Sins of Our Fathers II - New Art Uploaded - 1/25

WizarDru

Adventurer
We just finished our third 4e session, and have been quite happy with the results (though Bruce Cordell's name has been raised once more in anger). A few tweaks may be in order, but so far, so good.

We just finished our third 4e session, and have been quite happy with the results (though Bruce Cordell's name has been raised once more in anger).
I've been known to take Bruce's name in vain now and then. Why, just the other day I ran into a frustrating situation at work and yelled out, "Bruce H. Cordell! Why can't anything work around here?!"

My co-workers looked at me funny.

I don't think they appreciate swearing.

The Axe

First Post
Nudge, nudge; wink, wink...

I've been known to take Bruce's name in vain now and then. Why, just the other day I ran into a frustrating situation at work and yelled out, "Bruce H. Cordell! Why can't anything work around here?!"

My co-workers looked at me funny.

I don't think they appreciate swearing.

(Actually, that would be "using his name in vain"---saying, "By Bruce H. Cordell, ....!" would be swearing.)

(No, I'm not a nitpicky rules lawyer; why do you ask?)

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

I have indeed. We're doing our first 4e, marathon (Thurs-Sun) session in two weeks. We've run a couple 4e "playtests" online, but this is our first opportunity to see the rules in play around the table. I'm uncertain on some things and very much like others, so I guess we'll see how it goes!

What about you?

D

You're giving it a try too eh? A bunch of my friends want to try it. So I'm giving it a shot even though I'm very mixed on the edition. It disempowers wizards, but empowers just about every other class. The cleric is less versatile, but comparatively more powerful as it is more a hybrid healer/warrior/mage type of class. You can focus on whatever aspect of the cleric you like.

I'm playing a dwarf paladin. So far this class/race combo seems powerful. You really feel like a tough, hard to kill holy warrior in 4th edition. The Paladin itself may well be the most durable class in the game if what I think about the mechanics turns out to be true. Since I like paladins, that will make me very happy.

I hope you recall who I am, but if you don't, I understand as we only chatted in email a few times and haven't communicated in ages.

I'm still clicking away on a few novels (including the one that inspired the story I showed you a long time ago) and a few screenplays. Hopefully something will come of it. But all I know for certain is writing a novel or screenplay is no easy feat, much less a good one. I'm about 30,000 plus words into one novel and 22,000 words into another. I need to write at least 80,000 words, probably more for a solid fantasy novel. It's been quite the journey.

I have alot more respect for successful writers. They have put their dues in. I hope to see more of your work make it into print. You are definitely one of the best I've seen on this forum. I hope you are still putting your butt in front of the keyboard and getting some of those ideas batting around in your head onto that blank white word document. I hope you start up a story for a fourth edition campaign.

I'm thinking about it myself, but I'll have to see how my time goes. I never seem to find enough time to keep up a story hour. I write so much as it is that refining a story hour on a weekly or even montly basis is difficult. I may just do a fast and cheap sort of story hour write up of the campaign I'm playing in as a way to see how effective this new edition will be at rendering into story form. That's always been my main concern with any edition of DnD.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
On 4e: I pretty much agree with all you said. Most of my group seems to very much enjoy it, but a couple guys are less certain. One of those "less certain" guys is one who really enjoyed wizards in 3e. Right now I think we're riding a wave of "ready for something new after dealing with mid- to high-level 3e", which helps us be more accepting of 4e. I wonder if we'll still be on board once the novelty of 4e wears off. As a DM, I'll definitively state that 4e provides me much, much more fun with regard to adventure prep. By freeing up some of my time to focus on the story, as opposed to stats, I'm hopeful I'll be able to run a better campaign. Time will tell.

On Story Hours: No doubt they are a tough business! They certainly scared me away. I don't know how some of these folks do it - but I'm very impressed with their dedication.

W.P.

(How does one do that "Fork to new thread" thing? Anyone?)

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Hiya Celt - again, I remember you.

Here's the lineup in my group with respect to 4e, just FYI, since many are folks on these boards.

Hobbit Killer - Likes more than dislikes
WP - Likes more than dislikes
Frostrune - Likes more than dislikes
Moril Karrisbane - Likes more than dislikes

maladrac - Undecided
Apian elite - Undecided

MACLARREN - Dislikes more than likes

MACLARREN, who played Raylin and later Sid (a gnome sorc), has some serious reservations with the arcane spellcasting/rituals (or lack thereof) in 4e.

maladrac, who was played John of Pell and Cleaver, is officially on the fence until he sees 4e in action around the table. Same with Apian, who played Kane.

The other guys are more or less positive.

But I think all of us are taking a "wait and see" approach.

D

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Just as a follow on, I'm not trying to debate the merits and flaws of 4e and I'm well aware of the edition war ban. :) I'm just trying to show that it's received a mixed reception in our group, as perhaps as been the case in many groups. Ask me again in a couple months, and I'll (probably) have a better answer as to what we did. ;)

WizarDru

Adventurer
Just do me a favor: if the guy playing the wizard thinks it's a good idea to drop the flaming sphere in the midst of melee, where the fighter is? SLAP HIM. SLAP HIM HARD. (It. Still. BURNSSSSSSS.)

Also, if you're using the Keep on the Shadowfell...there's a particular encounter that many feel is overly lethal...hence the curses uttered toward Bruce Cordell, since that's par for the course with his material. I'll say no more for fear of spoilers, but if you do some quick searching about the module, you'll easily find who and what I mean.

The thing that makes us the most happy about 4e, so far? The SPEED. Thing that we're least thrilled with? The reduction in number of overall player options.

Ed Gentry

First Post
Just another request to know if this SH is going to pick back up at any time. It's quite wonderful and we'd all love to read more.

Any news on that front?

(How does one do that "Fork to new thread" thing? Anyone?)
[Begin Threadjack]

Click the "Fork to New Thread" button.

It will start a new thread with the default title of "Forked Thead: [name of old thread]" -- though it's recommended that you give it a more useful thread title.

In the first post of the newly started thread will be a link back to the thread from which you forked it (insert obligatory dirty joke). Of course, you can then edit the newly started thread / first post to your heart's content.

Note that to the best of my knowledge, when you fork a thread, that thread will exist in the same forum as the thread from which it was forked. So if you fork off this thread, it'll be in Story Hour.

[/End Threadjack]

Remove ads