Sick, Twisted Villains?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Killing people isn't?
In a game where the death of BBEG is an acceptable way to solve the problem he has created ... "killing people", with no further explanation, could be a Good thing.

You gotta give the villain more - like endorsing slavery, beating up children, kidnapping NPCs and demanding a king's ransom, stealing the PCs' stuff - to make him clearly the villain, not simply a rival adventurer.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Who are we writing for and what are we writing? Because that makes a difference.[/size]

My work is definitely not for little kids. I want to see college kids and older adults digging into it, not children. I am not even sure just what would be considered "sick" for a PG or G audience. What is the worst thing a villain in children's literature has done?

Well, if you're into Disney, you know that parents get mowed down ALL THE TIME.

Indeed, and not always in the prologue either. Bambi's mom gets shot in the middle of the film.

I am not even sure just what would be considered "sick" for a PG or G audience. What is the worst thing a villain in children's literature has done?

There's also the matter of PG movies that came out before PG-13 was invented, so you get things like Temple of Doom where there's kidnapping and graverobbing and blatant racism and cutting deals with the mob (and that's just from the GOOD GUYS; the BAD GUY enslaves children, rips people's hearts out, and sets people on fire), or Gremlins where there's a rotting body in the chimney, or Blacula where people get their throats ripped out and everyone curses like a sailor

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
My work is definitely not for little kids. I want to see college kids and older adults digging into it, not children. I am not even sure just what would be considered "sick" for a PG or G audience. What is the worst thing a villain in children's literature has done?
The witch in Hansel and Gretel was going to feed the kids candy to make them fat, then kill and eat them. You want the top-end plot to take a while to develop; letting the kids gorge themselves until sick (equals 'unable to travel / escape') is Bad all by itself.

Remove ads