• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Six Characters in Search of a Plot [concluded 2/7/04 - character stats added 2/16/04]

Delemental

First Post
Hello, and welcome to this, my first attempt at a Story Hour!

A bit of background, I think, to set the scene:

This Story Hour is set in the Forgotten Realms, in the year 1372. The story itself picks up several months after the beginning of the campaign, so there are some unchronicled events. Why, you ask? Well, this campaign started with almost an entirely different set of players. But through various circumstances, all but two of them left. So, a new group of players was recruited, and we picked up from there. As it turned out, this group had provided a far more interesting set of characters, enough to inspire me to begin writing down our adventures. So at the point where we begin, this group has pretty much just met; we were in the beginning parts of the City of the Spider Queen adventure, but we ended that adventure early and took another route. So up to this point the only thing these characters have done together is finish killing off all the vampiric drow nobles in Szith Morcane. (The last part blacked out to avoid giving spoilers to those who haven't run CotSQ). After that, the party has gone to the city of Suzail in Cormyr to take care of some business and determine what course to set next.

As we begin, the party averages between levels 10-14. The characters are:

Alia, female human rogue 7/thief-acrobat 3
Tantu, male human cleric 12 (Tyr)
Ehput-Ki, male aasimar paladin 9 (Horus-Re)
Kiy, male wild elf fighter 6/order of the bow initiate 4
Myoo, male aasimar sorcerer 6/mindbender 3
Niles, male rock gnome illusionist 14

As to the story itself. I've tried to be as accurate as I can to actual game play, with a little 'editorial license' taken. What that means is that the events and action are pretty much dead on, and most of the things said by characters were actually said at the table, but when writing it up I've tried to make it flow more like a story; sometimes slightly modifying dialogue to sound better yet still capture the essence of the interaction. I've also encouraged the other players to write their own 'cut-scenes'; little personal vignettes to insert into the story.

Last edited:

Delemental

First Post
Obelisk in the Woods

The city of Suzail was abuzz with activity. Citizens of all manner went about their business as usual, but there was an air of anticipation in the streets and alleys of Cormyr’s capital. Greengrass Festival was only a few days away, and the preparations were getting underway as city workers moved through the streets cleaning up refuse and hanging banners. In the midst of the city, at a small inn called the Boar and Griffon, a small group of out-of-town guests were making preparations of their own.

“I’ve spoken with the caravan master this morning,” said a large, bald man in loose, flowing clothing, who sat at a table with three others. “He is still on schedule to leave on the 30th. With luck and good weather, he says we’ll reach Waterdeep by late summer.”

The large man leaned back slightly. His features were dark, and his heavily accented Common speech gave witness to his Mulhorandi heritage. Yet his eyes shone with a golden light, At his waist hung a strange sword, almost a cross between a normal blade and a sickle. Hanging from his neck was an ankh.

Across the table, a middle-aged, cheerful gnome wearing bright clothing looked up from his ale. “The 30th, is it, Ehput-Ki? That gives us only six more days. Is the work you’re having done going to be ready by then?”

“My armor should be finished by daybreak tomorrow, Niles. There will be no delay.”

“I still fail to see,” said another of the four gathered at the table, “why we are in such a hurry to be off to Waterdeep. There is much I could learn here.” The man who spoke was bald like Ehput-Ki, though much smaller in stature, and paler. Both he and the Mulhorandi shared a similar noble bearing, but while Ehput-Ki seemed to hold it with a certain comfort, the other appeared to be doing his best to hide his almost otherworldly appearance. He straightened out a fold in his pale, bone-colored robes as he waited for an answer.

“There are many places to see in Faerun, Myoo,” replied Ehput-Ki. “And I would like to see as many of them as I can. Kiy, here, has also expressed an interest in seeing the City of Splendors. Is that not so, Kiy?”

Ehput-Ki nodded toward their fourth companion, a wild elf who was busying himself adding fletching to an arrow. He nodded his head without looking up. Vines of ivy-like growth that grew around his body rustled with the slight movement.

“Hardly an enthusiastic endorsement,” Myoo sighed, “but then again, in the brief time I’ve known the elf I’ve perhaps heard him speak five words.”

“Well,” ventured Niles, “I know I have a few items of unfinished business we could look into in that area. And I think Alia’s eager to get out of the Heartlands herself.”

“Yes, and where exactly is our agile companion?” Myoo asked, as a sardonic smile spread across his face. “As if I had to ask, seeing as how our Tyrian priest is also absent.” The gnome giggled slightly at the comment, which seemed odd since Myoo’s comment had not been that humorous.

“Perhaps you should ask, instead of just guessing,” said a feminine voice behind them. Two figures came and sat at empty chairs around the table. The woman was young, with long red hair cascading across her shoulders and down her back. She wore dark clothing that, while not exactly skin-tight, was close enough that the curves of her form were easily noticed. A man who had red hair similar to hers, but much darker skin, accompanied her. He was clad in fine chain mail, and the hammer and scale symbol of Tyr rested around his neck.

“Sorry we’re late,” said the man, “we were at the library, reading poetry.”

“Poetry, Tantu?” echoed Myoo to the young priest. “Was it the kind that are in the books they won’t let young children read?”

Alia’s eyes narrowed slightly at the comment, but she said nothing. Instead, she turned to Niles. “So, what’s the story?”

“We leave on the 30th,” he replied.

“Damn! That means we miss Greengrass by one day!”

“I think that’s the point,” said Ehput-Ki. “The caravan masters wish to get out of the city before the festival, so that their workers are not caught up in the celebration. As I understand it, a few of them tend to go missing after festivals.”

“So there’s no way we can leave later?” Alia asked.

Ehput-Ki shook his head. “The next caravan bound for Waterdeep won’t leave until early summer. And it’s unwise to travel without the safety of numbers.”

“And if we don’t leave with the caravan, we won’t get paid,” added Niles.

Alia sighed. “All right, fine. But we’d better make an effort to be in a town somewhere for Midsummer, and I’ll be damned if we miss Shieldmeet.”

Myoo rolled his eyes, not caring if Alia saw him or not. The girl’s endless pursuit of ‘fun’ was wearing thin. “So, did the two of you manage to waste the entire morning with your poems?”

“No,” said Tantu firmly, “we also spent some time talking to a few men who’ve just come from Waterdeep.”

“Any news?” asked Niles.

Alia shrugged. “The usual. Red Wizards plotting, the end of the Realms is nigh, the things you usually hear. Something about a new line of shops opening up along the Sword Coast. The only interesting thing I heard had nothing to do with Waterdeep; it was a local rumor.”

“Go on,” said Ehput-Ki.

“Well, it seems there’s tales floating around that some sort of obelisk has popped up in the King’s Forest. They say that people in the area have been disappearing. There was a group sent out to investigate, but none of them returned. That was yesterday.”

“What kind of obelisk?” asked Niles.

“Nobody knew for sure,” replied Tantu. “The tales say it lies on the edge of the wood, about five hours outside the city.”

“Likely another old wives’ tale,” scoffed Myoo.

“Well, it seems to have some people nervous, that’s for sure,” replied Alia.

Ehput-Ki lowered his head in thought. “Should we investigate?”

“Why?” Myoo asked. “Let the locals deal with it. May I remind you that you’re all gung-ho to leave in six days?”

“It’s only a few hours outside town, Myoo. But perhaps you’re right. Jumping headfirst into this without checking the facts seems ill advised. Let’s see if we can confirm any of these stories of people disappearing before we go further. Let’s meet back here at sunset.” Ehput-Ki rose and made his way to the door, followed by Niles a few minutes later.

“Who said the Mulhorandi paladin was in charge?” asked Myoo to no one in particular.

“No one,” said Alia, “he just said what we were all thinking. Well,” she added, looking directly at the sorcerer, “maybe not all of us.”

* * *​

Lamplight illuminated six faces that evening, gathered around a table much like the one they’d shared earlier that day. They each shared what they’d learned through the course of the day. Tantu sighed and leaned forward, resting his arms on the table.

“So there have been a handful of disappearances,” he said, “all with one thing in common; they were last seen heading for the King’s Forest.”

“And we have a local adventuring group going out yesterday to investigate strange rumors from the woods, that has not returned.” Niles also leaned forward, his elbows supporting his weight as he clasped his hands in front of him. For a moment, he looked as if he were in prayer. “It seems that Alia’s rumors have some substance to them.”

“Well, then,” piped in Myoo, “perhaps we should bring this to the attention of the local authorities. I’m certain the Purple Dragons could plan some sort of excursion to investigate…” he trailed off as his eyes caught those of the paladin, who sat stoically regarding the rest of the group. “Oh, no,” Myoo groaned. “You didn’t.”

“The old woman was looking for her daughter,” replied Ehput-Ki. “She’d gone to the forest two days ago to gather mushrooms. Her daughter is her only source of income. She asked me to help find her daughter.”

“Typical.”

“I have only promised that I would aid her,” said Ehput-Ki. “None of the rest of you are obligated.”

“But you could need help,” said Alia. “And four eyes will search faster than two.”

“Make that six eyes,” added Tantu.

“Eight,” chimed in Niles.

Kiy’s head turned toward Ehput-Ki slightly. “Ten,” he said quietly.

Their gazes all fell on Myoo. The sorcerer grimaced as he drained his wineglass, then looked around.

“Very well,” he said. “Perhaps there will be something interesting about this obelisk worth my attention.”

* * *​

They set out early the next morning, riding northwest toward the King’s Forest, stopping only long enough for Ehput-Ki to obtain his new armor from the armorer’s shop. Fewer came this way than in years past, with rumors of goblinoids hiding in the woods rampant among the cityfolk. But the edges of the wood closest to Suzail were still considered safe enough, and attracted those looking to gather a few wild plants or catch some small game. Though they arrived at the forest’s edge before noon, it was almost sunset before they managed to find their objective.

They approached the obelisk carefully. Standing twice as tall as a human, the rectangular slab was made of a rough grayish-black stone. Near the top of the stone were carved letters.

“Can anyone read those markings?” asked Ehput-Ki, looking up at the slab.

Alia squinted at the writing. “No,” she replied, “but I think it’s magical writing.”

“Allow me,” said Myoo, stepping up before the obelisk. A few words of arcane power slipped from his lips, and his already golden-hued eyes began to sparkle. Glancing up at the carvings, he frowned.

“It’s written in a strange syntax,” he commented, more to himself than anyone else. “But it’s not an incantation or ward. It’s just a message. ‘By the… time… you finish this… you will be… completely… surroun…”

“Drop your weapons!”

The six companions whirled around, weapons drawn, as in a large circle around them several figures stepped out of hiding. There were at least fifteen of them, mostly human, armed with a variety of weapons. They were a motley assortment of men and women; some wearing armor, others dressed in normal clothing.

“Stupid,” Alia muttered to herself, as she put her back to the obelisk. “Stupid, amateur mistake…”

Last edited:

Delemental

First Post
One of the men surrounding them stepped forward slightly. He was one of the ones in armor, and a large battle-axe swung easily by his side. “Drop your weapons and surrender!” he repeated.

Ehput-Ki strode forward toward the speaker, who seemed to be in charge. “Who are you?” he demanded.

“Drop your weapons!” the leader repeated.

“Who are you?”

“Drop your weapons first!”

Ehput-Ki’s eyes narrowed. “My grasp on my blade does not prevent you from answering my question. I would know who you are and what you wish of us.”

“I think the first answer would be ‘bandits’,” quipped Alia, “and the second answer would be ‘all your worldly possessions’.”

The leader grinned, indicating that Alia’s guesses were correct.

“A ruse,” said Myoo quietly to himself, “A ploy to lure individuals such as ourselves here where we would be easy prey.” He half-smiled as he considered it. “So utterly simplistic, yet effective for its very lack of complexity. A more devious ploy would have aroused suspicion. I shall have to remember that.”

“Banditry is against the law, and unjust!” shouted Tantu.

The bandit leader laughed. “And what are you going to do about it, Tyrian?”

“This.”

Tantu raised his arms suddenly, but all around him there was movement. One of the bandits let up a cry – “Casters!” – even as Niles suddenly vanished without a trace, and two bandits fell with Kiy’s arrows protruding from their necks. Alia sprang forward to engage a tough-looking woman wielding two swords, while Ehput-Ki and the bandit leader charged toward each other. Tantu, swearing, lowered his arms and drew his sword. He’d planned to summon a whirling storm of Tyr’s holy blades, which would have cut down a great number of their enemies in one moment. But now his companions were mingled in with the bandits, making the spell too dangerous to cast.

A bandit charged toward Myoo, who regarded him calmly. When his foe approached within a few feet, Myoo stared at him and said calmly, “Wouldn’t you rather defend me from my enemies?”

The bandit stopped, blinking, then suddenly nodded and turned, laying into one of his former companions with his dagger. At the same time, a small shape emerged from Myoo’s cloak and began circling around his head. It looked like a very small beholder, with four eyestalks swiveling atop its leathery skull. It swooped back and forth, attacking nearby bandits with an energy ray shot from its central eye.

Ehput-Ki’s curved blade crossed with the axe of the bandit leader. They traded blows back and forth, seemingly equally matched. Suddenly, the bandit leader’s eyes glazed over, and he began to chuckle, then laugh. A moment later, he was rolling on the ground, screeching with laughter. Ehput-Ki paused for only a moment at this strange sight, then procured a length of rope from his pack and proceeded to bind the bandit firmly. Two more of his companions rushed up just as he finished, and Ehput-Ki turned to deal with them.

Nearby, Alia whirled and tumbled around her opponents. Two others had joined the swordswoman, and they pressed their attack on the rogue. She avoided most of their blows, but she bled from a few minor cuts. Alia quickly discovered, however, that the other two bandits were extremely poor fighters, and thus focused on the woman with two swords. As they danced back and forth, the woman’s attention was drawn by Tantu rushing up behind her, which gave Alia the opening she needed. She whipped around with her metal baton, catching the woman in the upper arm. Bone crunched, and the shoulder slid well out of its socket.

“I’m doing just fine,” said Alia, dropping back to avoid a counter-swing.

“I know,” replied Tantu, who brought his blade around and impaled one of the other bandits, a young woman with a small knife.

“Go see if anyone else needs help,” Alia snapped. “I’ll be along shortly.”

Tantu turned and scanned the battlefield. Kiy stood with his back to the obelisk, drawing his bow and firing steadily. Half a dozen bandits lay dead in a semi-circle around him. Next to him, Myoo stood calmly, protected by a bandit. Tantu saw another bandit approach, and then suddenly turn to defend the sorcerer as well. A triumphant cry of “His soul is mine!” echoed in their heads; though disconcerting at times, they’d become somewhat accustomed to the fact that Myoo could communicate telepathically over short distances. Niles, of course, was nowhere to be seen. Ehput-Ki was holding against three bandits, while at his feet the leader struggled with his bonds. Tantu saw movement in the forest beyond the clearing, and began to step forward to meet these new foes. But he stopped short once he was able to make out their forms; a pair of gaunt, purple-skinned humanoids with squid-like heads.

“Flayers!” shouted Tantu.

But his shouts drew less attention that the figure that emerged from the other side of the clearing. Towering over all the combatants, a minotaur wearing a steel breastplate and swinging a huge flail charged in, nearly knocking Ehput-Ki off his feet. At the same time, one of the illithids pounced, latching onto the paladin’s skull with a pair of tentacles, trying to draw him in. The other remained a short distance away.

Kiy turned his longbow toward the second illithid, firing arrows at it, but some form of mystical barrier blocked his shots. Myoo attempted to dominate the mind flayer, but it easily shrugged off his spells, burbling with alien laughter. A greenish ray shot out from empty space, but went wide, causing a mighty aspen tree behind the illithid to dissolve into nothingness.

Behind Tantu, Alia decided she’d had enough of her opponent. She made a lightning fast feint toward the swordswoman’s knees, causing her to bring her blades down in defense. At the same moment, Alia leapt straight into the air, her jump boosted with magical power and years of training. Grasping her baton in both hands, Alia paused for a split-second before tucking into a forward somersault in mid-air, utilizing the momentum of her spin to come down hard on her opponent’s skull. Twitching, she went down.

Ehput-Ki was sorely pressed. He tried to defend himself from the minotaur’s attacks, but it was difficult with an illithid attached to his skull. As Tantu watched, a third tentacle latched on. Tantu saw Ehput-Ki call upon his holy power to heal himself, but he knew the paladin would not last much longer.

Tantu began to stride forward toward the battle. “Great Tyr, I call upon you!” he shouted. “Send me your power to smite this foe and restore balance to this battle!”

Fearlessly striding into the melee, Tantu reached out with a gauntleted hand, and smote the minotaur with a hand blazing with divine power. High above them, the clouds seemed to part slightly, and descending from them came a glittering swarm of translucent shards, hundreds of copies of Tyr’s holy blade forged from magical power. The stream cascaded down through the minotaur’s body into the earth, cutting away a portion of his life-force with each blade that passed through him. As the tide of Tyr’s justice subsided, the minotaur was left reeling, barely able to stand.

With the minotaur weakened, Ehput-Ki was finally able to deal with his other foe. Whipping around, he cut deeply into the illithid’s tentacles, forcing the creature to release its grasp. At the same time, Alia sprang forward, having dispatched her final opponent, and jammed the end of her baton into the mind flayer’s beak. Across the battlefield, a cheer was heard emanating from empty space as the second illithid finally fell, battered down by the spells of Myoo and Niles. Kiy turned to survey the battlefield, and casually placed an arrow into the minotaur’s throat, felling the creature.

At the beast crashed to earth, the bandit leader rose to his feet, free of his bonds – and was cut down mercilessly by Ehput-Ki and Tantu. Alia finished off the last illithid, while behind them Myoo let out a cry of protest as Kiy shot one of his two dominated foes, killing them.

“What are you doing?” he shouted.

“They are bandits,” he replied. “I’m killing my enemies.”

“They were under my control!”

“I had no way to know this.”

“But I told you! Didn’t you hear me saying ‘his soul is mine’? Didn’t you see he wasn’t attacking me?”

Kiy frowned. “In the heat of battle, I was only able to see that they were aggressors, not whom they were or were not attacking. And the phrase ‘his soul is mine’ is not the same as ‘I have dominated the bandits who stand before me. Please do not attack them.’ Please be more specific next time.”

Myoo’s eyes narrowed. “You expect me to say all that in the middle of combat?”

Kiy glanced down at the slain bandit at Myoo’s feet. “I expect you to find a way to communicate more effectively, otherwise I promise there will be more misunderstandings like this one. And one of your captured bandits is still alive.”

“You two, knock it off,” said Ehput-Ki sharply, who was crouched down staring at one of the bandit corpses while Tantu healed his wounds. “We have a problem.”

The heroes gathered around the fallen body, that of a young girl. “This girl matches the description the old woman gave me of her daughter,” he said gravely.

* * *​

Later that evening, five figures sat around a small campfire. Ehput-Ki had returned to Suzail after the battle to report their findings to the Purple Dragons and to have someone send wagons to collect the bodies. He also felt it was his duty to find the old woman who had asked for his aid and bear the sad news in person.

The rest of them had searched the area, but found no sign of any other illithids or their “bandit” thralls. The obelisk was found to be hollow, and when toppled revealed a hidden passage underground. They’d decided to wait until morning to explore this cavern, when they were at full strength. Interrogation of the bandit that Myoo had “captured” revealed their suspicions were correct; he could remember only coming to the woods to check his rabbit traps, when he came upon a strange obelisk in the middle of a clearing. Then next thing he knew, he was sitting down on the ground in front of the party. After confirming he was no further threat, Myoo sent him home.

“Do you think Ehput-Ki’s gonna be okay?” asked Niles. “I mean, okay with…” he pointed upward toward the night sky above them.

“I’m not sure,” answered Tantu. “I don’t know much about Horus-Re. But I believe so. These people,” he nodded his head toward a spot several yards away, where the bodies had been laid out as well as possible, “were presenting themselves as a threat. Ehput-Ki only attacked those he could identify as trained combatants. And the deception was good enough that we didn’t think to suspect they were anything more than bandits.”

“Yes, it was rather clever of the illithids,” said Myoo, with a trace of admiration in his voice.

“Anyway,” Tantu said, slightly annoyed, “if I were in his shoes, I’d say Ehput-Ki will probably hold vigil tonight over the bodies when he returns.”

“Speaking of which,” Alia cut in, “we need to set watches. We’ll set up in a perimeter around the clearing, with two on each watch directly across from each other. Since Tantu and I can’t see in the dark, we shouldn’t be on watch together. First watch will be Niles and me. Second will be Kiy and Ehput-Ki, since he should be back by then and apparently will be up all night anyway. Last watch is Tantu and Myoo.”

The evening passed without incident. Ehput-Ki returned in the middle of the night as expected, and after serving his watch went to stand vigil over the bodies of the fallen. In the morning, a contingent of Purple Dragon guards arrived with two empty wagons, and loaded the bodies up to take back to Suzail.

The group descended into the cavern, dropping down into a natural stone chamber. Alia and Kiy took the lead, scouting for potential dangers. After coming across a large room obviously used as a barracks, they crossed through a narrow hallway lined with weapon racks. About a half-dozen weapons of various sorts rested on the racks.

“They look well made,” commented Alia as the rest of the group caught up with them.

“Any of them magical?” asked Tantu.

“Unlikely,” said Myoo. “However…” he spoke a few arcane phrases, and concentrated for a moment. He seemed slightly surprised. “They are magical,” he said. “All of them. Some of them have quite potent enchantments.”

“Interesting,” said Alia. “But let’s keep moving.”

Soon the party had explored the entire cavern, and found it to be empty save for the weapon racks. However, in the corner of one chamber, the floor sloped downward to a pool of water.

“How far back do you think it goes?” asked Niles. “Can mind flayers breathe water?”

“I’m not sure,” replied Alia, “but I don’t think so.” She began pulling her pack off her back, and tying back her long hair.

“What are you doing?” asked Tantu.

“Well, only one way to find out if it goes anywhere, right?” She pulled two empty water skins from her pack, and inflated them before capping them off. Then she tied a rope around her waist. “Last time I checked, I could hold my breath for a count of two hundred. These air bags should extend that, but I’ll stick to a hundred-count out before I start back. I’ll pull once on the rope to let you know I’m coming back safely, and two pulls means get me the hell out of there.” She picked up a couple of loose pebbles. “Can I get some light, guys?”

Both Myoo and Ehput-Ki stepped forward, touching the stones as they called upon their celestial blood to infuse them with power. Myoo also uttered a few arcane syllables and touched Alia. “You’ll be able to move along the stone walls more quickly if needed,” he said. “Your hands and feet will adhere to any solid surface.”

“Great,” said Alia.

As Alia prepared, Kiy slipped away wordlessly, returning a moment later with a trident that had been mounted on the weapon racks. “Here,” he said to Alia, handing her the trident. “This will serve you better underwater than your baton.”

With the trident in her hand, Alia descended into the dark water. Soon the light from her two stones faded from view. Everyone waited, counting silently to themselves. Tantu and Niles exchanged worried glances when the count reached one-fifty with no sign. At one-seventy four, however, Ehput-Ki felt a single pull on the rope. Moments later, Alia emerged, dripping wet but with a smile on her face. Tantu tried not to stare as Alia’s black suit clung to her skin.

“The chamber goes on for quite a while, and doesn’t seem to go anywhere,” she said. “But on the way back I saw an opening in the ceiling. There’s a whole stash hidden up there; chests, barrels, and crates. It’s within a fifty count; I wedged one of my light-stones into the opening to mark it.”

A few minutes later the party was gathered in the small chamber, examining the ill-gotten goods.

“There’s no way this all came from those townsfolk at the obelisk,” said Niles.

“This could be treasure taken from others over many months, even years,” Ehput-Ki mused. “Who knows how long the illithids we slew had played this game, and in how many locations?”

It took a few hours to remove the various chests and boxes from the underwater alcove to the surface, and then sort through it for the choice goods. On the way back to the city, Niles suddenly groaned.

“There’s no way we can get all of this identified and sold before we have to leave,” he said.

“Can’t we just take it with us?” asked Ehput-Ki.

Alia shook her head. “Three months hauling this stuff around? With a bunch of snooping caravan guards and greedy merchants? Might as well have just left it in the cave.”

“Well, I don’t see what choices we have,” said Niles.

“Why not?” asked Alia. “I mean, I’d like to think that we’re a somewhat competent, if disorganized group of adventurers with a variety of skills. We don’t have anything we could use?”

After a moment of contemplation, Tantu spoke. “Well, my god has given me knowledge of an invocation that transforms people into a magical mist that can be moved at high speed by Tyr’s breath. I believe I have the strength now to affect all of us with this ritual, including our mounts.”

Alia blinked. “Exactly how fast are we talking?”

“How far is it to Waterdeep?” he asked.

“By road, about sixteen hundred miles,” said Niles. “Twelve hundred as the wyrm flies.”

Tantu did some quick calculations. “Barring any delays or interruptions, about three days. Two if we press it.”

The rest of the party stared at him in silence, until Myoo spoke.

“It might have been handy to know that earlier,” he said quietly.

E-Solution

First Post
I like it alot. The way the physical description of an inflict spell was handeled was really good, and I the interaction is excellent. I look foward to further developments.

Lela

First Post
It's early yet, but I can see why you found these characters to be so interesting. How comes future sessions/updates?

Delemental

First Post
E-Solution said:
I like it alot. The way the physical description of an inflict spell was handeled was really good, and I the interaction is excellent. I look foward to further developments.

Thanks. I'm hoping to include visual effects for spells that aren't usually given clear descriptions (like the ever-present fireball. The casting of this spell (which was harm, by the by) was actually a fun event in the combat. This was a fiendish minotaur, and probably would have wiped the floor with us. Tantu's player had been talking for the past week or two about how excited she was to get sixth-level spells so that she could use blade barrier. She talked so much about that spell, in fact, that I think our DM didn't think about certain other sixth-level clerical spells. Tantu reminded him quite well. :)

Lela said:
It's early yet, but I can see why you found these characters to be so interesting. How comes future sessions/updates?

Yeah, the original group had much more of a "kill things and take their stuff" mentality, which is why I wasn't that inspired by them. These characters have personalities and potential. As you'll see as things go on, we're still working on the transition from hack-n-slash to story-based.

As far as updates go, I'm actually about six sessions behind (the first two parts comprise one session). I did this on purpose so that I'd have a buffer zone after the game happens so that I can write it up and polish it a bit. I also like to give my gaming group first crack, so they can make comments or changes about their characters, or insert parts if they want.

But enough of this. It's an update you want, and thus it's an update you'll receive!

Delemental

First Post
This installment's probably a bit longer than it should be for a single post, but I couldn't decide on a good breaking point.

Shadows in the Mountains, Part One

The group materialized in the woods just a few hours outside Waterdeep. They inhaled in unison, a reflexive reaction to the relatively sudden return of their weight and mass after hours of travel in mist-like forms. Stopping only long enough to get their bearings and make sure nothing was missing, the party soon began to walk north to the City of Splendors.

The road to Waterdeep’s southern gate was jammed with travelers, both merchants and residents of the outlying farmsteads hoping to get into the city for tomorrow’s Greengrass Festival celebrations. Wagons rolled along side by side, a few of the more ambitious merchants attempting to sell their wares to passers-by while still moving. Eventually, the walls of Waterdeep loomed over their heads.

“Good afternoon, and well met, travelers,” said a portly gate guard, in a tone that suggested despite having said the same thing over and over again for hours, deep down he really meant it. “Business in the city?”

The party looked at each other with uncertainty. Though they assumed that they would easily find something worthy of their attention here, none of them had come with any specific plans. “Well,” offered Niles to the guard, “we’re here for the festival, of course, and…”

“And mostly we just want to exchange all our burdensome coin for some of your city’s fine wares,” piped in Alia.

The guard’s face brightened. “Welcome to Waterdeep!” he said. “Inns are getting full, but you should still be able to find a decent spot if you don’t dally. But I’d stay away from the Dock Ward if I were you.”

“Why is that?” asked Ehput-Ki.

“There’s a war going on right now,” he said somberly, glancing about as if telling a great secret. “A thieves’ war. A few of the smaller guilds are making moves for new territory. The Dock’s never been a real cheery place, let me tell you, but right now it’s downright nasty. Shame, what with it being Greengrass and all.”

“Thank you for your advice,” said Ehput-Ki, as the group moved through the gate down a wide street.

There are few who come to Waterdeep for the first time that aren’t awed by the size and grandeur of the City of Splendors. Even Niles, who had been here before, couldn’t help but glance to and fro at the frenzy of activity, color, and sound surrounding them. Glancing about, he spotted a small wooden sign down a side street.

“Hey!” he shouted, grabbing onto Kiy’s leg and pointing with his other hand. “It’s the Wailing Boar! That’s the inn where I met my old adventuring companions, back when we took on those Red Wizards! Tantu, you remember some of them, right? Xerimus, and Evyn, and Sashelas?”

Tantu nodded his head. He’d met Niles and his companions far to the north, in the ruins of an old castle hidden in the Spine of the World Mountains. He’d gone there, following strange visions he’d been sent by Tyr, but was captured and imprisoned far below the castle. He remembered hearing the sounds of a mighty battle above him, and a few days later he’d been found.

“Do you suppose they’d have rooms?” asked Alia. “Seems as good a place as any to start.”

Fortune was with them; the Wailing Boar still had rooms available. After handing over enough gold to pay for a full tenday, the party gathered in one of their rented room to discuss their plans.

“Tantu, Ehput-Ki and I can handle selling off the stuff we found in that mind flayer hideout,” said Alia. “Most of the shops will be open late tonight since they’ll be closed for Greengrass. Hopefully we can get some good prices.”

“I’d also like to visit Tyr’s temple in the city,” said Tantu.

“And I understand that Horus-Re has a small temple here as well,” stated Ehput-Ki.

“Sure, sure, no problem. After the shops, of course.” Alia looked around the group. “So, is anybody looking for anything?”

“Niles and I are planning on finding the local mage’s guild,” said Myoo. “However, should you run across an item called a Hand of Glory at a reasonable price, please purchase it for me.”

Alia winced slightly. “That’s one of those mummified hands you wear around your neck, isn’t it?”

Myoo nodded.

“Whatever makes you happy,” she shrugged. “Kiy?”

The wild elf, who was looking somewhat uncomfortable in the windowless room, nodded vaguely toward the door. “I wish to explore the city,” he said. “I wish to experience it.”

“By yourself?” asked Ehput-Ki. “Is that wise?”

Something happened on Kiy’s face that might have almost been a smile. “I will be fine,” he replied.

* * *​

Alia, Tantu, and Ehput-Ki spend most of the remaining day going from shop to shop, bargaining with their recovered goods. They also stopped at a weapon-smith who advertised enchanted weapons, and negotiated to have some work done. With freshly written letters of credit securely packed away, the trio walked toward the Temple of Tyr.

It was a magnificent structure, with three towers jutting into the sky. They walked under an archway created by an enormous marble carving of the scales of justice. They spent several minutes admiring bas relief carvings of scenes from the lives of several Tyrian saints before they were approached by a middle-aged man in dull gray field plate armor.

“Well met,” he said, bowing slightly when he saw Tantu. “I am Kelorn, of the Order of the Justicar. May I be of assistance to you?”

“Well met, Kelorn. I am Tantu, and these are my companions Alia and Ehput-Ki. I have come to pay my respects to my god, and to see if there are matters of concern to Tyr to which I may lend my strength.”

“Indeed? And do your companions also follow the will of Tyr?” Kelorn regarded Ehput-Ki for a moment. “This one appears to follow the gods of Mulhorand, not Faerun.”

“Though I am the only one who had sworn to serve Tyr above all others,” replied Tantu, “my companions are good and just, and would be willing to assist if the need were great.”

Kelorn considered the trio as Alia and Ehput-Ki nodded their agreement with Tantu’s words. “Then perhaps there is a matter which you could aid us with,” he said at last. “Please, come with me.”

He led them out of the main temple area into a long hallway, and ushered them into a small room. A mural of the Sword Coast was on one wall. Kelorn pointed at the map at a mountainous cluster just northwest of Waterdeep.

“The Sword Mountains,” he said. A small range of low mountains lying between Kryptgarden Forest and the Mere of Dead Men.”

“Sounds charming,” commented Alia.

“Indeed,” said Kelorn, either missing or ignoring the sarcasm, “skirting the foothills of the mountains has been the only safe road between these places. But in the last few days, several of the high priests here at the temple have been receiving disturbing visions in their dreams. They sense a growing menace in the mountains, an unidentifiable evil that threatens to spill south into our city. So troubling are these visions that the High Priest has commanded an expedition into the mountains to investigate. However, many of our people are away because of tomorrow’s festival, and so it will be a tenday before we’re ready to depart.”

“What would you wish of us?” Tantu asked.

“I would ask that you and your companions act as a scouting force. Journey into the mountains, see if you can discover the nature and source of this evil. Eliminate it if you can, or weaken it to give our forces a better chance to vanquish them. At the very least, any intelligence you can obtain would be helpful.”

“You say several of your priests have had these visions,” said Ehput-Ki. “Are these messages only being sent to priests of Tyr, or have those dedicated to other gods received similar messages?”

“That I do not know,” admitted Kelorn. “My duties to the temple prevent me from knowing much that happens outside its walls. You are free to inquire as to that.”

“If we do find something, and we find ourselves unable to escape, how will we be able to reach you?” asked Tantu.

Kelorn frowned, and scratched at his thick beard. “One moment,” he said, and walked out of the room. He returned ten minutes later with a rune-carved ivory wand, which he handed to Tantu.

“Break this,” he said, “and you will be able to send a short message that I will hear regardless of where I am, and I will be able to reply in a similar manner. Your message is limited to perhaps two dozen words, so choose what you say carefully. If I receive a message from you, I will assume that you are in fact in dire peril, and will come to your aid as quickly as I can with what men I have available at the time. Bear in mind that I will be several days behind you, however.”

“Thank you,” said Tantu, tucking the wand away. “I’ll speak with my companions tonight, and hopefully we can leave after the festival. But we must take our leave now. My companion here wishes to find the temple of his own god.”

They said their goodbyes and left. They came across the temple of Horus-Re about an hour later, a much smaller structure than the temple of Tyr. But care had obviously been taken to make it as glorious as possible within their limited space. Ehput-Ki conversed with the high priest at length, and learned that they, too, had been receiving strange dreams about an evil in the Sword Mountains. Ehput-Ki agreed to return tomorrow for a sunrise devotional, and to discuss the matter further. Before leaving, Ehput-Ki gave the priest a large sack of gold, a tithe for his church.

As they walked out of the small temple, Alia turned to Tantu. “So, how come you didn’t give any money to your church?”

Meanwhile, both Myoo and Niles had located the local Mage’s Guild. After paying for membership, which granted them lifetime spellcasting privileges within the city, they sat about the guildhall, discussing matters of arcane importance. Myoo was searching out anyone he could to give him tidbits on the construction of magical items, while Niles pumped the other wizards for local news and rumors.

“I say, Master Calvangnaw,” said one old wizard, puffing on a long pipe, “this is a rather exotic blend of pipeweed. Where did you say it was from?”

“Oh, just something I picked up in a little place in Tilverton,” he answered, smiling to himself. This ‘exotic blend’ was sure to loosen a few tongues.

Discussion turned to local matters. “So, what do you make of this rumor about the priests?” asked a mage in green robes.

“What rumor?” asked Niles.

“Oh, several of the priests of the good deities in town have been having dreams,” answered the pipe-smoking wizard. “Premonitions of some growing menace in the Sword Mountains. Has them in quite a stir.”

“I understand that the priests of evil gods are denying any knowledge of dreams or visions,” said a female sorcerer with short blue hair.

“True. Which means they’re either covering something up, or it involves a power outside their influence.” The wizard took another long draw from his pipe. “Either way, all I know for certain is that there’s been no credible confirmation of these priestly rumors through means of arcane divination.”

“What does that mean, exactly?” asked Myoo.

“Well, my boy,” sniffed the old wizard, “there are several means by which to confound direct divination, either divine or arcane in nature. The fact that we can’t see anything means that either there’s nothing there to see, or there’s something there that someone doesn’t want us to see. These visions may be the gods’ way of indirectly alerting the faithful to a problem.”

“Someone said that it’s all being caused by orc shamans,” interjected a young wizard, obviously just out of apprenticeship.

“Rubbish,” commented the green-robed mage. “Orcs lack the power or organization for such things. Whatever it is, it must be fairly powerful magically to be able to block all attempts to scry them. I suppose we’ll just have to wait until someone goes out there to investigate the matter directly.”

Myoo and Niles looked at each other, and nodded.

* * *​

Kiy walked through the streets of Waterdeep, letting his senses guide him. Though the press of people and buildings all around him seemed suffocating, he continued on. It had been decades since he’d last seen Waterdeep, and marveled at how much it had both changed and remained the same. He never could understand the human desire to live packed in as close as possible, closing themselves off from nature. Still, it was good to be out amongst them, to know that much more about the world he lived in.

Kiy felt a slight bump at his hip, and looked over to offer an apology to whomever he had run into. He saw a young child, no more than ten years, who had one hand wrapped around his coin purse and a tiny knife in the other ready to cut the strings.

His hand shot out and grabbed the young thief by the wrist. “This does not belong to you,” he said calmly. Still holding the struggling boy’s wrist, he dug out a silver coin and placed it in his palm. “That you may keep,” he said, and let the boy go, watching as he ran off into the crowd.

A few minutes later, as Kiy looked over a cart of surprisingly fresh-looking apples, he felt another brush against the same hip. Now aware of what that meant, his hand came down again, but closed on empty air. Kiy saw the same young boy again, clutching his coin purse as he turned and bolted for a nearby alley.

“Thief!” Kiy roared, as the bow came off his back. He notched two arrows at once, and let fly just as the boy reached the entrance to the alley. The arrows sliced into the back of the boy’s calves, and he fell with a cry of pain, still clutching the purse. As the street cleared of people, Kiy saw that he’d done no permanent damage, though the boy might have to take up begging for a few weeks instead of purse snatching.

As Kiy began to put his weapon away, he saw a hand reach out from the alley, trying to grab at his purse even as the boy dragged himself into the alley. Kiy rolled his eyes in disbelief; did these cretins never give up? Another arrow went flying, and a moment later Kiy retrieved his purse from the other rogue’s hand, pinned to a nearby rain barrel.

Kiy stepped into the alley to make certain there were no more thieves waiting. The boy had made it about halfway down, still sobbing. Kiy walked up and knelt next to the boy, ready to reprimand him further for his error in judgment. But a noise behind him caused him to pause.

Entering the alley from where she’d come in, four men carrying crossbows blocked off his exit. From the other direction, four more men with blades closed in.

“Ye should’ve left poor Sheldon alone, pointy-ears,” said one of them. “’E’s just trying to make a living, same as all of us.”

“Yeah, and I’m sure the donation of that nice bow o’ yours will help pay for ‘is full recovery,” said another.

Kiy’s eyes narrowed. “Just like a human not to know when to quit,” he said.

Four crossbows were leveled at Kiy as the other four charged in. Assessing the situation, Kiy closed in with the four wielding blades. The confusion of melee would cause some of the crossbow shots to be off their mark, and possibly even wound some of his enemies. He kept a grip on his bow; he’d trained extensively in using his weapon in tight quarters, and was able to avoid the attacks of the rogues as he plugged arrow after arrow into them. After two of his closest foes had fallen, he began to concentrate on the men with crossbows, using his own enemies as cover as he returned fire. Less than a minute later, it was over; all eight thieves were on the ground, dead or severely wounded, while Kiy nursed only a few minor injuries.

The City Watch arrived a few seconds later. After questioning Kiy and a few onlookers, they let Kiy go on his way. There were a few comments about ‘overkill’, which he ignored.

“You’ve helped up out more than you know,” said the Watch sergeant. “This gang was one of the worst of the lot. With them gone, we might be able to make some headway in ending this thieves’ war.”

Kiy nodded as the sergeant tipped his helmet and moved away to control the crowds. Before leaving, he went back and knelt down next to the young boy, whose legs were being wrapped in bandages by a Watch soldier. He dug into the boy’s pocket, and retrieved his silver coin.

“Next time,” he said, holding the coin up to the boy, “Don’t be greedy.”

* * *​

The next few days passed uneventfully for the party. A few eyebrows were raised at Kiy’s fresh scratches, but little was said. When it was discovered that several of them had heard similar stories about the Storm Mountains, they agreed it would be worth their time to investigate. The party agreed to leave two days after the festival, choosing to walk rather than use magical transport, in case there was valuable information to be gained along the way.

Greengrass Festival came and went. Alia was brought back to the Wailing Boar late that evening, almost unconscious and smelling of several varieties of alcohol by Tantu, Niles, and Kiy. The next day was spent finishing up personal errands, and they departed the morning of the second. The journey to the mountains took nearly a tenday – unfortunately, they learned little to shed light on what awaited them.

The mountains loomed over the heads of the party. They were bare crags of earth and stone, with an unusually low tree line. The peaks were obscured in strange, black storm clouds. Alia pointed toward a small pass between two peaks.

“I say we start there,” she said. “If something’s up there, they’d be occupying that spot most likely.”

The group traveled the rest of the day, reaching the tree line just before sunset. They camped just inside the woods, as thunder rolled down the mountainside, a grim forewarning of the trials to come.

The next morning dawned clear and crisp. After only a few hours travel, Kiy squinted and pointed at a shape high above them, near the sun. As they all tried to focus, they saw it was growing larger quickly.

“Dragon!” someone shouted, but it was too late to prepare as the beast swooped down, blasting the party with icy cold breath. Alia managed to avoid the dragon’s breath, but felt the cold grip of panic settle into her breast instead. She leapt away from the party, hoping to get away from the creature’s fanged jaws. As she moved, Tantu cursed to himself, shaking frost from his cloak. Once again he was prevented from bringing his god’s wrath to bear.

Ehput-Ki charged into battle, followed by Tantu. Kiy moved around to get a better shot, but his aim was spoiled as Niles conjured a wall of magical force in front of the dragon, hoping to block further breath attacks and cut off a potential charge. The dragon stepped around the translucent barrier and tore into the paladin with fang and claw, buffeting him with sheer power. Staggered but still fighting, Ehput-Ki lashed back, cutting deep into the dragon’s white scales.

Myoo and Niles attempted to bring their magic to bear, but found their spells sliding ineffectually off the wyrm’s back. Myoo, in particular, found his attempts to penetrate the mind of the dragon near useless, and with a snarl resorted to a wand of fireballs. Kiy repositioned himself and began firing arrows into the dragon, placing several good shots. Tantu moved around to help Ehput-Ki, while Alia jumped onto the dragon’s back. She was still unnerved by the wyrm’s power, however, and her blows were wild, often glancing ineffectively off its scales.

Ehput-Ki reeled as a blast from one of Niles’ fireballs singed him slightly, and then was on the defensive again as the dragon pressed its attack. Sorely wounded, the paladin called upon his holy power to heal himself, and was also healed by Tantu. But the dragon sensed an advantage, and kept coming. It used its own arcane power to summon a bank of vapors near the wall of force, riming the ground with ice and preventing anyone from using that route to flank him or retreat. Tantu moved back slightly in an effort to aid Alia, who’d had to jump off the dragon to avoid incoming fireballs and lightning bolts. The wyrm unleashed its full fury on Ehput-Ki, and the party watched, horrified, as he staggered, then fell.

As Alia moved around to the fallen paladin, potion in hand, the dragon whirled on Kiy, who had placed himself dangerously close to the wyrm. Kiy continued to fire arrows as Tantu attempted to call upon Tyr’s wrath again, but like Niles and Myoo found her power could not penetrate the dragon’s mystical defenses. Alia reached Ehput-Ki, and checked for signs of life. Finding no pulse or breath, she stood and moved away, knowing that he was beyond the ability of her healing potion to cure. Suddenly a large shape approached; Ehput-Ki’s warhorse Hebeny placed itself between the dragon and his master’s body, lashing out with razor-sharp hooves heedless of its own peril.

Finally, as the dragon began to rip into Kiy, he loosed a last arrow that caught it in the roof of its mouth, hitting something vital. As the white dragon writhed in agony, a small shape approached, flying out of Myoo’s cloak and hovering a few feet away. A pale beam of energy struck the dragon, and with a thunderous crash, it went down.

As the party slowly gathered, nursing wounds and trying to make sense of what happened, the tiny spherical shape floated back to Myoo. He tucked it away again, a small smile on his face.

“Excellent work, Iggy,” he said.

* * *​

The party remained near the site where the dragon had fallen. Kiy spent the day carving at the beast’s hide, and by nightfall had packed away enough scales to build a suit of armor. Tantu tended to the party’s wounds, then laid out Ehput-Ki’s body in preparation for the ritual he would perform in the morning to attempt to return him to life. Myoo and Niles discussed the dragon’s attack – though whites were commonly known to be least intelligent dragon, the beast’s sudden attack, with no attempt to parley or intimidate them, seemed odd.

“Perhaps the dragon is working with whatever mysterious forces lie within these peaks,” suggested Myoo.

“We should seek out its lair,” said Niles. “There may be clues there.”

“True,” said Myoo, “and I’m certain you won’t mind getting a crack at its hoard, either.”

Niles shrugged at the comment, grinning.

Of all the party members, Alia seemed strangely silent. She would occasionally be seen staring oddly at her various companions, particularly Ehput-Ki’s body. No one questioned her odd behavior, too exhausted from the battle.

* * *​

The Fugue Plain stretched out beyond forever, a sea of souls awaiting final judgment. Through this mass of the dead, a single figure strode, souls parting to let him pass. The figure appeared as a beautiful elf-like being with feathery wings, wearing a gleaming longsword on its hip. In one hand the being held a long golden trumpet. The being approached one of the countless souls on the Plain, a man of Mulhorandi descent wearing ornate plate armor, with a khopesh sword at his side.

“Ehput-Ki, paladin of Horus-Re,” intoned the being in a voice like a chorus.

Ehput-Ki nodded, then regarded the figure. “You have not been sent by my god to bring me to the afterlife,” he said matter-of-factly.

“No. I am Hazriel, archon in the service of the deity Tyr. His servant, the priest Tantu Nusaibah of Calimshan, has called upon us to return you to the world of the living. Will you accept this calling?”

Ehput-Ki pondered for a moment. “Does this mean that I am denied Paradise?”

“It is not my place to interpret the will of your god, Ehput-Ki. Know that you have a choice; to remain here in the Fugue Plane and await final judgment, or return to the Material Plane to continue your life-path.”

“I will return with you to the land of the living,” said Ehput-Ki after only a brief pause.

“There will be a price,” said Hazriel. “Kelemvor demands a tithe be paid by every soul that returns to the land of the living from the Fugue Plane. Your life-force shall be diminished. Do you still accept?”

“Yes.”

Hazriel nodded. “Then follow me.”

TO BE CONTINUED…

Last edited:

Delemental

First Post
:mad:

Well, I just found out that it's pretty likely that this campaign will be ending abruptly, as our DM doesn't want to run the game any more. Needless to say, I'm not happy. There will probably be a rant posted on the General board later.

Anyway, I will probably post the remainder of the adventures that I have written in short order, and that will be that for this thread. I know that I and the other players will be getting together to discuss what happens next; we have a good group of players and I'd hate to split up. With any luck, maybe I'll start a brand-new Story Hour sometime down the road.

Thanks to those who've offered comments, or just popped in to take a peek. Hopefully you'll check back to see the rest of what I've written.

Lela

First Post
Delemental said:
Well, I just found out that it's pretty likely that this campaign will be ending abruptly, as our DM doesn't want to run the game any more. Needless to say, I'm not happy. There will probably be a rant posted on the General board later.
That's too bad. This was getting good. The rest should be fun to read though, even without a future.

Be sure to post a link in this thread if you start up another Story Hour though. I'd like to read it. A link to your rant would be fine with me too. I'd like to find out what happened.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads