Single Player Adventure

mattb

First Post
I was going to introduce two new players to D&D Wednesday night. One has been awarded the privledge of baby sitting his daugther :eek: (about a year old, way too active for him to participate while babysitting). I still want to introduce the other player. I need ideas for an adventure to run through. Any ideas?

d12

First Post
I've never found one-on-one games very fun - something about D&D requires 3, maybe 4 people. I'd run him or her through a mock battle just to demonstrate rules and then go do something else....

But don't worry. The next person will think I am wrong and actually answer your question. Good luck with the new group!

justinsluder

First Post
Well, here's my two cents.

I'm currently teaching my little brother to play, and it's just him and I playing. He's a barbarian and I cater to his needs. He's already been kicked out of one group because he made a simple mistake.

The trick to single PC games is, in my opinion, to not overwhelm them.

Any ways, like I said that's my two cents.

Take care,
Justin Sluder

P.S. I'd let them create a character and then just wing it to make it fun for them.

DungeonKeeperUK

First Post
There were at least 2 one-on-one adventures published may moons ago..
Gem & the Staff - Thief goes to get a ... erm .. gem and a staff
Blade of Vengance (I think) - Elfs family gets killed he picks up his sword adn goes for ..... well... vnegance really..

I have on occasion found the need or desire for a bit of solo adventuring adn its usually turned out OK, I think you need to emphasise more on Roleplay and puzzle solving for solo adventures, its alos a lot easier to cater for the players needs from teh game too...

But at the end of the day its still a lot better with a good group of players.. :)

pensiv

Explorer
In my opinion it can be a lot easier to run an adventure for one person . . . if you have a storytelling instinct.

When running a one-on-one I feel that it is best to look at it as telling a story to one person about themself in a foreign environment/situation. First tip to new players, adjust to the world and the rules of the game before trying to adjust to a new personality. Roleplay yourself.

An anecdote:
Just two weeks ago I was writing a one-on-one adventure for The Wheel of Time RPG for me and my girlfriend to run through, but we thought it would be fun to invite a friend who had never roleplayed.
She came over and we sat down, made characters, and played. They both had a great time. When writing the adventure, I had left an in for more that one player, just in case, and the story was geared well for both of my players. They took a personal interest in the story and made me play a second time later that same night (bringing a third girl into the mix who also never roleplayed).

Hopefully, Matt, your game make the same impression on your friends. But I don't think it should be too hard to set up a one-on-one adventure. You'll just have to rely on NPCs a little more to provide push-pull for your players.

Remove ads