• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Simple skills house rule

gpetruc

First Post
I've read some of the threads on possible house rulings for class skills and skill cost to provide more versatility while mantaining game balance.

I've got this idea that while being simple might work: use the standard class skill list & rank cost, but don't half the maximum skill rank limit for cross class skills.
In this way a fighter that wants to focus himself on, let's say, Tumble or Move Silently, can have the same ranks as someone that has that skill as a class skill, but he has still to pay 2 skill points for one rank (the skill is something outside the normal training that the fighter class gets from training, and so he has to spend more time on it, and renounce to some other skill).

What do you think ?
(The main problem I see could be in qualifying for the PrCs, but I don't use them much and so I'm not sure)

Dave G

First Post
See I'd reverse it, I'd keep the max ranks for cross-class but charge the same for class skills... that way its still limited but not castratingly so...

Drawmack

First Post
There are a couple of ways to do this. Two have been mentioned. I prefer the first manor.

here's the logic
I'm a computer programmer. If I want to learn a new language I can spend work time and personal time on that pursuit. Thereby making the task easier because I have more time to work on it. However if I want to learn how to draw I have to do that in only my spare time making it harder for me to learn due to a lack of time.

Remove ads