Site return kick-off: random things you want to see in a game

Consider this a super brainstorm thread. Just post stuff you'd like to see in a game. It could be a story element, a rule, a character, a setting, or a joke.

I want to see a spider dragon hybrid. I don't recall ever seeing any art for this horrible monster. Okay, there was the 'blackspawn stalker' back in 3rd ed, but it was too chunky. I want one of those horrifying lanky spiders.

98713.jpg

I want someone to find a way to map a clockwork dungeon, where the terrain moves during combat.

I'd like an explanation for how there is a warforged vampire as one of the sample characters in the 4th edition character builder.

attachment.php

I want an adventure where the party is challenged to make something, rather than just kill monsters.

What do you want to see in a game - yours or someone else's?

Attachments

• Wrath.jpg
    Wrath.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

Razjah

Explorer
This is a really great idea.

I want a game that makes the camaraderie of Lord of the Rings and the Black Company important. Where morale helps keep the characters going.

I want to see the characters in a campaign trade stories around a camp fire.

I want a Shadow of the Colossus style fights, climbing atop a creature as large as a hill and fighting there. The large creature may not even be the fight at one point- the party could be distracted by the lice like things from Cloverfield falling from the monster.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I want to fight inside some kind of titanic monster.
floating through in blood vessels, fighting in the major organs, for some objective other than the death of the host creature.

--
Fighting hordes of devil/demons in massive waves (as described in the Gord the rogue series) -
this one I actually managed: I sent 99 lemure, 12 spined devils and a few leaders/champion devils. All in 3.5 I would be so much easier in 4e, (minions and mobs) but I haven't repeated it, as it took much of the campaign to set up.

William Ronald

Explorer
Consider this a super brainstorm thread. Just post stuff you'd like to see in a game. It could be a story element, a rule, a character, a setting, or a joke.

I want to see a spider dragon hybrid. I don't recall ever seeing any art for this horrible monster. Okay, there was the 'blackspawn stalker' back in 3rd ed, but it was too chunky. I want one of those horrifying lanky spiders.

98713.jpg

I want someone to find a way to map a clockwork dungeon, where the terrain moves during combat.

I'd like an explanation for how there is a warforged vampire as one of the sample characters in the 4th edition character builder.

attachment.php

I want an adventure where the party is challenged to make something, rather than just kill monsters.

What do you want to see in a game - yours or someone else's?

I seem to recall that the dramojh in Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Arcana Evolved that the dramojh, a race that combined aspects of demons and dragons, created the slassan a race that looked like a combination of snakes and spiders.

Janx

Hero
I'd like to see Heroic Death Scene where the PC sacrifices himself for the good of the party.

Ala LotR with Gandalf vs. the Balrog (though Gandalf got better and leveled up)
Boromir vs. the Urukai chief (though Merry and Pippin got taken).

I guess these are bad examples, but they were cool scenes. That tends to be hard to setup/convey in a normal D&D game.

A return to imagination over mass market print material and movie references.
Movement and encumbrance rules that enhance, not encumber the movement of the game. :)
A return to simplicity, where the number of rules aren't as important as the quality of the rules (not that this has ever happened, but here's hoping)
A new more effective method of training DMs how to run, administer and adjudicate games without sacrificing a central story arch but not give in to the old railroad.
The addition of the MALT - Magical Armaments Limitation Treaty... Because it should be skill and luck, not items that make your character great.
The option of the everyman to hero campaign of old, instead of the superhero to demigod progression that seems to be the norm now.
Free beer for the DMs.

GhostBear

Explorer
A kobold mafia boss that has the entire city under his cute little thumb.

Also, I second [MENTION=34175]Thunderfoot[/MENTION]'s MALT initiative.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth

There was a spider dragon in the 2nd Ed. AD&D Dragonlance module "Wild Elves" by Scott Bennie. Unfortunately I couldn't find a picture of it online.

Razjah

Explorer
I would love to see games move away from the killings. Combat should have a goal such as defending someone/something, a running fight to escape (Mines of Moria but with a little more skirmishing on the run), and other objectives.

I also want to see more games move away from the super high powered PCs. In fantasy, and science fiction, literature the protagonists are rarely superhuman. They struggle to accomplish their goals, and they are opposed by other normal people. Games like E6, Burning Wheel, and Savage Worlds do great work to accomplish this, but I think more need to move towards this.

The MALT would be amazing in main stream games. Paizo, WotC, and others are seemingly obsessed with the Wealth by Level stuff. I want to move away from +N anything. A mace that can summon lightning is cool, a mace with +3 to hit and damage is lame. Armor that allows the wearer to teleport or transform into an animal would be awesome, I don't really care about armor that protects +N better.

Remove ads