• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sincere and unbiased.

almeidafreak

Explorer
Awesome info man, thanks a lot! That's something I really wanted to know, if all classes were equally fun to play through all levels!

I'm thinking about importing the books. It'll be much cheaper and worth the buy. I can get the Core book, the Monsters book and the APG for the price of one book here!

ancientvaults

Explorer
almeidafreak:
And if you find that you must have the print books, you can always trade with someone here for the books. Certainly there are books that are in Brazil that are hard to find/expensive to get here.
I run mostly oldschool games, but I sincerely love Pathfinder too. Putting together newer editions take a bit more time, but if I am going to do it, I run with Pathfinder because I like the feel of the game.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Awesome info man, thanks a lot! That's something I really wanted to know, if all classes were equally fun to play through all levels!

I've found that has a lot more to do with the individual player than the rule set. I think the potential is there in PF, certainly.

almeidafreak

Explorer
Sure, but the dead levels and the lack of show off skills to the fighter, for example, were a real mood killer. There you are, swinging your sword while the mage is blasting worlds with a little stick.

I'm almost sure about getting it, just need to wait for my payment ^_^

Dark Mistress

First Post
Pathfinder is basically 3.5 DnD tweaked. They improved a lot of it. They closed the gap some between the power of melee classes and full caster classes. They got rid of dead levels in classes, everyone got more toys. The races are better balanced. Many of the rules like grapple where improved and so on.

So basically if you liked 3.5 DnD then you will likely enjoy Pathfinder more. As others have said the rules are up on their PRD for free so you can try them their. Or you can buy the PFD's of the core rules books, Core rules, Bestiary 1 and 2, Game Masters Guide and Advanced Players Guide are only 10 bucks US each.

I would check out the PRD and see what you think and if it looks like something you might like. Spring for a PDF and try the game. If you then like it, you could look at buying the book when you can.

almeidafreak

Explorer
Well, I got them. It's been a while since I've been bugged but some 4e traits and I wanna try it out. I got the Core Rulebook and the Bestiary.

I'm really hoping to get what I'm looking for, and based on my research, i'm gonna like this!

I shall continue to play 4e, it's a good system and I invested a LOT of money on it. Hopefully, I'll get a lot into Pathfinder and I'll support the game as much as my ridiculous lawier budget allows me.

Thanks y'all for replying (politely and accurately!)!

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

Glad you joined the Pathfinder crowd.

It's an improved version of 3.5. It still has the feel of D&D in terms of the archetypes.

The CMB/CMD mechanics make combats go faster. They don't let things get too out of hand. Though you can build a crazy grapple monster that kicks everyone's behind. But hey, grapplers mostly win in UFC too right?

The arcane casters feel like arcane casters in Pathfinder. They have their non-damage spells that work in combat now. So you can plan magical tactics and feel like the bad to the bone wizard again pulling all sorts of mysterious arcane tricks out of your hat in battle. Makes arcane casters enjoyable to play again. No illusion of power, you have real power as an arcane caster in 3.5 as it should be.

All the other classes received boosts as well. The Paladin feels like the unstoppable destroyer of evil. The fighter feels like a weapon master (though I do think they should get 4 skill points to show their non-combat military training), rangers feel like masters of the outdoors, and barbarians feel like forces of destruction (though the APG is what brought the barbarian in line with the other classes).

Cleric is the cleric. I was hoping for more tweaking. They are the only class that gets nothing at lvl 20 other than a progression of earlier abilities.

Rogue is slightly better. But still the red-headed step child of the classes in terms of combat effectiveness.

Bard is the ultimate support class.

Sorcerers much cooler with bloodlines.

Wizard schools mean something now. Which makes them pretty darn cool. The feel of the wizard staff, ring, or other arcane object gives real power now. It isn't only an affectation, now that item is important to the wizard like Gandalf's staff.

Monsters are tweaked some. Dragons are even more cool now. Demons as well.

Overall, I'm very happy with Pathfinder. An excellent iteration of the 3.5 rules. Probably the best thing I've seen done with the D&D rules in 20 years.

I've haven't enjoyed DMing in ages. Even in 3.0 I didn't want to DM. I'm now DMing the entire Kingmaker adventure path and buying the modules myself. I'm not dreading DMing my weekly game.

Like the rules. Love the adventure paths. The Paizo adventure paths blow anything I've seen from WotC away since they were TSR and did Slavelords, Temple of Elemental Evil, or Against the Giants. They are that good.

It's like a new Golden Age of gaming was launched with Pathfinder. I hope they can keep up the quality.

almeidafreak

Explorer
Thanks a lot for replying! I'm really excited about it too, can't wait for my books to get here (ordered them at bookdepository.com, I hope the post them soon!)!

I've got a question, about the "default" campaign setting (Golarion, right?). Is it not avaiable in print anymore? I searched amazon.com and there are only used ones to sell, at $120.00!

EDIT: nevermind, I got it now. It's this one, right? http://paizo.com/store/games/rolepl...rRPG/paizo/pathfinderChronicles/v5748btpy8dd7

Same thing, but expanded eh. Sweet. How do you guys like it?

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️

Remove ads