Site layout with ads turned off

Elephant

First Post
Rumor has it that the new site codebase will allow community supporters to turn off the ads. Will this also collapse the right-hand-side ad column? I'm finding its presence to be incredibly annoying.

For that matter, is the ad-disabling feature enabled yet? If not, when will it be available?

Michael Morris

First Post
Working now - time will tell if this is a permanent feature of the news and articles pages. The plan is for these to cache and be readable without recourse to the database at all - but for that to work everything on the page must be cachable and options that toggle based on your login status aren't cachable. Then again, the server has sped up since the last recode that this may not be necessary.

So provided you are a full community supporter (that is, you bought the complete feature package) you can now turn off the header or column ads individually.

To do this use this page

Elephant

First Post
Thanks for the quick reply :D

I have a followup question. Will there be a CS account option for disabling ads without the other features? I don't really care about a custom usertitle, search access, etc, only about the ad column.

cougent

First Post
That is a very cool feature, and one I might switch to yes whenever I am on my old laptop with the 1024 x 768 max res...

But strangely enough ENW is one of very few sites that the ads have never bothered me and I actually have followed several to some interesting places, so even available I will be leaving them visible while on my desktop. It is 1600 x 1200 so that probably helps.

Remove ads