Level Up (A5E) Simplified OSR-ish Level Up Monster Stats?

Faolyn

(she/her)
Hey all! It's been a while since I've posted to this particular forum.

I'm making, for personal use only, an "OSR-ified" Level Up. I.e., condensed and simplified. Like, each heritage has two traits and a gift, there are cultures (each of which also has two traits plus languages) but no backgrounds or destinies, only three classes and ten levels, streamlined combat maneuvers, stuff like that. I say "personal use" because I'm stealing ideas from all over the place so there's no way that this could ever be legally published. Heck, I even stole the idea from @Sacrosanct's Bugbears and Borderlands, which looks awesome, although I haven't had the chance to play it yet.

Plus this "LU OSR" has several differences I want to experiment, like no attack spells for Mages outside of cantrips (as I said on another thread, I don't mind wizards going pew pew, but I don't necessarily want them fireballing all over the place). It's also personal because I have zero idea if I'll ever actually run a game using this system. Making it is just a bit of autistic obsession. I'm also making PbtA World of Darkness game at the same time. My brain is weird. It's still far too complicated for most of the OSR-type games I've seen, but it's much more streamlined than regular LU and more importantly (to me), it contains the choices in creating PCs that I rarely see in OSR games.

(Here it is. It's not done and may undergo dramatic changes. Comments are allowed and welcomed.)

But then there's monsters.

Monsters are complicated in D&D, and more so in Level Up, since they have so many more (interesting) traits and actions. And I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to simplify them while still keeping the abilities that make them interesting and without resorting to putting their abilities in the flavor text.

Any thoughts?

Remove ads