• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Single class party?

Allow single class parties?

• Yes

Votes: 79 98.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.3%

J-H

Hero
In 5e, it should be stable and viable. All classes are viable, and most classes can fill most roles.
Wizards can tank.
Fighters can do respectable to excellent ranged damage (a bit weak on AOE).
Rogues can survive relatively well, and a team of all rogues will be all sneak attack all the time.
Bards and Warlocks can do some of anything.
Druids can do just about any role.
Rangers have some nice gish-yness and should be able to do a good job bypassing encounters or engaging on favorable terms.

etc.

I think Cleric would be the most same-y since Clerics have relatively bland domain features and all end up picking from the same spell list.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah I think it would be great. Would even sign up to a themed game built around it.

Unless I didn't like the class the DM chose. Such as all barbarian pass.

All cleric or bard hook me up!!.

Vael

Legend
I've never had it happen, though we nearly did for our current Eberron campaign. I'm playing a Changeling Mystic in a party of three Artificers (Dragonmarked Dwarf Armorer, Warforged Artillerist and Drow Alchemist). Had I had Exploring Eberron and access to the Maverick subclass when we made characters, I probably would have done it.

Oh, and back in 3.5, I once was in a campaign where the DM's main houserule was "no Half-Elf Rangers", because he once had a party show up where each player independently rolled up a Half-Elf Ranger.

The closest I ever had was in 1ed. It was a party with all mages of multiclassed wizard and only one dwarven fighter... That group was a terror to behold as every single fight it was: Fire ball, lightning bolts, Ice Storm, Cone of cold, Magic missile and the Dwarven fighter waiting to see if something had survived... That dwarven fighter had boots of striding and springing and would often be running in the dungeon to bring enemies to the other players. Once the alert was given... well you know the drill.

Shiroiken

Legend
I voted no in part to be contrarian in part because I've tried it and it was a total, complete disaster. Admittedly this was in a previous edition and it would probably work better now, but a party of mages was a walking disaster destined to crash. I don't get TPKs in my home game all that often after I've been DMing the edition for a while and get the hang of encounter balance, but this was the exception.

Basically I couldn't throw much at the party other that the easiest of encounters and eventually their luck ran out. It might be different in 5E, but my one experiment was an unmitigated failure. :)
I think the edition change makes a huge difference. During the playtest, one of our Encounters groups was comprised entirely of wizards. One was an older character who was a teacher, while everyone else was his student (despite the same level, as the position was an academic one). The trick was balancing spell use and cantrip use, because they didn't want to overuse their spells, but they couldn't just hold them all for the presumed BBEG. It wasn't easy for them (they struggled with a few encounters the rest of us dealt with easily), but it was completely possible.

With the full edition it's even easier, since the plethora of sub-classes allow for melee builds as well as blasters and controllers. Pretty much the only issue with a single class party is the lack of magical healing, which really means in-combat healing. Outside of combat, the party can take short rests for HD and consume potions of healing (assuming the DM allows them to be purchased as standard gear).

Remove ads