Skills that take 1 action(?)

RObiN-HoOD

Explorer
"Tumbling is part of movement, not a separate action." as stated in the latest FAQ from WotC. So I presume that not all skills take 1 action to do them in combat.
For example if you want to "use magic device" you use that skill as part of your full-round or partial action but tumbling doesn't count for this because it's a skill that contributes to movement. Are there any other movement-related skills such as tumble? jump perhaps?

nsruf

First Post
Move Silently is probably also part of your movement. At least this is how I ruled it recently (for an invisible PC trying not to be heard in combat), because I couldn't find any rule to the contrary.

Trellian

Explorer
It would have been kinda silly not to combine a MOVE silently with a MOVE action. You're supposed to move silently.. right...

but IIRC, you move at half-speed, but you can take a -10 penalty and move normally... or was it -5... you can run at full speed with a -20 penalty

nsruf

First Post
Trellian said:
It would have been kinda silly not to combine a MOVE silently with a MOVE action. You're supposed to move silently.. right...

:p I didn't say "combine with", but "part of". The question is whether you can do anything else while sneaking around or if the "sneak" part of your movement takes up your standard action.

Dragonjester

First Post
Sometimes my players say that their PC's are looking around for other hidden opponents, or listening down a hall to hear if more opponents are coming. Those I make move equivalent actions. But if I decide they need to make a spot or listen check, it's usually a free action with a slightly higher DC.

dcollins

Explorer
Piratecat said:
Do you folks requite spot and listen to take an action, or is it "free"?

I guess I've always allowed them for free, just to streamline play (but, only on the PC's action, which occasionally irritates my players). It also keeps it consistent with those times when the DM makes such checks and they don't even know it's happening...

Remove ads