Since when was sign in required to view posts?

Elephant

First Post
Darn, and I was just gearing up to flame the folks who were enjoying my discomfort.

(seriously, guys. Would it kill you to have a little empathy?)

frankthedm

First Post
:hmm: The problem is back.

Attachments

• again.PNG
    again.PNG
    29.4 KB · Views: 83

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We're getting an insane amount of spam right now, so I'm locking things down tightly for a few days in the hope it'll help (I had to reduce over 1000 blog entries one at a time yesterday - all spam, posted in the space of an hour or two).

Walking Dad

First Post
Have they not to 'log in' to spam, anyway?

The private setting annoys me a bit, because I usually log out while my subscription page is open, open my subscriptions and log in again. This little trick usually allows me to check my subscriptions without marking them as read. If I cannot post instantly, I don't loose the notification.

Is there somewhere a 'mark as unread' option?

IronWolf

blank
The private setting annoys me a bit, because I usually log out while my subscription page is open, open my subscriptions and log in again. This little trick usually allows me to check my subscriptions without marking them as read. If I cannot post instantly, I don't loose the notification.

Is there somewhere a 'mark as unread' option?

I didn't see an unread option, but I may have overlooked it.

Could you create a new folder named pending or ToDo and then if you read a subscribed thread but don't take action on it you could move it to the ToDo folder. Once you've taken action on it, move it back to the subscribed folder? Takes a couple of clicks, but might help you organize your PbP threads between awaiting action and not awaiting action.

Elephant

First Post
We're getting an insane amount of spam right now, so I'm locking things down tightly for a few days in the hope it'll help (I had to reduce over 1000 blog entries one at a time yesterday - all spam, posted in the space of an hour or two).

O_O

That's a pretty nasty spam problem! Could you implement a simple captcha for posting to help prevent it? Something like "type the answer to 2+2 in the box" -- sure, it's easy to write a script to answer that along with adding spam to other fields, but it stops anything that wasn't customized to attack enworld.org.

... I hesitate to suggest it because answering captchas like that is always an annoying extra step, but if the spam is *that* bad, maybe it's necessary...

wedgeski

Adventurer
captcha's don't annoy me in the slightest as long as the bloody things are readable. When they have a wibbly-wobbly graphic with a mix of upper and lower-case letters in some serif font, and you don't know whether the spaces are critical or not, it just becomes an exercise in frustration.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
captcha's don't annoy me in the slightest as long as the bloody things are readable. When they have a wibbly-wobbly graphic with a mix of upper and lower-case letters in some serif font, and you don't know whether the spaces are critical or not, it just becomes an exercise in frustration.

That's the biggest problem with them. As bots get smarter, the images have to get more and more illegible - until it reaches the point where the system defeats its own purpose by being too difficult for humans.

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
I'm fine with needing to sign in, as I sometimes browse at school, but it's half-blocked by the school tech admin (very easy to get around the block), and I could get in trouble for being on during the day anyway, and at home I stay logged on all the time so its not a problem for me, the only problem I can see with it for EN World is that it might deter new users if they couldn't look at any of the threads and stuff to see if they want to join the site or not.

Remove ads