Skill Focus making skill a class skill

S'mon

Legend
Cyberzombie said:
I'm not seeing a problem there. :) Really, if the main argument is that it breaks the stereotypes of D&D, there is no problem. I played straight out-of-the-box 3e for an entire year, and exhausted its unmodified potential. After that, it's time to tinker. :)

There's not a big problem; it weakens Rogues relative to Fighters; and is also good for Clerics. IMC I find Rogues to be weak so I give them d8 hit dice while reducing Cleric spellcasting. If your game has lots of skill use and little combat your rules change will not be unbalancing, it'll just make Fighters more viable, but if Fighters already tend to dominate Rogues in play then Rogues need a boost also, maybe a free skill focus feat or +2 competency bonus to 1 skill every even level.

yennico

First Post
S'mon said:
It seems a bit overpowered to me; I'd recommend 1 cosmpolitan-type feat that makes 1 skill a class skill, then other feat that gives the +3 bonus. Otherwise you may get a lot of human Fighters with brilliant Spot skills. :)
I totally agree with S´mon. IMC a PC can only take SF for a class skill in which he has ranks.

yennico

First Post
Kerrick said:
I like the idea of Paired Skill Focus (I've thought about that a bit before too), but I've got my own twist on those paired skill feats (which might not work with this one): You can choose a +2 bonus with both skills, or +3 with one. I hate those feats that give a bonus to one skill that I need, and one that I never use (like Spellcraft and UMD). Paired Skill Focus effectively gets rid of this, though, so it's a much better choice.
If you dislike a +2/+2 for two skills feat do not talke this feat and take SF for the skill you want to boost :)
I personally dislike any +2/+2 feat because IMHO this feat is better than SF. With SF you boost the chance to beat the difficulty of one skill only by 15% but with a +2/+2 feat you boost the chances of two skills each by 10%.
I thought of downgrading the +2/+2 feat to +1/+1.

Remove ads