Simple Riddle... but TOO simple?

IMO, the problem with riddles like these is that their are numerous "correct" answers. Sure, I know the author is thinking of one thing or one correct answer when they write the riddle. But, the riddle, and clues, are not so precise that only one answer fits. So, how are the players supposed to know which one correct answer is the answer the GM will actually accept?

So, I would just suggest that a GM accepts any answer that makes sense given the riddle and the character (not player) knowledge.

aco175

Legend
First line I was thinking age- with child wanting grow up and vain people afraid of wrinkles. I came to time rather quickly after the extra clues. I do not think you need the extra clues. You may add them if the PCs roll a DC 15 check if the players are not getting it, but I think they should.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Overall I thought it was great, the clues are especially good and open opportunities up for a bit more interaction and roleplay.

I do agree though that Time is a bit cliche and thus easily guessed (so either make the riddle more cryptic or get another answer).
I dont tend to like guess or die riddles but for roleplaying you could start cryptic and with each wrong guess impose a penalty before giving another clue, each one making it progressively easier ...

If time is the answer, I don't feel some of the lines fit that well. A good riddle excludes all other options. Is time really a child's desire? It is a bit of a stretch.

Yeah I found that a bit off too, a child might want to be grown up but they rarely would associate that with time. As alternatives mybe
A lovers desire..? An elders desire..?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
You'll probably want to fix your typo in line 2, though: that should read "More ravaging than any fire" - correct?

Johnathan
LOL - yeah -- fixed. You're the first person to notice that. Just goes to show what our minds will put in place when we think we know what something should say... :)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
UPDATE: I've added a variant to the first line, to try to differentiate it from some of the other "answers" people were coming up with.

Base riddle:

Vanity's foe, an old man's desire
More ravaging than any fire
Worst of enemies, best of friends
With value one rarely comprehends

This removes the stretch about "kids wishing they were older at times" to the old man (person) wanting more time before they die.

BUT I'm not sold on it, since IMO for some people when you get to a certain age (old "enough") you are not anxious to die necessarily, but you aren't afraid of it, either.

Thoughts?

Remove ads