D&D 5E Skills Should Be Core

Obryn

Hero
That seems very anachronistic to me. I see the term "Dungeons and Dragons" as a nod to heritage, not a mission statement. Certainly, I don't use dungeons, and I would be pretty insulted if I showed up to a game and they started me on an old-school dungeon crawl.
It really is true. People on the internet will argue just about anything.

-O

Hussar

Legend
No they don't ... :)

That's not really an argument.... :D

But, while I'm not one for nostalgia or holding onto things for nostalgia reasons, I'm thinking that D&D that doesn't directly tie to dungeons and/or dragons is perhaps a bridge too far as far as changes go.

Warbringer

Explorer
That's not really an argument.... :D

But, while I'm not one for nostalgia or holding onto things for nostalgia reasons, I'm thinking that D&D that doesn't directly tie to dungeons and/or dragons is perhaps a bridge too far as far as changes go.

You're right, plus there was no insult, rage nor grandiosity.

Re Dungeon + Dragon elements being a bridge too far, given Dragonspear has both you might be right.

Re: Skill system. My reading is that "ability checks" are at the heart of even the basic system with some ties to either class or prime stat, a predefined list of "skills", getting advantage (or other bonus) on those skills. A "skill" system on top of that is essentially a way of choosing (or determined by backgrounds) which skills you get advantage (or whatever the bonus) on, rather than default. Systems that are even more granular (perhaps ranks) may be further subsystems.

Done right, the "ability check" roll and target DCs don't have too change; specialization isn't a "better" bonus that breaks the system, but allows choice

IMHO of course

Greg K

Legend
Don't you think that's a bit out of touch with what D&D is? I mean, every edition includes very lengthy sections in the DMG on how to run a dungeon crawl. Don't you think that the dungeon is a pretty integral element of D&D?

I don't. It stopped being about dungeons for me in the mid-eighties- about the time Katherine Kerr wrote her "Beyond the Dungeons" articles in Dragon. I think I have used only three dungeons since then and they were short.

Hussar

Legend
I don't. It stopped being about dungeons for me in the mid-eighties- about the time Katherine Kerr wrote her "Beyond the Dungeons" articles in Dragon. I think I have used only three dungeons since then and they were short.

I dunno. I don't use dungeons all that much either. But, otoh, I would be pretty sad if dungeons were ignored by the game.

Then again, I don't presume that D&D should be made for me personally.

Ahnehnois

First Post
It stopped being about dungeons for me in the mid-eighties
That's always been my impression as well; the dungeon pretty much died with all those (frequently very good) 2e settings that gave people reasons to play above ground. The name is a piece of nostalgia, but I'd argue that the name "Pathfinder" more accurately describes what modern D&D is about ("13th Age" too, for that matter).

Hussar

Legend
That's always been my impression as well; the dungeon pretty much died with all those (frequently very good) 2e settings that gave people reasons to play above ground. The name is a piece of nostalgia, but I'd argue that the name "Pathfinder" more accurately describes what modern D&D is about ("13th Age" too, for that matter).

Yet, funnily enough, if you look at Pathfinder adventures, you'll find LOTS of dungeon crawls.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Yet, funnily enough, if you look at Pathfinder adventures, you'll find LOTS of dungeon crawls.
That is weird, but then, those are just published adventures. I'm sure published adventures and organized play do continue to use dungeons and other retro elements. I kind of expect them to be the lowest common denominator, rather than doing anything creative or unconventional. I hope (and believe) that most DMs that run their own home games have higher aspirations.

Remove ads