Sentinel feat benefits and you are protecting against an attack that may have been something which already failed. It seems like you are trading out offense not defense.

Schroedingers attack?

You declare you're using the fighting style; and then the DM rolls 2xd20 simultaneously taking the lowest.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Schroedingers attack? You declare you're using the fighting style; and then the DM rolls 2xd20 simultaneously taking the lowest.

No reason to imagine the actual hero has NO evidence about the success he is there the player isn't... he sees a windup the target not seeming to notice etc I assume these are experts not the player.... DM: it looks like they are going to hit ... ok I interfere

Heck the bad guys failed attack roll might just be couldn't find an opening

Last edited:

Remove ads